ktmzak

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 2002
Hi there DRN:

I have a P3 that I transferred onto my new 450Exc... I am using the stock pickup and magnet that came on the 03, but the unit now has started to shut down after a few minutes of riding. I changed batteries, checked the battery connections and connection to the piuckup and magnet, all looks good. battery level at 110% I can run through the setup and the magnet shows it hitting when i spin the front wheel, but whenever I start down the trail, the mileage increments and then poof, it shuts down.

Has anyone seen this happen on their unit before? what did you do to correct it, other than go out and buy an ICO?

thanks in advance for any suggestions, comments

bill

cr-one

Feb 11, 2000
Had same problem with mine,I got some clear silicone and put around all the buttons and screen(I think moisture was getting to mine)and this seems to have done the trick.No more shutdowns in the middle of the fastest section!!!!

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Static shock is the only other thing I can think of. Mine shut down in a race once because of it. Spraying it with static gaurd I thinkis the solution.

scrambler220

Mar 3, 2000
While we're troubleshooting: My will go through a new set of batteries in about 1 race. Mid-way (no certain mileage) my odometer will quit counting, and then randomly start working again towards the end of a race. The only idea I've heard is that I had it taped to the throttle cable, and supposedly that can cause problems. Any technical ideas, or is it the boogie man?

CERAChris

May 22, 2002
When my old Pacemaker started acting up, I had some luck re-initializing the memory chip. This is done by removing the batteries and placing a paperclip or other metal object between the top left and middle left battery terminals. Ground that thing for about 10 seconds, and then pop the batteries back in. The procedure is in the owner's manual.

I did this several times over the 9 years I had the Pacemaker, then I bought an ICO Checkmate.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I've ran nine races over a ninth month period on a set of batteries. While that is not the norm,usually I get a few less races. I defintely think you should get a hold of Fred Hoess and talk to him about your problems.

ktmzak

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 2002
The problem is: Fred Doesn't return phone calls or emails. At least when Pete Dennison ran things, you could call and get a live body to talk to, now I just get VM and no one ever returns the calls.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I've only dealt with him once. I did have toleave a mesage but he did return my call. Good luck with it, hope it works out, it's bad to own something like that and it not work.

Jtown

Nov 26, 2001
Are you guys using resistor spark plugs? I don't know about other brands, but NGK spark plugs with the resistor have an "R" in the model, like BR8ES. My friend had a Ghost Rider computer that would go haywire without a resistor plug. There's something about electrical interference with a normal spark plug that can transmit through the throttle cable if it's close to the plug, which runs close to the computer, screwing it up. You may also make sure the throttle cable isn't touching the plug wire or coil and that it doesn't touch the computer.

ktmzak

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 2002
Nope, the wires do not touch the throttle cables. I have them mounted to the brake line which is on the front of the tripleclamps, the throttle cables run to the back or rider side of the clamps. Thanks for the idea though, I'll check the plug type.

Top Bottom