pro circuit factory conn.mx tech race tech

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by cr lover, Aug 7, 2001.

1. cr lover

cr lover Rookie DRN Member

i have a 96cr250 im 6'6" 220lbs..46kg fork springs 6.0 shock spring. i ride some mx but mostly ride for fun,gravel pits, trails. this winter i planed on buying race tech gold valves for my forks and shock. but after reading the post on race tech i am having second thoughts. does race tech suspension stink? im i better off sending my forks off to pc, factory connection,mx tech. ideas or thoughts from anyone is welcome.and if jeremy isnt busy,ya right. i would like his thoughts. thanx.

2. DanS

DanS Sponsoring Member

I've delt with Race Tech and they are'nt bad but they are big and you don't get very personelized service. The last work I had done was with MX-Tech's California associate So Cal Suspension. Very personalized service and excellent work. I plan on being a repeat customer. I haven't delt with any of the others you mentioned.
  3. KawieKX125

KawieKX125 Subscriber

I have ridden Factory Connection bikes and they are decent. Firm, but controlled. Race tech does not stink. I have heard good things about them, but the general consensus seems to be that their super high flow gold valve is not a great thing. I have never seen much of a good review about PC. From what I have heard and read, their suspension is harsh and stiff for most all people out there. I have read that it takes them a couple of tries to get stuff right. I have never ridden or used MX-tech suspension, but heard nothing but priase about them. In the phone conversation I had with John(east coast associate), I was amazed at their level of customer service and how nice he was to me. I would go with MX-tech, or if that is out of the question for some reason, Factory Connection.
  4. awilson40

awilson40 Rookie DRN Member

MX-Tech

They are great to deal with and they have several regional affiliate shops so you get the smaller shop personal touch. Chad Newton of Total Control Suspension is in Durham,NC and he did a total repair/ rebuild the same day he got it. I cant say enough good about him or MX-Tech.
  5. dirt bike dave

dirt bike dave Sponsoring Member

Factory Connection has a lot of experience re-valving CR's for the woods & trail, as they have been working with Kevin Hines CRE/E-line for a long time. My bike was previously owned by an FC sponsored AA enduro racer. The original owner is much faster than me, but the suspension is still super plush in the rocks/roots at my pace and excellent at higher speed stuff as well.

Here is a link to a Cycle News test of a '96 CRE with FC suspension.

http://www.essjayar.co.uk/motorbikes/96EnduroCompare.txt
  6. HONDA65

HONDA65 Subscriber

A lot of people here seem to pick on Race Tech, and they aren't perfect, as is no-one, but they too have many affiliates that can give personalized attention, who spend many hours testing to perfect their product. Plus Race Tech will revalve your stuff as many times as necessary within 90 days, free of charge. AND if at the end, your still not happy, they will refund your money! I would assume that their affiliates will do likewise. I know my local ones does. Hard to go wrong with that!!
  7. Pete Payne

Pete Payne Member DRN Member

The best advice I can give is this. Try and have a local suspension shop do the work. They should know the tracks that you ride and will know how to tune for them. Some times the smaller , local suspension shops,even if they are an affiliat of a larger shop are better at giving a more personal touch. They want to get it right for you, good or bad news travels fast.
    If you choose to use the race tech stuff , use the type2 fork valves and the type 1 shock valve, this set up works great. Or you can get the stuff from race tech and do the work yourself. The more you know about your suspension the better off you will be at being able to tune it for yourself.
  8. cr lover

my question is. why use type 2 for the forks and type one for the shock. i know the difference between type 1and 2.
  9. Pete Payne

You could say it is personal preference. I felt that with the type 1 in the forks they were too soft for my liking on larger hits. If I went up on the valving and oil level and they got better but not as good a feel as with the type 2 and the standard stiffness valving.

As far as the shock I experenced the exact opposite. the type 2 was too much and the type 1 was perfect.

I operate a Race Tech center and have been able to test all the combinations out. It all falls down to what the rider wants.
  10. shredda

shredda Rookie DRN Member

I know this isn't one of the companies you've listed, but I have TOO-TECH suspension on my 96' CR250 and my bike handles better than any bike i've ridden. Super plush, and stable in all conditions.
  11. cr lover

shredda

how much did it cost?front and rear.
  12. shredda

The forks where $220 and the shock was $110. I also had different cones installed for $140. It's done by a guy named Rick Johnson. You can go to the web-site at www.tootechracing.com and the phone number is (310) 371-3887
  13. KawieKX125

KawieKX125 Subscriber

Rick quoted me a much lower price for my stuff. He wanted 290 for both ends and that included bottoming bumpers and cones for the forks. He assured me that that was a complete price. Call him for confirmation though.
  14. shredda

It looks like his prices have gone down after checking his web-site. My suspension was done back in 96', But kawieKX125's prices look correct.
  15. mikee88o

mikee88o Rookie DRN Member

MX-TECH will refund your money if you dont like it too---plus the "do it till its right" policy but theese never seem to get brought up hmmmmmmmmmm
  16. 00kawa125

00kawa125 Rookie DRN Member

Why does no one mention Pro-Action. I went to Lorretta's and it seemed they were the dominant suspension company from what I saw. :silly:

Also, Whats up ? Pro-Action will revalve and do nothing to the mid-valve while MX Tech will revalve the mid-valve, and still Race Tech will disable the Mid-Valve. How am I supposed know which will be the best. They all seem to be reputable companies but they cannot all be right?
  17. Pete Payne

Thats because there is more than one way to get to the same end result. The best thing to do is find an honest company that will listen to your needs and deliver what you want.
  18. shaggy829

shaggy829 Subscriber

00kawa125
    not all companies understand the midvalve and its function.therefore they
    disable it or ignore it.
    .Also midvalve tuning takes more time and r&d to better it's performance. this can drop productivity and profits so the cheapist way is
    often the road taken.:)
  19. John Curea

John Curea Lifetime Sponsor

Well said Shaggy........:cool:
  20. cr lover

00kawa125. when i wrote this i wanted to include all the suspension co. so i just picked a few. didnt mean to exclude anyone.

I would like to thank everyone for your help. its going to be a hard choice. and i will be looking for more replies.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2001