Jaibbe

Jan 26, 2002
I was wondering how did Edmondson in U.S enduro series? Was he good or not? He returned back to World Enduro Series with comments " Offcourse I will win the championship!" But what happened? He is now injured and speed in races before that wasn't good at all. He has no change to take title in classes which has Finnish riders. So was Fast Eddy fast then?

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
I think he only raced the GNCC but I am not sure. He was about 2 minutes behind me at the ISDE in 2001 and when he past he was sure FAST! Racing is kind of funny. Some years all is good and other years it just sucks. Look at Shane Watts for example.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I saw this question when you first posted it, but held off on replying.  My memory of the time period is a little fuzzy.   Here's what I can remember:

Eddy was a regular finisher on the podium in the GNCC series.  I can't remember if he ever overalled a GNCC though.

He raced the AMA National Hare Scrambles series too.  I think he may have won a few of those events, but here again, I can't remember for sure.

I think he was plagued with various injuries each year that he was over here too.

Sorry for the incomplete information. 

Jaibbe

Jan 26, 2002
Girlrider... You were racing in ISDE? International Six Days Enduro?? I thought that only 6 best riders of country are there... Ok you maybe one of them but but... Are we talking about same race?

WOODSGUY

Sponsoring Member
Mar 20, 2000
Edmonson actually won the National Hare Scramble title one year. If memory serves correctly he also Overalled a GNCC event. Also he won the Moose run a time or two.

He always seemed to get hurt. A shoulder problem I beleive. He kept dislocationg it. I remember seeing him on one of the GNCCs on Fox and he had tangled with a lapper and hurt his shoulder. To me his demeanor was kind of like the whole world was against him or at least the lappers.

If I had to say what hurt Eddy over here it was the fact that he was an enduro racer. Head to head competition for three hours just wasn't his thing. Although he didnt fare too bad as he did win an AMA title. How many folks can say that? Also he rode for Suzuki when he first got here and they were a GNCC only squad. When he signed with Kawasaki is when he started riding better and won some races as they let him ride pretty much whatever he wanted. At the ISDE this year he showed up in a Minnie Winnebago type motorhome with a small cargo area big enough for his wore out practice bike. His dad had brought a bunch or year old Wulfsport jackets that he was selling real cheap and alot of the Americans who were caught off guard by the cold weather bought one to wear. If you will notice in some of the pics from the ISDE alot of guys were wearing Wulsport riding jackets.

As far as the ISDE team goes, usually the top six riders out of the qualifiers ride on the Trophy Team who competes as Team USA against the rest of the countries' Trophy Teams for the Overall team title. Then you have a 4 man Junior Trophy Team. Then the AMA usaully takes a group of riders who are the next top 30 or so qualifiers and they make up 3 man club teams. All in all the AMA took 43 people who competed this year. If you can get past the money end of it. Making the American ISDE team as a club rider is not that far fetched an idea. But having to pay your way 100% is really expensive. But to me it was well worth it. Even though my new bike broke on day 1 and I went in debt up to my ears I would do it again in a heart beat. As a matter of fact I have gooten last years paid for just in time to start thinking of doing it again.

Carrol

CERAChris

May 22, 2002
Yes, Edmondson won the 2000 AMA National Hare Scrambles title. He rode that series as well as the GNCC's. He never got close to winning the more prestigious GNCC series, mostly due to injuries. I agree that Eddy's skills seemed to be more attuned to the pace and style of ISDE-type European enduros, as opposed to American enduros and cross-country races. His technical bike-handling skills were highly regarded by the riders in the U.S.

Jaibbe

Jan 26, 2002
Yeah I remember that he didn't like races in U.S because they were too dangerous or something... Well it wasn't safer in Europe.

I wish that (unknow enduro rider to you) Juha Salminen would come someday to race in U.S Because he has won everything what can be won in Europe. But it seems that he is more interested going in MXGP...

sweden_345

Jul 17, 2002
Swedish rider Anders Eriksson is way more better than Juha Salminen is
His results speak for it self. (7 times world champion+ISDE winner (individual) overall a few times.

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Jaibbe,

Yes I did ride the ISDE and that year Paul was not on the trophy team so he was back with the club riders and right behind me since we both were on 250's. In 2001 the AMA took a 3 women team and I was part of that. 2 of us finished all 6 days and 1 lady was hurt badly on day 1. You can read my story at http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/events/isde/2001/.

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Originally posted by CERAChris
His technical bike-handling skills were highly regarded by the riders in the U.S.
Funny that you mention this. I met Paul at a Parts Unlimited off road event two (maybe it was three?) years ago... really seemed to be a nice guy. Anyway, we had some down time and everyone was just kinda being lazy around the pit/staging area. Paul was tooling around on his bike, just playing on various obstacles. He sure did some AMAZING things on that bike! Someone said he has a trials background... I don't know if thats true, but I realized from watching him that you have to constantly keep trying new things on a bike. His skills with the bike, that I witnessed while he was just fooling around, were nothing short of incredible.
I know nothing about his competitive career, but he sure impressed me that day!

Jaibbe

Jan 26, 2002
Swede

Yes its true that Erikkson has many championships but that doesn't prove that he is best rider NOW. He should stayed the 500cc class and prove is he the best with Salminen. He will win this year in 450cc class because he has no threat there. If Salminen continues racing in WEC he will take record of championships for sure. No Erikkson isn't best... Salminen, Merriman, Aro... they all would kick his ass and remember that Erikkson is in 7th position in WEC Overal.

And Girlrider

Goddam...

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by WOODSGUY
Edmonson actually won the National Hare Scramble title one year. If memory serves correctly he also Overalled a GNCC event. Also he won the Moose run a time or two.

That's what I thought, but I could remember for sure, and I didn't want to post it and then be guilty of a huge step out.

His technical bike-handling skills were highly regarded by the riders in the U.S.

One of the coolest things I've seen was in a video.  Eddy comes into the pits and rides a front wheelie for maybe 40 - 50 feet and then sits the bike down on his bike stand without ever touching the ground with his feet.  It was so impressive.  I wish I could do that.  Anyone else ever see him do that?

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
I've only seen it on Time to Ride 1. If you want to see more of Eddy trashin' trail, TTR2 has a Eddy clip in it. For your info, GirlRider not only did the ISDE and finished, she rides trials as well.

Jaibbe

Jan 26, 2002
Swede

He kicked yes... on a year one and two. Here is little statics for you

WEC Overall

2003 Salminen 1th Erikkson 7th
2002 Salminen 1th Erikkson 4th
2001 Salminen 1th Erikkson 3th
2000 Salminen 1th WITH 125cc BIKE! Erikkson ?

So if you still argue that Mr. Erikkson is better you don't know anything about this sport or you are just playing stupid.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I remember the National enduro in Michigan late in 2001.  Edmondson was there are finished second to Lafferty (who had already wrapped up the championship and was allowed to ride a four stroke).   On that day, Paul beat the Gas Gas guys, the Garrahan brothers and Hawkins.

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Originally posted by Timr
[/size][/font]

Eddy comes into the pits and rides a front wheelie for maybe 40 - 50 feet and then sits the bike down on his bike stand without ever touching the ground with his feet.  It was so impressive.  I wish I could do that.  Anyone else ever see him do that?

Saw him do it in person at the ride I was at... it was cool to see!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Magoo - Wasn't it Paul who also did a stoppie onto a bike stand at a Parts Unlimited ride (and won $100)?

<The P.U. online magazine used to have pics of the Marquette ride of Paul doing this, but the site was redone and the archives aren't back online yet.>

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Smit-Dog, that was what I was referring to. He did some other incredible stuff, like doing a 5th gear burnout with his rear wheel on a 22" log (front wheel on the ground) while the club members gathered around him for a photo op -- coolest part was he NEVER put his fooot on the ground the entire time!

Top Bottom