tsnobaddays

Feb 11, 2008
I was wondering what the best way to polish a aluminum frame ,and does it have any effect on anything as far as strength? I don't think that it does just wanted to make sure.

Thanx

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
It doesn't affect the strength as long as you don't grind away material. Try using progressively finer scotch brite then switch to an aluminum polishing paste with a soft rag. It's a fairly easy job but you will need to buff the area's after each ride.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
It's a pain in the a$$ to maintain, but looks pretty good once done.

Attachments

• _MG_2856a (Small).jpg
    _MG_2856a (Small).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 943

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
BigRedAF said:
Hey Indy is that your steed? Looks nice!

Also, is that your mug with the cookie duster under the yellow hat?

Yes & Yes

That's my 2000 CR125 right before Redbud last summer.

Hopefully the 450 will look that good this year!

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Cool, I'll be in Indy Tuesday night late, flying out Wednesday afternoon. Staying down town near PF Chang's.

If your close by we should do lunch so we can put a face to the comments since we seem to end up on the same page all the time.

Have to go, I'll check back later.

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Here's my 98', I did a half a** job though...
Picture225.jpg

Picture224.jpg

I used turtle wax multi purpose polish and waxed it to hopefully preserve the shine.
;)

Last edited:

tsnobaddays

Feb 11, 2008
BigRedAF said:
It doesn't affect the strength as long as you don't grind away material. Try using progressively finer scotch brite then switch to an aluminum polishing paste with a soft rag. It's a fairly easy job but you will need to buff the area's after each ride.

What type of Scotch Brite would I use ,and when do I know to go finer?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Once you get the aluminum all polished up you might want to try using something like "Sharkhide" to keep it from dulling so fast. Areas that get chaffing action would need to be touched up occasionally but the protected areas should stay nice and shiny if it has an appropriate coating on it.

Rod

tbirder

Feb 28, 2008
Sharkhide

tsnobaddays said:
What is Sharkhide?

Hi all,
My name's Clint, and I own the company that produces Sharkhide Metal Protectant. My brother surf's this forum all the time, and told me about this thread. First of all, I'm not here to try to sell you anything, but to try to answer any questions you all might have about Sharkhide Metal Protectant.
Just briefly, I've been supplying Sharkhide to the motorcycle industry for years (mostly Harleys, and Sport Bikes), as well as the marine, trucking, and automotive industry. Sharkhide is a wipe on metal protectant for any metal. It protects your finish aginst staining, corrosion, oxidation and rust. You swipe a single coat on, it dries in about 60 to 90 seconds, and a single coat can last several years.
I'll lurk out here in the back ground for a while to see if I can answer any questions.
Hope I can be of some help,
Clint

Matt Fisher

Apr 17, 2002
If you apply Sharkhide, does it change the appearance at all? I would imagine it would change the feel from metal to plastic, correct? What's the temp limit; could it be used on a polished 2-stroke pipe?

tbirder

Feb 28, 2008
Sharkhide

Matt Fisher said:
If you apply Sharkhide, does it change the appearance at all? I would imagine it would change the feel from metal to plastic, correct? What's the temp limit; could it be used on a polished 2-stroke pipe?

Hey there Matt,
No Matt, It won't change the appearance at all. On Raw, Mill Finish, or Anodized aluminum it's invisible. The only way you can tell it's there is it looks like it's wet. On mirror finish aluminum, if the light, angle, and distance (6"-12")is just right, you can sometimes see a slight rainbow sheen. Kind of like on a soap bubble.
Sharkhide can withstand fairly high temps, but I've never tried it on an exhaust system. You could try it, and if it works, great. But if it doesn't last and starts looking bad, you simply swipe it off with lacquer thinner.
Hope this helps,
Clint

SIXSIXZERO

Mar 10, 2008
i polish stuff everyday (sidejob).
i use 800 then 1000 grit sand paper, then white jewlers rouge on a high speed wheel i have attached to an angle grinder.
it has always worked for me and comes out to a MIRROR finish everytime. i would however like to know more about this product that is being discussed because im tired of re-polishing my entire bike EVERY time i ride!!!

Top Bottom