Over the hill beginner - can I ride into my 60's?

P-Funk

Apr 15, 2008
I just recently discovered dirt biking at the age of 40. I've been on two rides and I'm completely hooked. Why didn't I realize how fun this was 10 or 20 years ago? I gotta make up for lost time. I'm hoping I'll still be able to ride when I'm 60.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I started riding at age 46. Now I am 52. A year ago I started riding Enduros. Some of the guys I compete against are well into their 60's and kick my butt.

If you have been a couch potato all your life and just started riding you may have a lot of trouble. If you have been active in something all along then I don't see why not.

Rod

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
I guess I'm willing to find out, too. Bought my first bike at 46, only just getting a chance to really get at it, though. I'll be 48 next month. No time like the present. Welcome Aboard. :cool:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
My dad still rides (all freakin day long) at 65 ... no end in sight.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
There is this guy by the name of Malcolm Smith ... age means nothing, attitude means all. :cool:

Don't worry about your age, I'm an old fart (or so my friends tell me) at age 43. Still riding and loving it, and I don't intend to stop any time soon.

P-Funk

Apr 15, 2008
Those are all very reassuring responses. I figured as much. I've been an avid cross country and downhill mountain biker for the past 10 years, so I have a pretty good fitness level, but these bikes weigh quite a bit more. I'm going to need to get a little stronger in the upper body. The only real problem I have is finding enough time to ride. Between the wife and kids it's hard, but I'll make it work. How often do you guys get out to ride?

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
oh man

i wish i could get my dad into riding, you guys must be pretty cool dads. my dads excuse is that it hurts a lot more to fall down, when your old, that it is easier just to stay on the ground at that point lol

P-Funk

Apr 15, 2008
atkkid250 said:
i wish i could get my dad into riding, you guys must be pretty cool dads. my dads excuse is that it hurts a lot more to fall down, when your old, that it is easier just to stay on the ground at that point lol

I don't know if it hurts more (maybe a little), but the recovery time is definitely longer. My dad is kind of like yours. He never did anything remotely athletic, adventurous, etc. I guess I fell far from the tree. Both of my kids are girls, but I've hinted at getting them a quad and they sounded excited.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Okay. I'll bite at that last one.
Why not get the girls bikes? Seems to make more sense.
As for riding time- not near enough.

MSB22

Feb 19, 2008
I hope you can ride into your 60's cause im gonna be riding a bike...til the day a die...and if they make them illegal for some reason SOMEDAY...I'll build my own :)

P-Funk

Apr 15, 2008
fatcat216 said:
Okay. I'll bite at that last one.
Why not get the girls bikes? Seems to make more sense.
As for riding time- not near enough.

Well, my girls are 5 & 8 right now, and to be honest they're not even very accomplished bicyclists yet, so I felt they'd feel much more confident on quads.

mudronin

Sep 21, 2006
One of the fastest guys I have ever ridden with is pushing 60. He puts lots of young guys to shame! I am 38 and have only been back into it for 2 yrs but take my advice.... STRETCH before and after every ride and if you can't ride that day or week do something to keep your muscles in tune!
You could find a bare patch of ground and just work on the fundamentals(I do once a week in my yard). I also have a dualsport that I ride to work or on errands when time forbids a real trip.

Welcome to the sport!

Mud~

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
I'm 23, I just wanted to say that you're not old till you're 75. It's all in your mind. If you feel young you are. If you feel old, you are. I don't consider 40's or 50's to be old. It's like the new 30. Get out there and kick some A S S. I play lacrosse with 55 year old men who can run laps around me, and i am pretty fit. Good to see you guys are still riding. Enjoy life, it all goes so fast.

P-Funk

Apr 15, 2008
mudronin said:
One of the fastest guys I have ever ridden with is pushing 60. He puts lots of young guys to shame! I am 38 and have only been back into it for 2 yrs but take my advice.... STRETCH before and after every ride and if you can't ride that day or week do something to keep your muscles in tune!
You could find a bare patch of ground and just work on the fundamentals(I do once a week in my yard). I also have a dualsport that I ride to work or on errands when time forbids a real trip.

Welcome to the sport!

Mud~

Yeah, I'm trying to find a place to ride that's close enough so I don't have to drive 1.5 hours. I think I've found one about 30 mins away, so I can practice a few times a week while my kids are in school.
Thanks for the welcome.

Jeromeo said:
I'm 23, I just wanted to say that you're not old till you're 75. It's all in your mind. If you feel young you are. If you feel old, you are. I don't consider 40's or 50's to be old. It's like the new 30.

I totally agree. I really don't feel 40. And I certainly don't act 40; more like 18. Someone once said "If you didn't know how old you are, would you know how old you are?"

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
P-Funk said:
Someone once said "If you didn't know how old you are, would you know how old you are?"

I often act like I am a lot younger. I may get away with it at the time, but then my body reminds me of how old I really am for the next week or so.....

Rod

P-Funk

Apr 15, 2008
rmc_olderthandirt said:
I often act like I am a lot younger. I may get away with it at the time, but then my body reminds me of how old I really am for the next week or so.....

Rod

Yeah, I'm certainly familiar with that.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
P-Funk said:
I'm hoping I'll still be able to ride when I'm 60.

P-Funk.

The key to riding to a ripe old age is protective gear. Buy yourself all of the best protective gear you can find. Good helmet, boots, neck roll or brace, chest protector, knee guards or braces, elbow pads, gloves, riding pants and wear all of it every time you ride.

It is amazing how hard a rickety old body can hit the ground and get up and ride away when you're wearing all the right stuff. Don't ask me how I know that. :yikes:

Stretching before you ride is very important like mudronin said. It limbers up your muscles and if you do crash you are less likely to break or tear something. The best way to build yourself up for riding is riding itself. Just take it slow and easy at first until you learn control.

P-Funk

Apr 15, 2008
Ol'89r said:
P-Funk.

The key to riding to a ripe old age is protective gear. Buy yourself all of the best protective gear you can find. Good helmet, boots, neck roll or brace, chest protector, knee guards or braces, elbow pads, gloves, riding pants and wear all of it every time you ride.

It is amazing how hard a rickety old body can hit the ground and get up and ride away when you're wearing all the right stuff. Don't ask me how I know that. :yikes:

Stretching before you ride is very important like mudronin said. It limbers up your muscles and if you do crash you are less likely to break or tear something. The best way to build yourself up for riding is riding itself. Just take it slow and easy at first until you learn control.

I do have all of the protective gear, except for neck brace & chest protector, and I wear it religiously. Stretching I've never done, but maybe I'll try it.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Boy, the first time your bars break a rib or your helmet your collarbone I'm thinking you'll be wishing you had both of those last two.

The very first time I took my bike onto dirt a small stick caught my back tire and flinged us both to the ground. As my bars deflected off my chest I laughed at how I dodged that one. On the other hand, my unprotected leg had a bruise that last for three months.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
P-Funk said:
I do have all of the protective gear, except for neck brace & chest protector, and I wear it religiously. Stretching I've never done, but maybe I'll try it.

Stretching is crucial. Even at 23 I NEED to stretch. Big thing you have to focus on is the legs. I feel alot more pain and aches when I don't stretch. You'll see yourself.

P-Funk

Apr 15, 2008
Question - is the Leatt neck brace really worth all that money? I guess spending money on my safety is a much wiser investment than on unnecessary upgrades for the bike.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
P-Funk said:
Question - is the Leatt neck brace really worth all that money?
My son wears the brace, and as he gets faster I feel even better about my decision to invest in it. Just think of all safety gear as investments in your future.

P-Funk

Apr 15, 2008
FruDaddy said:
My son wears the brace, and as he gets faster I feel even better about my decision to invest in it. Just think of all safety gear as investments in your future.

Yeah, I agree....but EVS makes a pretty nice looking brace for half the price.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom