bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Figured I'd post this here! If it looks good or I get good feedback from those I trust, I might move it to the General forum!

So I posted awhile ago, my “I hate JPM Chase Bank” , yet this event has empowered me and flat out pissed me off! So I want to hopefully encourage others here to try and get off the “Juice”! If a couple of you younger people can get something out of this, then it’s worth it to me to lay it out like this!
To give a brief background, I ‘m trying really hard to get out of the Middle Class trap almost all my family is in! I want my toys, I want my freedom, I want a disposable income, and I want to do what I want when I want to do it. I want cars that run, and my kids to have fun! I do not want to get discouraged and end up working, smoking, watching TV, and drinking my life away because I can’t break out!

To achieve those goals as a College drop out I have to work a little harder, thus I have a Full time Job and a Farm that generates about 8 hours a day 7 days a week in Chores that have to be done, with a lot of other things that “should” be done. The more I can do myself the more I can save, which is thus income! However, I have for the last 10 years carried a huge credit card debt, I have great credit, but I also have a lot of Bills and live paycheck to paycheck like most people. So I’ve never been able to catch up. So like most folks I get the statement, look for the minimum due, add enough to help pay it down and look to next month to apply a larger amount to pay it down. Next month always brings something unexpected. For example here are a few from recently; $550 vet bill, $600 set of new tires, Christmas (everything), Birthdays, $600 for 2 Soccer camps and 2 Fall registrations fees plus uniforms, and the worst of it all the death of the Washing Machine (of course we Wash Huge Horse Blankets so we got the largest front load) $1,800, but it’s an energy saver ;) ! So there’s just a few of my last 7-8 months of spending. We don’t drink, we don’t smoke, and we don’t really ever go out for expensive meals/movies, so we do conserve quite a bit there
So I had 1 card for 8 years at a fixed 6.9% with a large amount, that JPM-Chase switched to an adjustable 12.9%, raising the minimum about $100, no late payments mind you (just did it to all low interest accounts). Well, had a job switch a couple years ago and had to buy some suits. So got a card at a department store and put another $1,500 on that for 5 outfits and a couple shoes, so there it sits today at about $1100 at 14.9%, I’ve put a few things on it as emergencys only, I was trying to pay it off 1st! Then of course Sears was the washing machine and I have 4 more months to pay it off, got 0% for 12 months, but will be hit with 24.9% for the remaining balance, which is conveniently at the full original amount, so thinking I need to start paying that down!
So there I am, about $20,000 in bad debt, can’t refi the house and pay it off because my Debt to Income ratio is not in the good zone because of Credit cards. The County assessed value is now 25% higher then I paid, land value has more then doubled, but I can’t refi. I got the equity and the credit score, but what can I do?

Well, at about 10:30PM Friday night while out hauling hay and been working since 6am that morning, I had an ephinay :yikes:
Well, I decided to sell my pickup, 2000 Dodge Diesel. I got it on consignment for $19,995. Dealer gets $400 for selling it, should come down to maybe 19,000. I should get about $18,500 so hopefully I should be able to pay off everything but Sears!!!!!!! Then I get my work bonus and will pay off Sears. As of August 1st (If pickup sells) I should be credit card free! I’m sooo excited I can’t explain it. :cool:

This will free up about $450 a month in CC minimums! No more minimums for me, as Okie said it will be a cash program going forward, except loans with a specific time table, like 5 year car loan!
Once the cards are paid off, my previously mentioned debt to income ratio will be fixed. At that point I can refinance, use the equity I’ve gained to pay off my 2nd Mortgage and eliminate the PMI, and save another huge chunk each month.
At that point I’ll trade in the Tahoe which has a $4800 KBB trade in value that I have not been able to sell now for 2 years and look for a new Dodge, hopefully the Employee pricing is still going on!!
With the cards gone and eliminating my 2nd Mortgage which is at 9.9% all save almost $1,000 a month in Interest. I'll have a new truck and still be way ahead of where I am today!

So that’s my story, I’ve been very very discouraged the last few months/years and can see the light at the end of the tunnel! If anyone is in the trap, start looking at ways to get out! But cancel that junk and get yourself free! Cancel the Cell phones, pagers, Cable, and drink a few less beers or smoke a couple less packs a week and you’ll be able to crawl ahead. Took me 10 years!
Any one who wants to chat PM me, I’ll try and help if I can, but I want to see other Average Americans wake up and realize that “The Man” has us were he wants us! In debt, hopeless, and most likey drinking!!!!!

This says it all
Profit triples at J.P. Morgan Chase
Results bolstered by banking, higher credit card income

Updated: 5:14 a.m. PT July 19, 2006
NEW YORK - J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., the No. 3 U.S. bank, Wednesday said second-quarter profit tripled, bolstered by investment banking and credit card income growth.

bratt

Pain in da butt
Mar 22, 2002
Good on ya Smiffy!
I was stuck in that endless loop for several years myself. I now have one credit card that I use that I pay off after every purchase. I use it for large purchases so I can get the frequent flyer miles then I hop on the computer and transfer funds over to pay it off. I can't tell you how much money it has freed up from not carrying a large cc balance. Never again will I allow debt to control my life.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Way to go b!

The greatest day of my life came when all I "had" to pay is my house payment. I am paying on a truck, but it technically is being paid by my company, so it is pre-tax dollars, which lets the govt help me pay it (in a way anyway :cool: ).

With your attitude you will make it. It sound like you have a real good grip on the reality you created.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
That’s great that you have seen the light. I haven’t paid CC interest in 25 years. I have 1 CC and while I do use it a lot, it gets paid off every month. The convenience of a CC is hard to beat but you have to realize the money has to come from somewhere.

The other thing that helps me is to have a solid budget. Every detail goes into it and if the expenses exceed the income then you can see it in black and white. It’s an excel spreadsheet and if anyone wants it just email me. I’ve sent to a few people on DRN before.

It amazes me how people today feel they can’t live without this and that when in reality who really needs to have 500 channels on TV, or a cell phone (what a racket these babies have turned into), or that big 4x4 to go to the corner store. I worked with a guy that was always crying the blues. He never had any money. He drank like a fish, smoked 2 packs a day, had everything the local cable people had to offered, bought his lunch out everyday, etc. What the hell?!?

I’m glad to hear that you have a plan to get back on your feet. Make it a plan to save as much as you can and you’ll have a plan to give you the independence you want. It’s too easy to spend that extra money so tuck it away, do payroll deposits, invest it, do anything so you don’t actually see or touch the money and it will be easier to save it.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
That's great Smiffy!!! :cool:

I myself have been sorting/rearranging my debt for the past couple of months - trying to free up some extra cash to put into savings and pay for my education.

I made the HUGE mistake of getting credit cards right when I turned 18, screwing my credit all up, and then having to pay it all off - probably triple what I actually owed thanks to credit collection agencies (and me not paying my bills...no one is at fault but me, and I do realize that!) :bang:

It took me a few years but I got my credit back on track and then made the even dumber mistake of getting credit cards again. I NEVER should have done that...but I was stuck in a job when I lived in Iowa that did not allow me to afford much of anything in life. I had a car payment, student loans, etc...

So a couple of months ago I got an offer in the mail for one of those consolidation credit cards - 0% until May 2007 and then 9.9% fixed after that (which is better than what I was paying on ALL of my other credit cards)...so I jumped on the offer, they approved me, and my cards have been consolidated, lowering my minimum monthly payment by about $45.

Then I decided that there were still matters that had to be taken care of - like the fact that I owed more on my car than it was worth, and then there's that one private student loan with a variable interest rate that just keeps on climbing. So I took out a personal loan. I paid off my car and put the remainder of the loan onto that terrifying student loan. I also have another student loan, but that's at a fixed rate of 3.5% for the life of the loan - I'm not touching that, I'll just keep on paying it!

Now with all of these consolidations I am saving $80 a week!!! I am putting that money into my savings account and I am paying for school cash this time. All of these student loans - and I don't even have a degree. I have a Secretarial Certification only...and I want a degree so I can become a CPA and hopefully, eventually own my own business.

My goal with all of these consolidations and rearranging of my credit is to pay everything off faster - which, with the money I am saving per week it'll only take me a couple of months to pay for one semester at school, then I can move that money on to high interest accounts and round and round and round we go!

Rooster and I are also moving into a different apartment with a $250/month rent savings and it's smaller so probably a savings on all of our utilities also.

There are so many other little things that we do, too, that help. We shop at the wholesale club for things like meats, paper goods, etc..it's definitely less expensive that way. We have a family plan for cell phones, but we have no house phone. We have cable, but just the regular channels, no digital cable, no HBO, no showtime, etc...and we both bring our lunches almost every day.

One other thing we do that helps a TON is saving change. We have a jar for quarters, a jar for nickels and dimes, and a big jar for pennies. When the quarters, nickels, and dimes fill up we roll them. all that paid for our last trip to Paragon - including fuel in the truck to get down there. The only out of pocket expenses that weekend were the sticker Roo bought for his truck and the long sleeve tee shirt I bought for myself.

Smiffy - I completely understand not wanting to live paycheck to paycheck and wanting toys, etc...and I hope it all works out for you and us and everyone else out there that is in this sort of bind.

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Thanks Guys! I hope I don't come across as beeing a Rich boy with some of those numbers, thats my worry about putting it into the General forum.
Yet the Farm is a business which has high Income, but after tall the expenses and Farm payment just breaks even, then my job makes the house payments and car payments, and the wifes job pays the CC, Insurance, food, and Gas.
I also do side jobs with my Tractor at $60 bucks an hour, that money is budgeted for Dirtbikes only. Just did 4 hours of field mowing and had the KTM serviced and valves adjusted ;) $240 in, $210 out

My excitement mainly comes from being able to tell many people I told you so :ohmy: I shouldn't be little, but I had so many people tell me not to buy the farm, I'd be bankrupt in a year. Well most of those are the people RM guy and I described.

I actually meet the Banker this morning, gonna find out about that refianance and see what I'll be able to do :yeehaw:

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I'm with ya smiffy!!! I learned the had way too. Credit never more. The only thing I'll finance now is a home. I don't have any credit cards (save one shell card which is only used for a yearly road trip) which sometimes makes things like car rentals and stuff like that a pain... but I'll gladly live with that pain versus the hell of heavy CC debt.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
The only CC I use is my corporate card for business. I do use my debit card as a credit card to avoid some charges, but that's paid off immediately.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
One thing that helped us was to get direct deposit and have it put into 2 different accounts. Even $20 a check adds up. As you get raises or your debt lowers add that money to the direct deposit savings account. If doesnt seem to hurt as much if you dont have to move it yourself.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Keep at it B and don't despare when you hit a bump in the road.

THe CC companies know when to get their hooks in you - right out of school!

I guess i'm one of the lucky ones - i have never carried credit card debt - ever.

Right out of college (1988) my dad taught me what it means to control your money and i guess i listened to one thing he had to say. I use credit cards as my primary means of purchasing but pay them off in full every month. This actually really helps me with my Kroger CC which pays me down the road for groceries.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
We charge almost all our purchaces. Then pay off in full each month. If the CC doesnt get paid off, nothing but food and gas gets purchaced. I watch friends buy more than they can afford, then complain about the debt they are in, some even going bankrupt. One particular family actually made 80K a year and filed for bankrupcy, talk about stupid. Its all about dicipline. I comend those of you trying to get above water. The big thing is understanding the differance between need and want. You can get conservative (cheap) on a lot of stuff if you really want to. You have to learn to say NO.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
CONGRATS SMIFFY! I did something similar not too long ago. I managed to get an unsecured loan from my credit union that covered paying off my two credit cards. Now I make the same payment every month for three years and then no more. :) Feels great doesn't it? As for my red 4x4 monster... gulp... 4 years to go. Oh well, he's so purty he's worth it.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Man, I have proof the Credit cards are evil. I use an Amex for business. This month the recent activity the other day was 666.88. I also paid off my personal one this month as well. The balance was 666.57. No kidding! It feels great to have it gone. I don't like the interst rate on it and was not happy with the date the payments were due. It was causing timing issues. I will be tossing it in the camp fire after a ride and drinking a beer in celebration. I will also be sending a letter of cancelation to the company.

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Well, finally sold my pickup, took a lot longer than I thought!
So will transfer the funds to Chase and be done with them! operation F**@ chase was a success!
My next work bonus I will pay off the wifes Nordstroms card and I wll be credit card free. Pickupless aswell yet I think it will be more then worth it!

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Congrats!!

I have been toying with 0 % cards for the past two-three years. Managed to get the entire equity line and a motorcycle financed at 0%. I am regretting the motorcycle, but saved enough in home equity interest that it was almost free.

That's my way of saying F**@ the credit card companies...I hope I don't F**@ it up.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Congrats! I'm trying to follow a similar plan, sure hope my diesel rig sells faster than yours though.

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Thanks Guys!

Pat, I consigned mine with a local dealer who only charged $500 and did the detailing and advertising, however I held firm on the asking price. I got offers quick since I had one of the few 5 speeds listed yet some of the trade ins offered wouldn't pencil out. Also the 3.65 Diesel kind of put a bind on things. We ended up getting what I wanted, yet had to wait on a person to refinance his home and take equity out to pay for it. So about 2 months from the verbal OK to getting the check!

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Patman said:
sure hope my diesel rig sells faster than yours though.

You selling it? What about unloading the other 8 cars sitting on the Casa Del Poel car lot first? :)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i mailed checks yesterday to pay mine off. i am credit card debt free now.

...at least until my truck blows up or something.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Bsmith

I was under the F*** Chase plan as that is who I paid off! Congrats on gettin it done.

Congrats Jay.

I hope to be there soon enough.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sold my truck yesterday, I'm going to hold out on paying off the Chase card until the last month of the 0% then BLAMO! I also picked up an American Express so that you have to pay it off each month, gota' say I really like having that card. No need to carry lots of cash but it goes away each month, plus build up some travel miles or other perk you choose.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
What are you driving now, Pat?

Top Bottom