Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Excellent work Kav! You are really knocking out some good stuff mister. Impressive! I really like the artistic feel of the first one (helo) and the full shot is perfectly exposed. Nice.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
that is some serious stuff :cool:

i don´t know if is because is a smaller version but if you want to print that big the heli picture you may have to do some serious PP to be able to hide all the noise on the sky...
with or without noise is a GREAT picture, love the mix of light sources and colors...

edit: didn´t note before you plan shoot it again with large format camera. good luck :ohmy:

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Something just showed up in the mail today. Let the games begin....

i-WMwCRLL-L.jpg

i-z2RdfsP-L.jpg

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Kav going SERIOUSLY OLD SCHOOL. Nice!

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
now you are a real photographer!!!! :cool: look foward to see a scan!!!

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Rich, That's not all of what's on the way... But I got the entire combat camera kit from the USS Alabama from WWII for a song. It's in amazing shape too boot. Now I just need to load up some of the film I have in the freezer...

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Kav said:
But I got the entire combat camera kit from the USS Alabama from WWII for a song.

That is so awesome!

Someday you will have to take that gear to Mobile and get some shots of the ship. Never been there, but I've been to Wilmington, NC to see the USS North Carolina. Incredbile.

21st century shots of those ships by a talented hand with WWII era equipment - that would be epic. Got to do it while the film can still be found.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
dirt bike dave said:
That is so awesome!

Someday you will have to take that gear to Mobile and get some shots of the ship. Never been there, but I've been to Wilmington, NC to see the USS North Carolina. Incredbile.

21st century shots of those ships by a talented hand with WWII era equipment - that would be epic. Got to do it while the film can still be found.

That sounds like it could be a fun road trip. I didn't think it was still around.

And of course, some new pics:

DSC6310-L.jpg

DSC6534-L.jpg

DSC6501-L.jpg

DSC6592-L.jpg

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Sitting on the ramp:

DSC6653-L.jpg

How big the main rotor is compared to us:

DSC7200-L.jpg

Over the gulf:

DSC7211-L.jpg

This picture deserves an explanation: What is going on is we are going around a corner with such force that the camera thinks it's being held sideways. That's what it automatically rotated the photo. Also it feels like you gain 2-3 if not more times your body weight instantly while in the corner. And makes the 100 pound ammo can for the tail gun feel like it's suddenly 300 pounds or so. But I have to say, it's fun. Keep in mind the *empty* weight of the helo is a bit over 33,000 pounds It makes (and takes) a *tons* of power to keep it airborne when doing this:

DSC7280-XL.jpg

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
And some times I get to play too:

DSC7307-L.jpg

Looking for a target:
DSC7308-L.jpg

And found one:

DSC7309-L.jpg

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
dirt bike dave said:
Here is a link http://www.ussalabama.com/

Great to know the camera is in good hands.

Thanks for the link. Florida is not too far from me. I wonder what they would say... Time will tell.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've been on the Hornet a few times, and the North Carolina. Both great to see.

There was usually someone who served on the ship hanging out answering questions, but those guys get rarer each year. My guess is the docents would get a big kick out of your WWII camera gear.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Gomer, Pretty much. The door guns have 100 round cans and that tail gun holds 300 rounds. So that's pretty much what you do. But the trick is to hit a target while moving at about 100mph. I'm pretty good with the door guns, but with only shooting the tail gun once, I need some more practice. It's a totally different animal. The door guns only fire about 750 rounds per minute. The tail gun shoots about 1,100-1,200 rounds a minute. It's very angry.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Funny thing happend today. We had a gal from the public affairs office (PAO) come down to take some pictures and do a story on our aircraft. She took a few pictures and was then sent to me to see if she wanted to use any of my pictures. After reviewing them she picked about 10 she was very happy with for the story. She then told me she would like to get me signed up so be able to have my photos submitted to and officially used by the DOD due to the quality of them. (She looked at about 400 photos.) So I guess that makes me an official military photographer.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
:worship: :yeehaw: :worship: Way to go Kav!!!!!! That's awesome.

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Some from today:

After two days of rain, most of the dust has been washed out of the sky:

DSC9438-XL.jpg

DSC9461-XL.jpg

DSC9753-XL.jpg

DSC9784-XL.jpg

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
And inflight refueling:

We are wing-tip to wing-tip:
DSC9528-XL.jpg

DSC9544-XL.jpg

and RIGHT NEXT to the tanker:
DSC9541-XL.jpg

can't beat the view though:
DSC9547-XL.jpg

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
two more:

DSC9491-XL.jpg

DSC9908-XL.jpg

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
I'm using about 1/125-1/360 a second to still show some motion in the rotors. Today we had an EPIC flight! We found a little watering hole with baboons, camels, gerdunks (little antlopes), and so on. I even got to see a cheetah that was running down a African antilope. That thing was hauling ass! Watching that in real life vice on TV is AMAZING!!!

No photos of the Cheeta, but here's some for you... More to be uploaded later...

DSC1694-XL.jpg

DSC1929-X2.jpg

More to come...

Top Bottom