Please get me off of this bicycle ...

mikewofsey

Mar 29, 2004
It took me a year of living down here in Alabama to realize that it would be stupid to buy another road bike. The entire state is rideable, man. But I need to dual-sport, trailers are not for me.

Signed the zero-down, 7% loan papers for an XR650L, but haven't taken the bike yet. I have ... reservations.

Namely, that 650L is heavy like Rhino.

I don't need electric start. I don't need weight. I want to be able to toss my dual-sport around like a lover, not ride on her back like an elephant-pilot. I'm only 5'9", the XR650s seem to be designed for a race of super-stong giant dirt-riders. If I bought that bike I don't think I would ever be able to get very dirty with it.

So now that I've read just about every post here, I feel like I know you all like my own brothers and sisters, and I love all of you with every fibre of my heart and I hate all of you for riding dual-sports while I load change dirty diapers and wrap them in plastic to keep them from smelling up the house.

So please, can someone suggest a nice, tight light little dualsport, (old is okay), with the irrational power of a two-stroke? An old "street and trail" is okay, but I can't convert a dirt with Baja add-ons, because 'Bama DMV says no to converted dirts, they have to come from the manufacturer as D/S. No Bultacos because I don't carry a six-pack of cylinders anymore. No KTMs because I forgot how to rob banks to buy parts. No Huskies just because.

Any ideas?

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
you seem to have a problem,maybe not.i ride tight tec.stuff and ride with 2 guys on the 650 both your size they both love thier rides and have a pocketbook to ride what ever they like.some things can be done to lighten the bike and some mods need to be done to pick up the power they are cheap.i have seen next years 650 it has the aluminum frame and electric start how much it weighs i dont know.dirt rider had it out in the desert and is suppose to do an article on it real soon or that is what i was told.your other choice is to look in your area and see what pops up. i have a couple of d/s 2 strokes what would happen if i moved to bama, it is worth a thought.

mikewofsey

Mar 29, 2004
Sunnyboy, do I understand you correctly that the 2005 XR650L has the aluminum frame, liquid cooled engine, suspension and all the good stuff of the R, but with the minor blight of electric start? If so, I'll wait for 05, no point in buying an L now.

Can you tell me the makes/models of the 2-stroke dual sports that you know? I'll look for one down here.

This whole thing bugs me, because in my home state of Colorado (a Common Law state) you can ride any dirt you want as long as it has blinkers, a light and a horn.

There really is no good reason why I shouldn't be allowed to register a dirt bike here and make it street-legal. Even the worst polluting, noisiest two-stroke is a minor nuisance compared to the ozone-spewing monster trucks and suvs that populate the supermarket parking lot down here.

When I was in NYC, stupid Mayor Giuliani was making all sorts of new laws to alienate bicycle riders from general society. Over here, they tell me what kind of dirt bike I'm allowed to ride. I think two-wheeled transportation represents some kind of threat to the gol-durned gubbermint!

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
dirt rider should have a story on it soon,i would ask your dealer when they expect to get thier first shipment.would be cool to get the first one.the other thing to try is to contact BAJA DESIGNS and ask them what you can do to register a dirtbike in your state they keep up on that sort of thing .but do me a favor and get off that bike.

benk

Mar 31, 2004
mikewofsey said:
So please, can someone suggest a nice, tight light little dualsport, (old is okay), with the irrational power of a two-stroke? An old "street and trail" is okay, but I can't convert a dirt with Baja add-ons, because 'Bama DMV says no to converted dirts, they have to come from the manufacturer as D/S. No Bultacos because I don't carry a six-pack of cylinders anymore. No KTMs because I forgot how to rob banks to buy parts. No Huskies just because.

i was going to suggest a 2001/02 KTM until i read further down your post. :clue: but...it doesn't have the power of a stroker but an XR 600 is still a very good all purpose dual sport trail bike. they can be had for a steal because of their relativly low tech stigma. they can be made to handle fairly well and have enough poke to get you smiling.

mikewofsey

Mar 29, 2004
I got a bike!

Hi All,

I got my dual-sport. I was approved for a 42-month Honda Financing loan at 6%, I was going to get a CRF250X and put the Baja kit on it. But I had to leave the dealership to take the kids to the bookstore.

While I was there, my older daughter got her finger caught in the door, which made her cry, which scared the younger one, and then they were both crying, with some passerbys looking at me like the worst daddy in the world, and my wife on the other side of the store buying a book.

All of a sudden, the stress of the situation made me see the light ... I don't need more debt. I don't need financing. I need a bike! I need something fairly light, and powerful, and stylish, and affordable, and well-handling, and reliable.

So I got a 1975 Yamaha DT-175! 2-Stroker, street legal, beautiful, excellent suspension. Perhaps not comparable to current MX bikes, but easily more trailable than some of the monster bikes out now.

The only problem I'm going to have now, is that the bike is so pretty that I'm not going to want to thrash it through the woods! I really need another DT, a really ugly one.

cheff

Apr 22, 2004
Well I got the XR650l and this is the most fun bike I have ever owned yet. And I have only had it about 3 months. On the street it is quick, light and precise. On the dirt its a little heavy and intimidating at first, but I was still able to keep up to my buddies on crf450s in the tight stuff. Once the land opens up, nothing can keep up to this bike, its a Baja racer at heart.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I was gonna recomend a CRF250X with a Bajadesigns kit on it. Light and fast. Just what you need. I'd check with BD they know what can and cant be done in each state to get your bike legal. Your DMV might be giving you the run around.

Birken Vogt

Apr 5, 2002
I was also going to suggest an XR600. Just got back from a desert ride, my CR broke so I had to fire up the XR (missing parts and leaks like a sieve but better than nothing) and I was riding it again, it is by no means as easy in the tight stuff as the CR but it has its own ways. Top speed of course is much better. Chug a lug motor is much less likely to flame out in the trials section (lower 1st gear). Seat is much nicer on the ole behind. You already got a bike but if a good 600 comes along don't pass it up. I needed a spare. Anybody can use a spare ;) It came in real handy last weekend.

Birken

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Old Yamaha DTs if you can find them with a title, and in decent streetable shape, Old Suzuk TS bikes, like the 185. If you can find a Cannondale you might have some more luck, the title dose NOT say for off road use only. Same with the KTMs. KTM Duke, LC4, you can buy used and parts are not THAT bad plus they are well equiped stock. I was at the stealership last week looking at that LC8 Venture 950cc I think, it was kinda cool, I had visions of strapping on the hard cases available with it and treking through the desert on a month long Baja camping adventure, doing power slides and wheelies through the canyons,,,,, naked,,,,,,,,, cause I had to sell everyting I had to cover the 11,000 + bucks to buy it, but I was free! I quickly left the show room floor with the uncomfortable thought of sunburn and monkey butt in very bad places :eek: .
The KLR 250 is a Sherman tank, the 650 is an M1-A1, but the M1-A1 is faster in the sand with better suspension than the KLR. :ride:

theturbojosh

Apr 13, 2004
thats funny dual purpose bikes these day do seem to be specificley designed for bodybuilding/ nba star hybrids the old xl350s are the closest to perfection I have found

Top Bottom