TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Sorry to have to disagree with your dad, but in the short term it may not harm it, but in the long run, you will get better lubrication from an oil designed for your bike. Outboard oil is designed to fully combust at lower temperatures than your bike runs at, so that it doesn't load up in a much cooler running outboard. Your dad might be a marine mechanic, but he evidently doesn't understand oil as well as he could.

As to the kickstart shaft, I can't say it won't hurt it, as I don't know for sure what is causing it without actually pulling the cover off. If it was my bike, I would pull the cover and fix it, rather than taking the chance that something more serious is wrong, which could potentially cause more serious damage. It's your bike, but I would pop the cover and fix it right myself. It won't take long, and could save a more expensive repair.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
im not going to argue but i think my dad knows what he's doing..... anyhoo... i might give my dad my KDX this summer and get something like a KX100 or 125, OR if i can find a screaming deal on a 2 fiddy i might get that. i like my KDX but i've been struggling to keep it outta the shop and plus i want something a little lighter and maybe smaller. im going to wait to pull the cover off because my dad would have a fit if i just start pulling stuff apart...... hehe. from experience. thats what im thinking it is too. one of the guy's from my local bike shop was at our local gravel pit this weekend and i asked him and he said there is a ratchet like thing and he said its prolly just not catching it. im going to try and bump it and if i cant do that then i guess i'll ride the quad if the friggin tires dont fall off again.... well almost fall off.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
I'm not trying to argue, I am just telling you that they make different oils for outboards and dirtbikes for a reason, and that is because of the different operating temperatures and conditions the engines find themselves in. Each type of oil is designed to work best in a specific application. Using it outside of that application means it isn't ideal for the application. It may work, but the proper product would work better.

As to your issues with your KDX, that is the problem with old bikes. Most have more miles, more wear, and when they start to get older, maintenance gets neglected and they start to lose their reliability. You can either buy a new bike, ride it for a bit, and soon have a bike that needs work as well, or put some money into an old bike and keep it going. Since you're not thrilled to pieces with what you have, keep it maintained as best you can, but don't put too much into it either.

The kickstarter consists of a shaft with a gear on it, and a ratcheting spring that presses the gear in to engage it with the primary gear and thus crank the engine over. The shaft sticks out of the sidecover, and the kickstart lever attaches to that. Odds are, the spring has popped out, or broken, thus the ratcheting gear isn't being pressed into mesh and the shaft just spins. I'd tell your dad you want to fix it, and go start the preliminary work of draining the oil, popping the kickstart lever and clutch cable off and then get him out there to help you if he won't let you do it yourself. No sense pissing him off if he bought the bike, but you have to learn to do stuff yourself, and tearing off a sidecover isn't exactly a difficult job to tackle.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
oh i can do pretty much the whole job myself. but he's in mexico right now, and there's a few things i've "secretly" started tearing into. ya i had to replace the kickstart shaft once already just recently actually. had to get one from san diego cali. ok hmm thats interesting info timber pig....... thanx. oh and i bought the bike with my own money as like a "starter" bike, havent ridden a bike in just about 5 years, so this is my starter bike until i can afford to get a better one. which i will be able to do soon. going to the rigs and so i am getting the toys i was planning on getting (new quad, new sled, enclosed trailer, 95 Jeep YJ and then i might get another bike and dad can have the KDX if he wants it. ya i understand what your saying about the diff oils and temps and stuff. the only reason im using outboard oil is because i can get it CHEAP and lots of it. i like the KX125's and there's a kid who lives down the road from me who has one, and he was going to sell it last summer but didnt. i dont want his bike though, its been arse over tea kettle too many times. and beat to death.

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
glad2ride said:
Get a Clymer manual for it. There is a section in the back with a lot of modifications for racing and better performance. You might be able to track down some of those parts.

You may want to look into doing a front end swap to a more modern KDX or KX front end. With more modern suspension, you can better use the current power you already have, plus it will have a front disc brake to slow you down better.

Good luck with it!

Hey Glad2ride!

I looked for a Clymer when I first bought my 175 --- couldn't find one! I found the Kawasaki manual online, but coudn't find a Clymer for it there either. I like Clymer manuals, and have them for all my other bikes (which gets repetitive about a lot of things). Are you sure there is one for the kdx175?

firecat6

Jun 25, 2005
got a nother question for you guys.. i got the 81 kdx175 that was leaking fuel out the over flow so i put a new needle and seat in the carb and that stopped the leaking.... but it still wont fire..... it is getting spark.... it is getting gas... i put the compression tester on it and it said it has 135 psi of compression after 8 kicks.... would the reads be causeing this to not run if they are bad or going bad? any help would be greately appreciated

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
my 175 likes to flood real easy, but i think its because the float bowl is out of adjustment.

firecat6 try added a tad bit of fuel(can shut off fuel, take line off, take spark plug out and put fuel line over plug hole, turn fuel on a little bit a little dribble is all you need, shut off fuel and reconnect fuel line, put plug back in) and kick it over until it starts. the extra fuel will help it start a little better.

actarus

May 31, 2005
*Update*

I finally managed to get a hold of a used but resleved cylinder for my bike for 91$ on that site! So I guess that the season will get going soon enough !

actarus

May 31, 2005
Hey there !

A question with those with old bikes. Where could I find parts for an engine rebuild ? Connecting rod kits and the sprockets. I'm in the process of rebuilding mine and i have a hell of a time finding these parts for my bike. The original parts are sometime pretty costy if not discontinued :( :pissed:

firecat6

Jun 25, 2005
yea... i posted a thread already on this.... but no one has answered so i thought maybe i could get a answer in here...... but i was just wondering if anyone knew where i could get a flywheel/magneto for a 81 kdx175.... i pulled off mine the other day and there was abuot a 1 inch section the magnet broke inside

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
firecat6 and actarus- go to bikebandit.com and order your parts from them. they are in san diego california, but unbelievable service. i live in BC canada, and i ordered a brand new kickstart shaft from them and 4 days later i had it in my hand. and i ordered an idle gear for my KDX too and 3 days later (after ordering it) i had that in my hand. and the fedex guy comes right to your door and personally hands it to you. they are an amazing company to get parts from. and fast service too. i highly recommend visiting their website. the main page on left top of page in the orange bar there is "OEM parts" click on that and follow the prompts and you can find schematics of the parts you need.

hopes this helps ya both out!!!! :) :ride:

cfspawn

Jan 19, 2006
Hey actarus. just wondering if you had a pic of your bike? always good to see it in the flesh.
also check out kdxrider.net for some extra ideas and bits and peices

Spawn

firecat6

Jun 25, 2005
yea i have looked at bikebandit before.... but i was hoping to be able to find a used one or something becuase i really didnt want to have to dump over $400.00 into the bike

actarus

May 31, 2005
cfspawn of course i do ! :)

If you go in the members album's and look up my name !

Those are from the day I recieved it.

And I will surely take look at kdxrider. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion 83mx80, I've only looked at bikebandit for parts on the net as they probably are the ones with the most parts for our bikes ! They even have more then my dealer ! :whoa: I was just hoping to find some place closer to me.

actarus

May 31, 2005
*Update*

Just received new sprockets. Will go from what I presume is stock sprockets to 11-46 witch will probably give a little more top end but less torque. Of course with that I will change the chain to a regular 520 one.

Other than that, the rebuild is on slow mode right now due to limited budget.

Any opinion, sugestion is, as always, welcome

actarus

May 31, 2005
*Update*

Bike is whole again and ready to break-in. After almost one full year, I barely believe it's ready to go ! I'm happy as a kid who would've just gotten the toy he dreamed of ...

I'll keep you posted after break in !

actarus

May 31, 2005
Break-in finished ...

Hi all !

My break-in is finally finished, the bike is running strong but one problem still remains. It eats through plugs like crazy.

Currently, a plug has an expectancy of life of about an hour. I use the plug recommended by Kawi (B9ES), fuel is at 20:1 (recommended by kawi). My carb is stock jetting and a Mikuni VM34SS. When I take out the worn plug, it's mainly black of carbon and not chocolate brown like it is supposed to. As soon as I put a new plug in, the bike will start right away.

Any ideas ?

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Is the plug dried up sooty black or oil soaked / carbon coated black? Either way, you may want to try an NGK B8ES. You may not be running the correct temperature plug.

Any chance the exhaust pipe or silencer/spark arrestor is clogged?

Have you considered going to 32:1 instead of 20:1. I know that is what the 25 year old manual states, but modern oils protect better than oils back then, so you may be able to change.

As always, your jetting may not be perfect for your bike/altitude/humidity/temperature. Feel free to adjust away on that at some point to fine tune.

actarus

May 31, 2005
When I take out the plug, it's carbon coated black. My manual says a B9ES that's why I've been running those but I'm open to the B8ES idea.

There is no packing or whatsoever in my muffler if I remember correctly and the exhaust gasses seems to flow correctly.

I've considered 32:1 but been advised not to since it's old technology but then again, premix oil technology sure have changed in the past 25 years so i guess I have to try it.

About the jetting, it may be possible that it's not correct but I think I'll try the other two options before going that way.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Your plug may not be getting hot enough to burn off the carbon. Mine was like that until I went from a 9 to an 8.

Definitely try that before any jetting changes.

The most important thing is only one change at a time. That will help to keep track of what one single change did.

Good luck with it!

shawn1012k

Aug 18, 2005
I have been running br9es in my 81 kdx 175 and just like you mine is rebuilt this year and I run 32 to 1 and I have changed my plug like a couple weeks ago after riding all summer and I ride alot, so try 32 to 1 and if you still have the problem then I dont know.

johnny boy

Jan 20, 2008
Kdx175 Underpowered

Hi All, Can anyone help me , I have a 1981 kdx175 which has had a new wiseco piston and rings fitted/ re-bored to .25 over standard and the bottom end re-built .
Problem been is the bike ticks over great and revs okay when standing still but when you move off and pull the throttle back it goes okay but very sluggish compared to my old kdx175 which was very quick accellerating .
Any ideas would be welcome.
Thanks,,,,,,John.

Top Bottom