78kl250a

Jan 20, 2003
i have a 02 wr250. it is brand new. i took it out this weekend for the first time and it overheated. i was riding mostly 1st and 2nd gear, and mabey in the whole day made it to third once. it was also really muddy so there was not a chance to go fast at all. when i went out the bike was full of radiator fluid and when i came back there wasn't any left in the over flow or the radiator except mabey a half of a quart, if that. i was just wonderin if this is gonna continually be a problem if i continue to ride extremely slow and on muddy trails or if there is something wrong with the bike. thanks in advance

James Miller

Jul 26, 2002
Hey,

When my dad first bought his xr650, it did the same thing. When his did it, though, it had been idling for about 5 minutes while I was trying to crank my engine. It just dribbled out onto the ground. The guys at the honda shop said that just as long as you get some air flowing over it, it should quit. But you might want to call and ask because I putt around on my 650 all day in 1st and 2nd gear, and it's fine.

James

78kl250a

Jan 20, 2003
i also found another problem, or what i think is another problem. when i changed the oil in it today, i noticed that it didn't look so good. it was like a brownish green and looked really bad. i was wonderin if mabey anybody thinks i got something in there or if when the bike was assembled, whatever they used to put it together makes it look like this. does anybody know, cause right now im kinda scared that i messed my bike up really bad and i only rode it once, i would call the shop now but there already closed. thanks for any input.

Roost165

Nov 18, 2002
Sounds like a faulty water pump seal to me. I'd call the shop and see if they would check it out. If not it should not be too hard to fix yourself.

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
When & where did you buy it? if you bought it new from Yamaha, it should have six months of warranty on it. My TTR did. If so, take it back to the dealer for warranty work. Sounds like you're getting coolant in your oil.

78kl250a

Jan 20, 2003
well, i bought the bike on the first of the month. it only came with a 30 day warranty, so i think i will call the shop tomarrow and get my bike in there before the warranty is up. cause judging by what everybody has said there is something wrong with it, so thanks for the info, ill let everybody know whats wrong once i find out

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
Dont let them fool you into this is normal. I dont think so IMO.

Overheating like you say, and your oil being that discolored like you described after your 1st ride?

I have a YZF, and I can lug around anywhere slow, 1st, 2nd,
once in a while maybe 3rd, (Like You) with no problem like you described.
Good Luck.

78kl250a

Jan 20, 2003
so i took the bike in on saturday. i called them today and they told me i could pick up my bike. i asked what was wrong with it and they said nothing was wrong with it. they said that the oil was supposed to be looking like that because of the oil they put into it to break it in. then with the radiators bein low on fluid they said they didn't know why they were but that there was nothin wrong with them. my only guess is that when i got stuck at the bottom of a ravine and didnt get out for a half hour that i just got it to hot and it blew out the overflow onto the ground.

78kl250a

Jan 20, 2003
i hit the wrong button. so my question for everyone outthere is, has anybody had there oil come out as a greenish brown color. i figured that the whitish shough that settled at the bottom was whatever they put the engine together with, but the greenish brown oil, i still dont like that, has anybody else had there bike give them oil this color after the first oil change. thanks

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by James Miller
I'm not trying to fool him. It's obviously not a good sign that his oil is discolored.

I was meaning the Shop, and or Dealer that he got his bike from.
Sorry for the mis-communicaction.

flattire

Apr 5, 2002
Have any of you guys tried Evans waterless coolant? This stuff is a life time coolant it doesn't boil until 365 degrees not under pressure where water boils @ 212 under pressure. You just have to make sure you have all the water out of the system before you put it in. It also protects from freezing down to -40. Check it out at www.Evavscooling.com

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Your bike could be running lean! If you got your bike new and removed the baffel and air box lid it needs to be rejeted. Dose it pop and spudder and idel up and down?
If so its lean and a lean bike runs HOT at idel. If your beating around in first and second you tend to spend alot of time with the throttle closed and your running on the pilot jet. I had the same issue with my WR 400 pushing out coolant when riding in a big SLOW group on a warm day, 1st 2nd gear. Thank goodness for the overflow tank and my 1000 Ml camel back! :D.
I bumped up the PJ and it starts much better and idles better and runs cooler. Check the mix of your coolant too or use that watter wetter or other heat tranfer additive too. It makes a big differance on a small displacement coolings system with low air flow.

Top Bottom