BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by IrishEKU
"Dump Ducks"

:laugh:

Amazingly enough, those foul creatures :laugh: used to be endangered here in Michigan. Now they are "protected" and every land fill site is covered with them!

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Originally posted by BadgerMan

Amazingly enough, those foul creatures :laugh: used to be endangered here in Michigan. Now they are "protected" and every land fill site is covered with them!

The things I learn on DRN! When were "dump ducks" endangered in Michigan??? I sure don't remember that!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by MWEISSEN

The things I learn on DRN! When were "dump ducks" endangered in Michigan??? I sure don't remember that!

Mark,

If my memory is correct, it was at least thirty years ago, maybe more. I believe you can get yourself in a bit of trouble for killing them.

TF

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Gotta watch out for that green stuff!
Anybody ever been fishing for dump ducks? When I was very young I was very bad!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by XRpredator
I think I'll just have a burger, thankyouverymuch

I'll ride shotgun with you in the WHAAAmbulance Pred and have one too. :thumb:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by BadgerMan

They are still protected around here . . . you will get a fine if you are caught shooting one. I don't know why they are protected, they are certainly not endangered. I grew up on a lake--they are EVERYWHERE. We shot them anyway of course.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I did a google search and found this:

Although humans no longer kill Herring Gulls to satisfy a heavy commercial demand for their feathers, their activities still have negative effects on the birds. In the mid-1960s and early 1970s, Herring Gulls nesting on the Great Lakes were found to be experiencing reproductive failure — although there were lots of nests, there were hardly any chicks to be found. Detailed studies showed that early deaths of embryos and abnormal parental behaviour during incubation were at least partly responsible for the reproductive failure, and scientists suggested that high levels of organochlorine compounds (including polychlorinated biphenyls or PCBs, DDT-related compounds, and mirex) in both adults and eggs were to blame.

I remember a similar discussion from science class many moons ago. Here's the entire article:

http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/hww-fap/hww-fap.cfm?ID_species=21&lang=e

The article says they are protected because they are migratory birds and not because they are endangered. I read another article where a town in Wisconsin is now shooting a controlled number of gulls to lower their numbers. Gulls have caused e-coli problems in other areas around Lake Michigan, so I have heard.

Flying rats, dumpster ducks, pretty foul creatures IMHO.

My apologies for side tracking an otherwise tasteful thread.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Yum!!! Fresh Salmon box is my favorite, but being a cajun i eat just about all of it. raw oysters....raw fish its all the same to me. :thumb:

I have to agree that the rainbow roll for a starter is very bold. Be careful I find sushi to be like riding the more you do it the more you want it. :worship:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
the thing with the Japanese is that they have so much technology developed there, yet all they could come up with as far as eating utensils is a pair of sticks.

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
While eating sashimi at Nick's in Chicago, I mistakenly popped the "large olive" on my plate" into my mouth. I don't know what I was thinking, but the "large olive" turned out to be a big chunk of wasabi diguised as an olive. I had a tablespoon of the stuff in my mouth and was hopping around like my foot was on fire.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Originally posted by Philip
Yum!!! Fresh Salmon box....

:think:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Going out for sushi tonight for my birthday. The chef we frequent makes a kick-ass yellowtail roll. Hey FC22, if'n you've heard of an Alaska roll but haven't tried it, TRY IT! Tempura rolls are tasty too. Yup, hibachi steak w/ some sushi for appetizer...I'm like Homer w/ little chocolate donut thingys around that stuff.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
CR Swade--go to the Melting Pot, instead. When Fondu came out (again.. :silly: ), I was very negative about it and wondered why anyone would want to sit around and dip food into some Velveeta crap or something, and was blaming the entire thing on another bandwagon, fad society thing that Generation Next or X or whoever brought out of Manhattan.

I was surprised, to say the least. Give it a shot with a really good bottle of extra Dry Champagne and go for it.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I've heard of it, just never got around to trying it.

There is actually a new-to-KC restaraunt called the Kona Grill, and I think we might hit it this weekend. It is my favorite right now-plus they have great Kona joe and fresh macadameia nut pie. They have two other locations in Arizona and it friggin rocks. The sea bass is unbelievable and yes, they serve sushi. I just can't order the sea bass without snickering, thinking of our ol' buddy and his "wine em', dine em', 69 em" hat (yes I'm speaking of Sea Bass himself-kick his ass Sea Bass!!)

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
My brother eats there frequently. I'll have to try it.

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by dirty~d~
but since you're a stud I'll bet you went straight for the heavy stuff. :worship:
Only from the ocean,Here goes,
Raw crab
Raw squid
Raw sword fish (cheaper) than,
Raw Tuna//Yellow and Blue Fin, w/yellow hot mustard and alittle soy sauce
Raw Sea urchins ( Vah-nah) you know the ones with the long spikes,
and also the round purple ones without spikes. :laugh:

Sushi is alright, if your a Rookie ;)

MX2_motorex

Jan 7, 2003
I LOVE SUSHI every time we go to the china restruant we order a half pound of sushi and a bunch of that really hot green sauce. We tried every kind of sushi at that restruant. Then we tried makeing our own sushi that was gross yuk. Fake sea weed is the nastyest thing ever, the fish was good though.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by CR Swade
Going out for sushi tonight for my birthday. The chef we frequent makes a kick-ass yellowtail roll. Hey FC22, if'n you've heard of an Alaska roll but haven't tried it, TRY IT! Tempura rolls are tasty too. Yup, hibachi steak w/ some sushi for appetizer...I'm like Homer w/ little chocolate donut thingys around that stuff.

Happy birthday!

I will look for those 2 things to try. I can't wait to go again. I'm hungry . . .

BCR-Bob

Sponsoring Member
Mar 8, 2001
You may also want to try Unagi, it's fresh water eel, and it's cooked. Try a couple pieces next time, if you like the salmon and tuna, you'll like it.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by BCR-Bob
it's fresh water eel.

O-K, I'm officially stating for the fact that that is EWWWWW!

:ugg: EEL, yuck! Great Striper Bait, but after seeing Lampray's feed on Salmon, EEL's = Bait, Food= YUCK!

BCR-Bob

Sponsoring Member
Mar 8, 2001
Yea, you for sure don't want to think too much about when you sit down to eat. Just go blindly into the fog, kind of like a desert race.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Ahhh, unagi...me thinks the only sushi that is better would be fresh yellowtail, or maybe spicy tuna. I lost my sushi virginity to unagi and it is a mainstay on the tray. Most tasty rolls have unagi in them somewhere.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
There's something wrong with all of this, my friends, besides the "yuck!" factor, and that's parasites, moreover worms - the best chef's eyes can't possibly get all of the foreign eggs and critters out - you're bound to intake some...there's a reason why fire came along.

Top Bottom