01RM250K3

Jun 2, 2007
hi i was just wondering if polishing my intake and exhaust ports on my 01' RM250 would do anything performance wise. I would like to do this myself because the intake and exhaust ports are very porous and rough and i would like to smooth it out. i was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to do this like what type of grit to use for sandpaper and if anyone has pictures on before and after polishing that would be great.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
01RM250K3 said:
hi i was just wondering if polishing my intake and exhaust ports on my 01' RM250 would do anything performance wise.

It's been said a million times out here. Polishing of ports is just eye candy with ZERO performance value. Don't waste your time on that nonsense.

wileyE

Jul 6, 2003
Have to agree with Rich, nothing really to be gained especially on the intake side. I'll usually do the exhaust main and sub ports and dome just to help keep carbon from attaching. If the intake side and transfers get a lot of rework and if it's for a customer I like to clean and blend the rough work out. My own stuff might get left raw. When someones paying good money they expect a decent finish look, or if you know pics of your stuff might end up online you tend to make it a little prettier than need be. I've never seen polishing hurt anything so I wouldn't be afraid of it.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Complete waste of time and good bye throttle response. I would think a guy teaching proper techniques would make a lot of money, more seemingly it is like beating a dead horse. Rich, is Ryan Callies a student of Professor Blair's?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Rich, is Ryan Callies a student of Professor Blair's?

Ryan is just a sharp kid from Wisconsin. I'm not sure if he ever got around to going to college.

Besides being a good mechanic he's rumored to be a pretty fair rider as well. ;)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
What class, how old is he? The name seems familiar. Byron used to be quite the magnet for racers all over. It seemed they all but closed up now. I did not mean Ryan and college, I was referring to picking up the good professors software and simulate what they are intending to do to the engine before the scrap barrel gets heavy.

rennat_2006

Dec 23, 2007
You dont want to polish anything that your fuel/air mixture comes into contact with. You want it rough so the fuel stay suspended. Smoothing out the intake tract isnt a bad idea but i wouldnt count on it making a huge difference. Polishing the head and exhaust side is a good idea because then carbon has a tougher chance to stick.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
I did not mean Ryan and college, I was referring to picking up the good professors software and simulate what they are intending to do to the engine before the scrap barrel gets heavy.

I'm not sure. Next time I talk to him I'll ask. :cool:

Top Bottom