Duke_300

Apr 8, 2019
Hello. I was wondering if you guys have anything to note about the performance of the 1995 YZ 250. So far, I have heard the MX Action Magazine deemed it the best bike of the year, but that's about it. I appreciate any inputs in advance.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I had a 93 YZ/WR 250. Very similar engine with a wider ration gearbox.

I loved that bike but the suspension is worlds different than the modern suspension and the brakes had a tendency to fade. I put a Honda CR250 front master cylinder on and that helped the brakes a lot.

IMS makes a good large tank for it if you want to do an enduro or HS. The 95 YZ 250 can do modern mx courses but landings have to be perfect.

Eric Gorr can port the engine to be competitive with any modern 250 2 stroke.

Ivan

Duke_300

Apr 8, 2019
I had a 93 YZ/WR 250. Very similar engine with a wider ration gearbox.

I loved that bike but the suspension is worlds different than the modern suspension and the brakes had a tendency to fade. I put a Honda CR250 front master cylinder on and that helped the brakes a lot.

IMS makes a good large tank for it if you want to do an enduro or HS. The 95 YZ 250 can do modern mx courses but landings have to be perfect.

Eric Gorr can port the engine to be competitive with any modern 250 2 stroke.

Ivan

Thankyou for the reply! I received the bike, I was beginning to think nobody would respond haha. I will be doing the porting at home for fun, and to increase my skill in porting. I am also considering buying an extra cylinder head and experiment by shaving some of the aluminum off the slightly increase the compression and try different ignition timing degrees. Im interested in building a versatile dirt bike. However, I am leaning more towards the hard and more technical enduro type of riding which mostly compliments good suspension. I heard the angle of rake for this bike was decreased a bit for increased control at lower speeds which really benefits enduro.

Did you race the WR? =)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I raced but in the old and slow class... emphasis on slow :)

It was good in the woods setup with RaceTech revalving. I had someone do it and he didn't follow RaceTech's recommendations only because he had a lot of experience with the RT stuff and our riding areas so he knew how to get the most out of it.

I doubt you will be able to get as good of a ride out of it as a new KTM 250 smoker with their suspension A Kit but it really comes down to skill level.

In 2014 a kid named Jerry Robin raced a 1985 CR250 and made it to Loretta Lynn's MX so it is more about rider than bike.

I do believe if I had my old '93 I would ride it as fast as I could a modern smoker. But my riding style is more suited for a 4-stroke. I sold my '93 smoker for a 2001 YZ250F and had a 2003 and 2005 YZ250F as well as a 2003 CRF450 and a 2006 YZF450. My last bike was a 2001 Gas Gas 250 and I honestly was just as fast on it as the 2006 YZF and others told me the suspension sucked but it didn't feel any different to me than the 2006.

When you go slow you feel things a lot harsher so you don't notice good suspension as much :)

Ivan

Top Bottom