Blisterphish

Jul 15, 2006
Here it is:

New-to-me 2000 PW50 ran great for several weeks. Last week it didn't want to idle.

Turned idle up a bit but then it seemed too high - rear wheel turned at idle and bogged down at about half throttle.

Turned idle back down to normal but it fouls plugs and won't start.

Clean the plug it fires right off but fouls again in less than a minute then dies and won't start again.

Is the air filter on these things significant enough to cause these types of problems? My boy was just tooling around the yard, no serious dirt.

My buddy has a couple JR50's for his girls and says their air filters don't do much and probably would not be causing this problem.

If my bike were acting like this the first thing I would check would be the air filter.

Any ideas?
:think:

buell37

Mar 11, 2008
pw50

Drain the crank oil. to much oil in the crank case will shut these bikes down. The crank case hold 1/3 of a quart so one quart should change the oil 3 times any 10w-40 is ok . never add oil just change it about every 3 or 4 months. put a new plug in it and check the exhaust for blockedge, best to take it off and see if any oil runs out or carbon blockage

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
well if it was running fine and then started running crappy I'd rule out oil level as your issue.

yes the air filter can cause crappy running like you mention.

also the jets are so small even the smallest chunk of dirt in the carb and your toast. pull the carb and clean the jets. while its off clean and oil the filter. you should be set.

buell37

Mar 11, 2008
I guess I wasnt clear. The oil level in the crank case rises everytime you run a tank of gas threw it . The two stroke oil that doesnt get burned in the combustion chamber runs into your crank case, hense if your not changing the oil every now and again . It can get to full and cause a list of trouble , fouling plugs, wont idle, oil in exhaust ,loss of power , hard to start ect... and it can happen overnite

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom