dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
every year my mates r putting pc pipes and silencer on their bikes.i swear my std 03 yz 250 2st runs better than his. i reckon he thinks his bike is faster because its louder. i say its lost all its torque and runs flat real quick.the stop watch tells me im faster with the std pipe and silencer. am i missing something here or r they just getting ripped?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I believe that after someone pays for something it must make the bike/car/etc better. Otherwise a person looks dumb for throwing the money away. Seldom do you hear of anyone adding something to a bike say it was not worth the money. I added a pro circuit pipe to my bike after smashing the stock pipe. I had to do something. It may have changed it a little (for me), but I would hate to say 10%. More than likley, much less.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Pipes on modern bikes are so good from the factory, that normally all adding an aftermarket one does is move the power around some. Personal preferances, but I know that the FMF on my 2000 CR250 is not as good (for me) as the stock pipe. I also tried a PC pipe on same bike, but it was worse than the FMF (very peaky).

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
I just bought a Zipty racing pipe for my 03 YZ250. In talking to Ty's mechanic. He said that they too didn't like any of the offerings of the mainsteam pipe makers, so they went to Flow (former pipe maker for Noleen) and had them make a pipe. He said that if they couldn't make it better than the stocker that they wouldn't make one at all. It tucks in better and he claims that it has more power all the way through with more overrev. Unfortunately, I won't be able to ride with the pipe for about a month so I don't know if it's any better or not.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
I talked to a local pro in our area after he swept all six of his motos just to shot the breeze when I saw his motor looked pretty plain jane. When asked about it he said it was box stock. He thought it was a waste of money and only forked out the bucks for suspension mods.....makes you think................

SCHLAVA

Jan 12, 2001
I agree. My fmf system didn't add more power to my 250f. It just moved it all down low where i like it. I think spending money on suspension will yeild more benefit for the money spent.

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Interesting. Friend of mine went pro-circuit from new on a 2000 yz125. My 2000 yz125 was standard. We swapped bikes. His bike felt weak, noisy and revvy ! Up until the bike swap he though the after market pipe would have at least made a positive difference.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Although some pipes make a bigger difference than others depending on the pipe builder and individual bike, in my experience, I have had mostly all positive experiences with aftermarket pipes.

On my RM, The PC setup made a huge difference in the low-mid and mid range. The stocker ran pretty flat in the low-mid(yes, I did get the jetting very close) and did not pick up as smoothly or rev as hard though the midrange as the PC setup(inc. jetting) does.

Is it worth $200? I dunno. What do you use your bike for? Do you ride trails, enduro or race mx? Do you drag race your friends in an open field?

For me, the changes the PC pipe and silencer made to my bike, make it easier to ride and make me faster. I know pros that can jump on ANY bike and haul, but that's because they're just talented. Give a pro a bike and some money to play with, I gaurantee that they'll have an exhaust system on their bike...sponsored or not.

I do agree that suspension work makes a bigger difference and is a better value, but to say that spending money on a pipe is a waste, is not really accurate.

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
I recently purchased a 99 YZ125 with a ProCircuit pipe and stock silencer. The bike felt very flat on low end with a hard high end hit. I called ProCircuit and they gave me the jetting info. My bike had the same stock jetting, after setting the carb up to ProCircuit specs (changed everything but the main jet), it runs great. I'll never know what the stock performance was as a baseline though. Also purchased a silencer. The stock silencer on the bike had about 1" of packing towards the end.

My moral of the story is that bikes need to be maintained and set up properly for optimum performance. It is difficult to compare stock vs aftermarket on 2 different bikes because they are not likely to have been maintained similarly.

Top Bottom