PW80 rear suspension breakthrough!

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Ya know that wimpy little POS shock that is on your PW80 or TT90R or whatever? In searching for fixes, all that seems to be available is a $100 spring or a $300 Works Shock.

Well this Mother of Invention wanted more options. So I was searching around E-bay for something that might work and the light bulb went on. :clue: The stock shock is roughly 11". And I just happened to have some take off shocks from a.......................... Harley Davidson Sportster!

Yup. It's a 12" shock and it squeezes into the frame tightly. But it does suspend the bike far better than stock. I have a shifter seal to replace before it can be test ridden. My biggest concern is that I'll need a 'real' chain guide as the bike sits pretty high in back now.

I'll take some pics and post them.

These shocks are frequently taken off in favor of better pieces. I bet you can find them on E-bay for maybe $50 a pair. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Oh.... an there are no bent valves on a PW80. :nener:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Can you say, "headshake"?

:)

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Eh... a PW80 doesn't have radical geometry to start with. I raised the rear last summer by drilling another hole in the frame that moved the mount about an inch back. My boy hasn't had any trouble with that set up. This one might be a little steeper. We'll have to see.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
KAW VULCAN shock and others work also . You might want to take the spring off and heat it and squash it down a bit if the kids are going to be riding .

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
The Jesster rode it yesterday with decent results. But it does seem to kick up the rear end a bit when he tries to get air.

I'm by no means a suspension expert. The dampening in HD shocks is pitiful to begin with so that seems to be OK. Two of them hold up a 500 LB. Sportster and me so you're looking at 700 lbs. Figure the PW is 130 lbs. and Jesse weighs maybe 80 in riding gear so there's 210. Plus riding off road is a bit tougher than what the HD shock was designed for in the first place.

It is definitely an upgrade from the stock POS. But I'll have to keep an eye on it kicking up the rear end. The spring might be a tad too stiff.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Don't know for sure, but I would guess that the swingarm/shock geometry is slightly different than on the Harley.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Oh, I'm sure it is, Vic. But it's close enough to rock and roll for now. We'll just have to see.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
After a couple of weeks on the HD shock, it's apparent that it's not the cats meow. While it is better than a sacked out stock unit, the travel doesn't seem to be enough and the spring rate is a bit high.

I'll keep looking on **** for something <$50.

Anyone know of a shock that is 11-11.5"?

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
have you considered a Mtn Bike shock?.... Fox makes shocks in ALL KINDS of sizes for them, and all kinds of applications (from air sprung lightweight CC shocks to coil sprung/ heavy dampned DH rigs).... and places like Risse Racing will make a shock to whatever specs you want..

I would think that (that auction place) would probably have some used ones out there (they are a common upgrade for DH'ers.... and you probably want a DH shock anyways)

2dayinc

Aug 11, 2005
gwcrim said:
Ya know that wimpy little POS shock that is on your PW80 or TT90R or whatever? In searching for fixes, all that seems to be available is a $100 spring or a $300 Works Shock.

Well this Mother of Invention wanted more options. So I was searching around E-bay for something that might work and the light bulb went on. :clue: The stock shock is roughly 11". And I just happened to have some take off shocks from a.......................... Harley Davidson Sportster!

Yup. It's a 12" shock and it squeezes into the frame tightly. But it does suspend the bike far better than stock. I have a shifter seal to replace before it can be test ridden. My biggest concern is that I'll need a 'real' chain guide as the bike sits pretty high in back now.

I'll take some pics and post them.

These shocks are frequently taken off in favor of better pieces. I bet you can find them on E-bay for maybe $50 a pair. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Oh.... an there are no bent valves on a PW80. :nener:
Check out www.x-tender.com for all your Yamaha PW80 & TTR90 needs!
I ran across it the other day and it's awsome!

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
have you considered just using the stocker until you break down and get a better bike? I don't mean to sound crude but the pw80 is just really a get your feet wet type bike. once they are finding the limits of that bike its really just time to get a proper racer and go from there. Lots of headaches fiddle farting with the suspension. Once you get the rear sorted you'll be working on the front. Hell even a klx 110 is better to deal with from a suspension/ performance aspect than the pw80.

kawi_101

Aug 28, 2006
i know most people have pw80's to start themselves off but im keepin mine until shes broke. I am upgrading mine until its faster than an 85. Right now i have about $800-900 canadian invested in my machine.

I also have a kvf 650 and am buying a CRF450 soon, but the pw80 is for my younger brothers and for me to just ride on the road with.

kawi_101

Aug 28, 2006
the upgrades i have on my machine are:

Air box modification
Moose Air filter
Blue Sport ATV Fairing
Carb Jet (.120)
FMF Gold Series Pipe
FMF Power Core II
Boyesen Power Reeds
Namura Teflon Piston
High Performance Head
Removed oil injector (GAs is 33:1 Syntec 2stroke)
BP4HS Platinum Spark Plug
X-Tender Lift Kit
Pw80 Motorcross Graphics Kit

I also removed as many restrictors on the machine as possible (Exhaust restrictor ETC).

Believe me, its worth the money to do this. Its almost like having a 125. Next upgrade im getting is to port the cylinder. I will put up a pic of my bike as soon as i get all these ups installed.

Top Bottom