pw50 won't start, please help!!!!!!!!!!!

zeaner

Oct 15, 2004
I know someone has had this problem out there and any assisatance would be great. Okay here goes, pw50 which has been running fine starting to quickly loose power and stalled and wouldn't restart. Since that day , a few weks ago, i have changed the gas (which had a little water in it), bought new plug (good solid blue spark), cleaned the carb and jetting area ( a little bit of dirt), checked the carb settings (1 3/8 turns out), air filter cleaned and oiled, compression tests read about 77psi (wow!), but this bike will not start.......it turns over and wants to sputter (occasionally runs rough for 3-4 seconds) but won't begin to idle, and won't react to a quick throttle twist. Plug is getting gas and so is carb, could this be a electrical issue and if so please offer testing procedure, or any other help, thanx, dean. :bang:

minutz

Feb 6, 2000
You said you cleaned the jetting area, but did you take the pilot jet out and make sure its clean? Like take a strand of copper wire or staight pin and run it through the little hole (they are really small) . I have found this to be critical on small engines. Not sure but 77psi does not sound like much.
Good luck

freightrain

Nov 17, 2004
See if you can pour a little gas in the spark plug hole. If it starts, then your problem is in the carb. If not, the handlebar switch may be to blame. You may be able to disconnect it. My Clymer manual doesn't give a range for compression, but I agree that 77 seems low. Hope this helps.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
close to 100psi when fresh. these are some low compression beasts. I've seen them run below that. You could disconnect the start/ run swith like already mentioned. this will allow you to start it in run and eliminate the start retard timing function. have you checked the reeds? if a dirt clod got stuck in there you will see lower compression readings and it is very hard to start if at all.

You can drop a bit of gas in where the reeds are while they are off to test the carb theory. I've seen them very hard to start if they had an air leak on the carb boot between the filter and carb. They just don't pull enought vacuum to get the fuel up there. Make sure your using the middle choke posistion. It pulls the choke/fuel enrichment slide up the furthest.
If you pop the dome off you will find bad scoring near the exhaust port...almost always have it there. You will need to overbore it min .010" unless its got super low hours on it.

Dec 15, 2004
did you check to see if you put oil in the oil tank because i rode a zuki 50 that was a 2 stroke and it ran out of oil and i couldnt get it to start if my life depended on it then we put some oil in the oil tank and it started up in 2 kicks

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom