Feb 3, 2009
I just bought my son a 2004 yz85, the bike runs great until the upper rpm band. It hits the pipe good, pulls great to a certain rpm and lays down, in all gears. If he keeps it on a tight track, or off the straightaways it's okay. I have changed fuel, cleaned carb, changed fuel lines etc.... it doesn't smoke any more or less than comparable bikes. I am running 32:1 with Redline and Premium unleaded. Air filter good, fuel flow into carb good. I have mechanical ability, but this one is kicking me in the backside.
Please Help!!!!

Feb 3, 2009
I don't know, just bought the bike. It seemed to run fine when we bought it (test rode it). I got it home and it started laying down at higher rpm under a load.

Thanks for the interest.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You should at least check the compression. It can be extremely frustrating to try to tune a worn engine.

JD-250

Sep 6, 2003
Once the bike is warmed up, find a straightaway and wind it out in 3rd or 4th and while your at max rev's for a second or two, push the kill switch and pull in the clutch. Check the plug and that might give you a better idea on what's going on.

Feb 3, 2009
Cool- Thanks for all the help guys. I will try all that this weekend and and follow up with ya'll.
I got 4 smokers now, I better learn em inside and out.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I had to chase a similar problem on an old KX125. The previous owner swapped out jets with no rhyme or reason. I cleaned out the carb, and re-jetted to original, which was still a bit rich, but then it was easy to fine tune. It was struggling pretty bad on the main circuit before I did this.

Feb 3, 2009
Okay, I tried everything mentioned. Repacked silencer, replaced bent pipe with perfect factory pipe, one jet up/down, new plug(s), new air filter, drained/cleaned tank, cleaned carb, installed new choke assy, tried 32-1 and 40-1. It is like bike has a rev limiter, it gets to a certain rpm and cuts out, with or without load. It seems to be electrical, will the cdi box cause this, it pulls strong until a certain rpm. I haven't ran a compression check yet...

Feb 3, 2009
04 YZ85 w/rev limiter???

Okay, I tried everything mentioned. Repacked silencer, replaced bent pipe with perfect factory pipe, one jet up/down, new plug(s), new air filter, drained/cleaned tank, cleaned carb, installed new choke assy, tried 32-1 and 40-1. It is like bike has a rev limiter, it gets to a certain rpm and cuts out, with or without load. It seems to be electrical, will the cdi box cause this, it pulls strong until a certain rpm. I haven't ran a compression check yet...

Please help. :bang:

Last edited:

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
compression check it and refer to your other thread

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Change the reeds. Even if they look ok, they might be week and not sealing off well.

Top Bottom