wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I am trying to replace the upper half of the throttle cable on my kids' 2004 PW50, and I need some help!

Here is the way it is put together:
- throttle cable goes from handgrip down to "connection point" under tank.
- under the tank, a white circular piece with two slots on the sides connects the upper throttle cable to the lower throttle cable and oil pump cable.
- a black sleeve slides over the white circular piece to hold it all together and to keep dirt out of the cables.

I can see how it all goes together, but what I have not been able to do is to slide the white circular piece out of the black sleeve. Until I can do this, I can't replace the upper half of the throttle cable. I have tried lube'ing it up with WD40 and shoving it down towards the carb, but the black sleeve will NOT come off of the white circular piece.

One mechanic told me I needed to disconnect the lower half throttle cable from the carb and disconnect the oil pump cable in order to replace the upper half of the throttle cable. I don't think this is right, and besides, I can't figure out a way to disconnect the oil pump cable anyway. :(

I'll never do this job again, but in the meantime, I've got to fix this. Any tips will be GREATLY appreciated! :cool:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I have checked the clymer manual, and it agrees withe your mechanic. You do need to disconnect the cables from the oil pump and carb. Although I am not sure exactly why. It is probably to introduce slack. The disconnect the cable from the oil pump, you must first remove the plastic cover. After that you should see moderately clearly how it's done. There s not a lot of detail on the book, but there is a picture.
Check the black sleeve closely for two screws. This is another area where there is not a lot of detail. ther is an image of the junction showing it separated so that you can see inside. It looks like it just comes apart. If I have time later I'll take a look at the old bike we have and see if I can find any better information.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
You definitely have to remove the oil pump cover to disconnect the oil pump cable, but even then it isn't clear how you disconnect that cable. The cable doesn't look like it slides out of the oil pump, it looks like it has to pop out or be pried out, and I can't rotate the oil pump far enough around to make that easily happen.

To me, however, it doesn't appear that disconnecting the oil pump cable will really accomplish anything. I think the white slotted circular piece is stuck inside the black sleeve. I basically need to pull the white slotted circular piece out of the black sleeve but I have been unsuccessful thus far. Perhaps by disconnecting the oil pump cable I will remove all tension on the white slotted circular piece and then it will come out?

I haven't seen any screws inside the black sleeve, but when you look down into the sleeve you can see two metal pieces on top of the white slotted circular piece; these are undoubtedly the ends of the lower throttle cable and oil pump cable, not screws.

Sounds like my last option is to somehow get the oil pump cable off of the oil pump, thereby releasing tension on the last of the cables and hopefully the white slotted circular piece will come out of that black sleeve. THEN I can replace the throttle cable.

Man, I'll NEVER do this job again, I'll just pay someone else to do it. I can change the oil and springs in my KDX forks in the time I've spent doing this!

Thanks for checking your manual about this, I'll get one of those; the Yamaha manual isn't too helpful. If you have any more tips, please share them!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I took a look at the little rocket in storage and see exactly what you are talking about. It looks nothing like the one in the manual. I did not remove any part of any cables, and did not get it apart. I did, however, pull the small cap off and get a good look inside. Looks like the solution to your problem is simple, brute force!! Just push it down on the carb and pump cables until it gives up.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
The oil injector cable wraps around the oil injection pump similar to how the top of the cabe wraps around the throttle tube. it comes out the same way the top would. you just have to remove the single phillips screw holding the plastic cover on. Much easier with the rear wheel off! Needle nose pliers a must. Also remove the lower cable from the carb slide...should be easy enough, post if you need those directions.

or remove the oil injcetion, install a plug, and put the single piece cable on it. better running bike if you do anyway. parts to be had from www.paxracing.com but check your local racing org because if you race aMa this is not legal.

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Disconnect the cable from the oil pump. Remove the cable from the top of the carb and then you will have the slack to get the white piece out of the tube. I had a heck of a time getting the endcap off the tube the first time I did it. Once you get it back together make sure all of the cable ends are seated or the throttle may hang up.

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
FruDaddy said:
I took a look at the little rocket in storage and see exactly what you are talking about. It looks nothing like the one in the manual. I did not remove any part of any cables, and did not get it apart. I did, however, pull the small cap off and get a good look inside. Looks like the solution to your problem is simple, brute force!! Just push it down on the carb and pump cables until it gives up.

I would not do that. You might break the oil pump assy or one of the lower cables. You were probably kidding.

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
If you haven't already, remove the exhaust (head pipe and expansion chamber) and the oil pump cover. Lift up on the pump end of the cable sleeve and slide the cable out of it's slot. Once the cable is out of the slot, you should have enough slack to disconnect the cable.

While you have the pump cover off it is a good time to clean and lube the pump area. I clean our's after every ride day.

BHicks86

Oct 21, 2006
I will work on it tomorrow, i guess i will need a new exhaust seal if i pull the pipe from the head so i was gonna wait til then to mess with it any.
That cable to the pump appears to have siezed up and wouldnt let the throttle twist. I can start it up and it will idle all day but i couldnt give it any twist to rev the engine. I went and just got all 3 cables and see how they go back but i just didnt know the correct way to get to that grey box that the oil pump cable feeds into.
Will reply and let ya know how it goes. thanks for your info.

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
I've had that happen a few times. Clean the clable and lube it. Also, check the slack adjustment and make sure the sleeve isn't hung up.

You may be able to do it without removing the exhaust. There is one screw that holds the pump cover on. You can get to it from the side. If you can get the cover off then you may be able to leave the exhaust in place. Disconnect the cable from the pump and see if it will slide back and forth in the sheath (sp?).

PM me if you need more help.

BHicks86

Oct 21, 2006
Well i pulled the exhaust off of it, took the cover off the oil pump box, appeared top be all gummed up with **** down in there. I got the cable off and sprayed some cleaner down on the pump, blowed it all off with a air hose and then it got its spring back. I went ahead and changed all the cables while i had it apart anyhow.
But long story short it works good as ever now. Just a little of a pisser how they got those cables made up. Seems it would been just as much less aggravating if they just let ya premix oil/gas and not fool with a pump.
I thought hard about bypassing it, im gonna keep an eye on the oil tank and as long as it uses the oil like its supposed to im gonna let it run like it was made to.
Thanks for the help. Its not that big a deal, just gotta take your time.
Ive always had Hondas since i was a kid with a old Z50 back in the day.
My soon to be 6 year old wanted a bike and this pw50 seemed to be the most simple for him to learn on with no gears to fool with. But its the first 2 stroke ive messed with myself. I think he will be fine on it, little thing pulled me pretty good around here today when i put it all back together.
I owe ya a cold one sometime dude :)

BHicks86

Oct 21, 2006
lol, i got a factory manual today from **** so maybe that will help things along.
I build race cars for a livng myself and turn wrenches every weekend and tearing those things apart from one end to the next aint nothing. But i guess i was just being so picky about this bike is its my sons, and last thing i wanted to do was mess it up.
Wont be so timid next time about tearing this sucker apart when needed.
but will holla if and when i need any advice for sure.
See ya from TN, gonna be racing in memphis saturday, happen to be close to ya?

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Nah, we are on the other end of the state. Plus, my racer is out with a broken leg and won't be cleared to ride until sometime in December. Good luck this weekend and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. I am by no means an expert but I know a little.

Top Bottom