Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
As found on Subaru's Rally site.

Saturday & Sunday

Weather: Saturday - Rain, Sunday - Mostly Sunny
Temperature: 60’s
Road Surface: Lose Gravel

Travis gets 2nd Place Overall!!

With an incredible effort and show of skills Travis Pastrana drove his brand new Subaru STi to a second place overall finish at this weekend’s Oregon Trail Rally. With only four rally events under his belt this is simply an amazing result. A huge congratulations goes out to Travis and his co-driver Christian Edstrom for a fantastic finish. With no fuss or stories they simply drove fast all weekend long. Travis even set a couple of the fastest stage times beating the world rally legend Stig Blomqvist. The Swede however, with his decades of professional rally racing was too quick for Travis and held his lead, winning the event by slightly over a minute in a similarly equipped Group N Subaru WRX.

Travis reported that he had an "Awesome" time and was really excited about his result and all the support he is getting from Subaru, Red Bull, Michelin, Vermont SportsCar and DC Shoes. Speaking of DC Shoes, Travis’ teammate Ken Block also had a good run this weekend, but did suffer some damage and delays on Stage 16 Sunday morning. Ken, with Alex Gelsomino copiloting their WRX, got too close to the inside of a turn about a hundred yards from the finish line. The impact threw the car up on its side briefly before sliding across the road and landing back on all four. They were stuck for about fifteen minutes losing valuable time, but were finally pulled back on the road and completed the event ending up in sixteenth place overall.

Matt Iorio and Ole Holter in their 2001 Open Class WRX had fast times as well, securing fourth place. Overall they had a great race, the car was very quick and gave them no problems. Wyeth Gubelmann had a few changes to his routine this weekend. In addition to a shiny new silver WRX STi, Cindy Krolikowski was a first time co-driver for Wyeth, but they worked well together and the new car finished third in Group N, fifth overall.

Right behind Wyeth was Bill Bacon and Peter Watt who on several stages placed top stage times. Earlier in the race some shift linkage problems had forced them to drive an entire stage in third gear. They tried to make up for lost time, but slippery conditions and loose surfaces made it difficult for them to reel in the fastest cars. Sixth place is still a great result and Bill is looking forward to the next race.

2004 Champions Pat Richard and Nathalie Richard entered the event and were eager to battle it out with Stig Blomqvist. They were finally in the groove claiming the fastest stage times on Stages 8-10 and were quickly closing the gap between them and Stig. An unfortunate transmission failure (selector fork) left the car stuck in neutral in the middle of Stage 11 and they simply rolled to a stop at a spectator point, unable to finish the race. A disappointing result for Pat and Nathalie who won this event last year, but we all know they will be back for more.

Make sure you take a look at the photo gallery! There are tons of great images from Oregon Trail Rally. Next on the Rally America Championship schedule is STPR in Pennsylvania. The event takes place on June 4th. If you want to see Travis in action for yourself, meet us in Wellsboro!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday - Day 1

Weather: Mostly Sunny
Temperature: 60’s
Road Surface: Paved Track & Gravel

The rally season is back on! The 2005 Oregon Trail Rally started today with the first four stages being run at the Portland International Raceway. Travis Pastrana was on the scene and eager to get the wheels spinning in his slick blue camouflage WRX STi. Having entered only a few rally events his motocross talent is sure to shine through and everyone is excited to see what Travis will be able to do with four wheels on the ground – at least more on the ground than what he is used to! With an agreement between Travis and Subaru he will be driving at all remaining 2005 Rally America events.

Also in position and ready for more seat time was Ken Block who has quickly been adding rallies and experience to his track record. Throughout the season it’s going to be great to see Ken and Travis battle it out in matched cars both being prepared and serviced by Vermont SportsCar. Stay tuned for a full report once the rally really gets going in the Oregon woods Saturday.

Today’s stages mainly created for spectators and to showcase these amazing machines ran with a mix of beautiful sunshine, light rain and even the occasional lightning bolt. With two out of four stages being run on the actual paved race track it provided a unique experience for teams who are normally chewing up dusty roads and sliding sideways through turns. Even on the tarmac there was no lack of action or tire smoke as over sixty cars made their way through the stages.

Travis Pastrana wasted no time and settled into a third place position overall after Day 1 and first in his Group N class. Only seconds are separating the cars at this point so when the rally hits the stage roads tomorrow be ready for anything to happen.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
While I'm a huge TP fan, maybe an exoskeleton is what he needs to help him see 30 years? I hope he races outdoors this summer!

plysWfire

Mar 1, 2001
If you guys are TP fans, you should go listen to last weeks DMXS show over at dmxsradio.com. The hosts are pretty corny, but they have a great interview with TP's trainer about 1.5 hours into the show or so. He talks alot about TP and his plans, trainning, abilities, injuries etc. I found it to be quite interesting, but then again I'm easially amused.

deano...

cr250can

Feb 16, 2005
stangera said:
cr250can:
Do you know who TP is? Are you aware of what he's done in the sport?

Who are you? What have you accomplished?
Of course I know who Travis Pastrana is :coocoo: . He was at one time a very exiting dirt bike racer that had several 125 wins and even won a championship. However as the story progresses we see the exiting young racer let all the publicity and commercialization get to him. he began to dabble in other things than motorcross/supercross racing. (ie: freestyle, sydiving, rally car racing, mountain biking, :blah: ) as he dabbles in all these other interests his fragile mind becomes less focused on supercross, and his delicate body is repeatedly being broke. after he switches to the 250 class he lands a suzuki factory (with roger decoster as team manager) and continues to be a big disapointment in the 250 class which results in last year him losing his factory ride. this year he has 3 sx races and 3 DNF or DNS. Oh, almost forgot he does not plan on nationals this year but plans on summer x-games (remember what happened there last year?)
Like I said maybe he should stick to rally car racing because he can at least finish a race.
As for who I am, well if you can't tell I was once a TP fan but have since become jaded by TP's lack of focus, and self disapline.
What are my acomplishments? I have never broken any bones riding a dirtbike. :fft:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
cr250can said:
What are my acomplishments? I have never broken any bones riding a dirtbike. :fft:

Quite an accomplishment. The throttle is on the right side of the handlebars, try twisting it harder next time. Can't recall the exact quote but to paraphrase "It's better to be a racer for a day, than a spectator for life."

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
"plaster makes you faster"

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Ok kids thats enough :)

Top Bottom