gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
My boy, the 6 1/2 yr old, 70 lb. Evel Knevel that he is did it last night. In an attempt to jump the Snake River Canyon, he bent the upper swingarm struts that support the bike. I mean to the point that the tire was rubbing! I'll fix it but his days of serious riding on that bike are now over.

No sense in trying to add heavier springs now. :scream:

He sat on a friend's KX60 and can very easily tip toe on both sides. By next spring it would be a tad too small. The KX65 is a great fit, but I'm a bit affraid of the frame and crank problems. And a KTM is too much money for now.

What's an aspiring canyon jumper to do?

TommyJ

Aug 24, 2003
Me too. (next year though)

Its just inevitable. That KX is calling his name. The bad kx65 storys are kinda scarin me off a little too. I cant drop 3 grand and have trouble with the thing. The kid up the street from us has a kx60 and loves it. Thats one bad little bike.
Maybe the rm65 is worth takin a look at?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by TommyJ
Me too. (next year though)

Its just inevitable. That KX is calling his name. The bad kx65 storys are kinda scarin me off a little too.

Maybe the rm65 is worth takin a look at?

The yellow plastics ease your mind about the troubles?

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
The yellow plastics ease your mind about the troubles?

He he. Yup, the KX65 and RM65 are the same beast.

I'm kinda thinking that if ya could find a used KX/RM65 that has already been broken in, you might get one that will survive. From what I've read here, there seem to be a few lemons though most of them are just fine.

TommyJ

Aug 24, 2003
Kinda looks like a bumble bee anyway.... No kidding same bike different color huh. Must be like the KFX/DVX/Z 400 4 wheelers.
Oops, I wasnt up on that. Least now I know. I just went to their sites and the rm had a $200 higher price than the kx, imagine that. Is this bike Suzi's design?

rybo3

Jun 13, 2002
if you are worried about money,( who isn't) and your kid growing out of a bike to quick, don't overlook buying a used kx 60. i belief from '93 to present they have not changed at all except for maybe B.N.G.'s ( bold new graphics)

i got my kid a '93 kx 60 for $800 and i see them quite a bit for around $1000 to $1200 up in wash. state. definately not as good as a new kx 65, but for the money you can't beat it. and they can still take to the track and be fast in the begginer class.

just my .02

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
correct the 60 has not changed. but the stories about the cranks and frames seem to have eluded me. All we do is race. raced 45 weekends last year and close to the same this year. The majority of the bikes in the 65 class are the kx/rm same exact bike! even says kx in the serial number. Never seen one with a crank failure. I'm sure it happens but if your prudent with jetting and oil then your odds go up against not having this problem. And if you do then buy the Wiseco Hot Rod and the problem is solved.
Its kinda like all the problems I hear about Cobra's having with stators. We raced 2 years solid in Arizona with temps well over 100º and only had one stator failure.
But then how many of these failures are used race bikes that were never torn down and inspected at the end of each season??? There is a lot to be said for preventative maintenance.

Top Bottom