B

biglou

Looks like Randy and I will be driving across country for this, and it looks like we may be hauling Eddie and Aimee's bikes. So my question is, if we were to only be there to ride for two of the three days (fri-sat-sun), which two days should it be, fri and sat, or sat and sun?

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Lou - You really need to hear from the out-of- towners, but Saturday and Sunday are the biggest days. I like Friday and Saturday the best.probably because I am spent by Sunday. Sunday is a local desert race about an additional 30 minutes away if anyone is interested. If there is enough interest - I can arrange complete pit accomodations at the race from my local club.

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Speaking as an out-of-towner....

Friday's good for getting your bearings, checking in, blah-blah. Almost everybody rides on Sat-Sun.

My $0.02 ..... E-Ticket

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I arrived Moonrocks around 11 am on Friday last time.
I think there were only about 8-10 trucks then.
Then more people started coming in the afternoon.

I think many more people will be riding on Saturday and Sunday than Friday.
So I would say you should be there for Saturday and Sunday!

Mini ;)

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Lou, I'd do Sat-Sun simply so that you'll be fresh on Saturday - that's the big riding day. A lot of people are spent by Sunday. I don't know which was more sore - my back or my butt!

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by TTRGuy
Lou, keep me up to date on your plans - i'd hate to plan on riding Sunday or Friday and then not have a bike :)

I'll always have a bike for you to ride, snookums. :eek:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Unless the snow is over 8" deep snow makes it even more fun. We have only had a dusting once, and that was late on the last day the first year (if memory serves me correctly). It really does not snow that much in the valley, just the mountains. You probably know what our weather is like since you live so close.

As far as the ground there is some of everything. I would say it is mostly soft though.

russ95678

Aug 6, 2002
I know the weather pretty well, it's just that I've never ridden that high desert with that kindof weather. Sounds like a blast.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Strick - your memory is sort of correct. There was snow on the ground on Saturday of '01 - when you and I were riding together 'cause all those other guys got lost.... There was also snow in some of the higher valleys last year - the intermediate/advanced trailride where Kevin kept spinning donuts in the switchbacks. There wasn't enough snow to cause any problem - only made things more fun.

Brian

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Brian - thanks for bringing me back to reality. You are right. the snow on the North end of the Dog skins last year, let's say, was entertaining.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Originally posted by Strick
[B You are right. the snow on the North end of the Dog skins last year, let's say, was entertaining. [/B]
I concur! I only crashed twice last year and both time were within 50 yards of each other in the snow. I can't remember that last time I had so much fun crashing.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
From the First Annual Ladies Valentine's Day Spodefest:

Attachments

• reno snow.jpg
    reno snow.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
The first year had a little more snow I believe. There was one icy little hill that gave me fits. Other than that it was great. I also remember that a huge storm moved through northern cal. earlier in the week. It dumped 3 FEET of snow in the coastal mountains of california. I thought for sure Reno would be snowed in. To my surprise the conditions near perfect. Last year it was perfect! I also rode in december of last year right before Christmas. It snowed all night in Sparks, but was not as much at moonrocks. By the way, that was some of the funnest riding I've ever done.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I run an intermediate terrain tire m-12. The two most common rear tires I see here are the M-12, and Dunlop Desert 739AT

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by russ95678
Dumb question here: are regular (hard, soft?) knobbies fine?

I ran the stock D739s on my WR the first year and D756s last year. IMO the 739s were horrible - at least the front was. The 756s worked great.

Brian

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
Another question here for veterans of past rides. What activities, if any, are typically available for family members that don't ride? If I am able to make it, this will need to be a family event (wife+two kids under 5yrs). Leaving them in the hotel while I ride all day would not make me very popular!

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
My son ( 4 years old last year) had a blast climbing the rocks, hiking and exploring. There were several people last year who didn't / don't ride. Plenty of nice people to keep non-riding spouses company. Another possibility is that some other lady might talk your wife into trying to ride.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Exploring the Moonrocks is probably fun for the little guys. Also with well over 100 people, there are people around the pits constantly. A fire with toasted marshmallows, and hot dogs on a stick is a fun activity for a while. As Brian said above, I think everyone would stay busy.

Buddy

Aug 14, 2001
Campfire for warmth?
What is the wood/fuel situation like for a campfire. Having a small or large fire burning would be nice for warming up.
Strick: Should we consider buying say a 1/2 cord of wood? Just have it dropped off for group use. We can get a $ kitty going like we did for the Porta Poties. Just an idea.
What do you think?
Buddy
P.S. If we have the support $$/need , I volunteer.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom