WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
I think that even back in '87 we knew not to put air IN the forks......

Those schraders are there to bleed off the pressure that builds during riding, not to add air.

Although, in this day and age, it's probably difficult to find stiffer springs for a bike like that.

You shouldn't need more than 10 or 12 psi to get the extra spring you're looking for. Besides, more than that and you stand a chance of blowing the seals - if they aren't already gone.

Vos Schola

Apr 16, 2000
well if it's any help to you i have a '87 YZ125 and the manual says no more then 14.2psi and the standard is 0psi. personally i keep 0psi in them because i don't want to introduce any more moisture into them then i absolutly have to. i would venture to say that the settings for a yz80 would be about the same

------------------
-Ant
1999 KDX 220R
1987 YZ 125T

Vester

Jan 22, 2000
Question:
Couldn't the same effect be accomplished by adding pre-load washers on top of the spring? Wouldn't adding air be the same thing as stiffening the preload?

------------------

Vester
96 RM250
"Let's see if an "A" rider tries it first.."

Under_Score

May 11, 2000
ok well I have a 1987 YZ250
smile.gif
I am looking in my manual right now and it says no more then 35psi hhmm so take your pick haha. standard says it is 0psi. Kinda neat that we have all three bikes. Kinda ot for this post but how do you guys like them?? Do either of you guys have icq or aim or anything like that?
...Under_Score

Vos Schola

Apr 16, 2000
hi Under_Score
well to totally honest i don't know how i like it yet. i'm still in the process of rebuilding it. the kid i got it from only did a top end on the bike when he got it. and the rest of the upkeep on the bike was done by me. i did just enough so i would have someone to ride with, and most of the expenses came out of MY POCKET!!!
mad.gif
(he's one of my friends, i traded him an old laptop for it, had he not offered the bike i probobly would have givin him the laptop for free, but oh well it has a better home now). when i last rode it the back brakes did nothing but lock up and the front didn't work. the clutch was slipping really bad, and as it turned out the piston had cracked because he didn't mic the cylinder and get the right size. the suspension was almost non-existant (go figure the fork doesn't work to well without oil in it
rolleyes.gif
) and the shock didn't have a nitrogen charge. besides that i liked the bike alot
smile.gif
. in a couple weeks when it's all rebuilt and i get to test it then i'll be able to say how i like it.
yes i do have AIM and my screen name is Vos Schola ...... makes things easier to remember
smile.gif
. gee looks like i typed a novel here.

------------------
-Ant
1999 KDX 220R
1987 YZ 125T

Under_Score

May 11, 2000
Ya I am rebuilding my bike right now also. I just got the shock rebuilt. And put a new gasket in the transmission side cover and a few other nic nacs here and there. I bought my bike from my neighbor for a litttle too much he acted like nothing was wrong with it but then after I bought it he came by and told me everything that was wrong. Now that I have it looking great and riding better he wants to by it back for a few hudred dollars less then I paid for it. There is no way I am gonna sell it back to him for that.

I added you to my AIM list my name is mac21000.
.......Under_Score

N.H. Hick

Mar 10, 2001
yall been a mighty big help to me, just kidding about the gramar. yeah this is a friends bike, i rode it, it has a big bore kit, 125 with the new sleve, cutom fitted rad valve, it flys at the front wheel is never on the ground. real dangerious for someone 5'3". nice bike stock though. REALLY LOUD. ha ha. thanks for all the help, i had herd that the shocks where air and didn't really know, big help.
oh and by the way my aim is eldelpaso. don't ask why!!!
------------------
ah hick

[This message has been edited by new hampshire hick (edited 03-27-2001).]

Top Bottom