djtrozzo15

Feb 22, 2010
i am not sure if this is on here and I cant find it on google anywhere... probably a dumb questions also.
when I rebuilt my top end on a 2013 yz250, as anyone knows... its a pain in the d#$k trying to compress the rings and put the cylinder on by yourself.
I don't know why, but I got this weird feeling now that when I did it this time, the rings moved off the pins. while trying to put the cylinder on.

would the cylinder fit over the piston and rings if they weren't in the right position? like at the pins
also, if they aren't, would I know right away? broke in the top end... and rode it for 5 hours (moving time) and it runs fine.
what could or would happen if the rings aren't lined up with the pins?

thanks

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
In most cases if the ring jumped over the guide pin you would NOT be able to get the cylinder over the piston. If you somehow managed it chances are very good it would snag the ring and break it during initial running. Here's an inexpensive tool that can prove helpful in your future rebuilds.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lil-21700

LIL-21700_xl.jpg

djtrozzo15

Feb 22, 2010
since i rode it for like 5 hours, you think its fine?
i figured i wouldnt be able to get the cylinder over the piston rings. just wanted to make sure.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If it didn't snag a ring in 5 hours I think you are good to go.

Top Bottom