"Port" report...much more than I expected....

WFO

Dec 27, 1999
First a quick note about Eric Gore, for those of you who haven't dealt with him before.
I sent Eric a head several years ago that I thought was warped because it was leaking. He said it was fine, told me what the real problem was, didn't charge me anything, and shipped me back the head at his cost.

Nice Guy!

So I sent him this cylinder for the low to mid port job. I waited a week, then called just to make sure he got it. He said yeah, but I might have to wait awhile because my piston wasn't available.

"Why am I getting a piston with a port job?"
"Is that all you wanted?"
"That's all my wife gave me money for!"
"Oops! We put it in the bin for an overbore and plating. Guess you're gonna get a 265cc for the price of a port job! Sorry!"

So my wife wonders why I'm walking around the house grinning like an idiot! :)
Two weeks later I call again to see if the piston came in. As soon as I tell him my name, Eric starts laughing.

"Well, we were just putting it in the box when we dropped it and broke the power valve. The new one should be here Friday. Sorry!"

More grinning like an idiot!

So basically I got over $500 worth of parts and service for the cost of a port job from an honest guy who could have told me the cylinder was ruined when he got it. Yeah, I made out like a bandit, but after the crap I get around Houston from the local shops that want a credit card number just to give you a carb spec., it's refreshing to deal with someone who manages to combine quality with ethics.

Thank you Eric Gore. :thumb:

Now for the ride report. It ran like absolute crap!
Oops, forgot to put the pilot jet in! Much better....you'd be suprised how much difference a pilot jet can make. Maybe I grin like an idiot 'cause I are one!
It's a '97 YZ 250 (oops, 265) with Boyensen reeds and a Pro Circuit pipe and silencer. It came with a 168 main (stock is 170), 48 pilot (actually installed this time), 3rd clip on the needle. The old piston was covered in carbon and spooge, so I went to the second clip on the needle and leaned the air screw out another eighth.
It used to have this big punch in the middle; now the power comes on much, much earlier, but lasts just as long through the midrange. There is a surge right in the middle that could be a little unsettling if I were to use it as a woods bike. I know my jetting is still off, so hopefully I can smooth this out (helpful hints welcome!) And while I understand jetting basics, I get a little vague when it comes to things like needle taper. Anyway, I woke up to rain this morning so that will have to wait.

As will the vapid little CR's I intend to blow away with this!

Last edited:

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
I'm really looking foward to my next top end, I'm going to send my cylinder in to Eric for porting. After reading your review I feel pretty good about trusting my stuff to Eric.

Lee W.
L85

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i didnt know that the politition Al Gore's brother eric did MX tuning!
kind of ironic, since i had excellent service with a bloke called Eric Gorr!:)

WFO

Dec 27, 1999
Did you really think a guy that leaves his pilot on the bench could spell? Silly me....Al Gore's brother's name is DEREK!
I told you I'm an idiot, why doesn't anybody ever believe me?
Sorry Eric, my intentions were good!

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
WFO, thanks for the comments. The way we handled your cylinder job was a bit embarrassing. My check in guy Eric Ellcey stripped down the parts and coded it for a 2mm kit so it just got swept up in the system. When Ryan was assembling it he used a wrench on the right side where the powervalve linkage attaches. Although that would seem logical its actually a flimsy little piece. Normally we insert a piece of wooden doll rod into the exhaust port and rotate the valve until it pinches the rod against the exhaust port roof in order to tighten the 4mm Allem bolt that fastens the valve together.
The funny part was before he assembled it I reminded my guys that this cylinder was originally just supposed to be ported so be extra carefull. We have a superstition in my shop that some cylinders become so comfortable there that they do their damdest not to leave because they don't want to go back to work propelling motorcycles and people over jumps.
When the new valve finally came in I took care of it myself, packed it up and took it to UPS and put it on the correct conveyor belt myself. The next day we had a little going away party for your cylinder that included Egg McMuffins and large black coffees.
Glad you liked it, thanks for your sense of humor during your cylinder's porting vacation!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Originally posted by EricGorr
... during your cylinder's porting vacation!

As soon as I get a new bike I guess my cylinder is going on a vacation! He he he... ;)

400sxman

Jul 11, 2001
eric, can you wreck my engine too, i could use a new piston and plating ;) lol, got a real kick out of this one, i can sympathize with how sometimes everything goes wrong. later
~Nat

Top Bottom