Rideblue4ever

Aug 28, 2006
i have a 2000 Yz250 that i have burned up the top end and bottom end in. The Cylinder doesnt look bad at all though but if i was to replace the cylinder could i get it RESLEEVEd? it doesnt look like they can be resleeved so i am wondering if i would have to pay for a whole new cylinder or get a bore kit

mr_2stroke

May 24, 2006
i think as long as you dont have any cracks and so on in the cyclinder you could resleeve, aus dollars its about 350$
There are pro's and con's with both nikasil plating and sleeveing, sleeveing pro being that if something does go wrong and if its not to bad you can bore it out and get a new piston kit and off you go again, cons for the sleeving being that its not as good at transfering heat and will not run as cool as a nikasil bore thus losing some power when the engine gets really hot.
pros for the nikasil are : it is better at transfering heat and will run better than the sleeve when it gts hot.
cons for the nikasil plating are: when something goes wrong internaly and you have damage to the cyclinder you have to get it re-coated which ends up being a very exspenive problem.
I'm considering sleeveing for my wr250(2 stroke) so its up to you what you want to do, i hope ive helped you :cool:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The other con of sleeving is "Exactly where the hell do you get oversized piston ???'

Many times you can only get one oversized piston before running out of sleeve. The sleeves do wear. What good is a nice smooth bore if you cannot get a piston? The sleeve also ruins the cylinder when you realize what an error you made by sleeving. Not that I know anything about that...

[Mod Edit - Please post this in the For Sale / Wanted forum]

mr_2stroke

May 24, 2006
well in australia the piston range for sleeves must be a lot larger than where you live, i have no problem getting a oversize piston, what happenes is when you get a sleeve you go back to a standard size piston and then you just get either wiseco or vertex oversize pistons, easy as that

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
If you resleeve it you probably won't be happy. You never really get the port work right. If you really have your heart set on a new cylinder you could send it to Millenium Technologies . They can re-chrome your cylinder alot cheaper.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
mr_2stroke said:
well in australia the piston range for sleeves must be a lot larger than where you live, i have no problem getting a oversize piston, what happenes is when you get a sleeve you go back to a standard size piston and then you just get either wiseco or vertex oversize pistons, easy as that

I have no problem getting "ONE" oversized piston, but have you ever checked to see just how many you can get? I was hoping it would be like the old days. 3-4 pistons...no way. The sleeve we used was for the stock piston and 1 oversized. After that, the sleeve is too thin to be useful.

Besides that, its not as if booring is free either. Very few skilled people bore motorcycle cylinders. When they do, they are quite proud of their work!

Rideblue4ever

Aug 28, 2006
well im gona do the whole bottom and top end rebuilds myself...i am 16 and mechanically skilled so do u think i should attempt this or not...

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I repaired/updated a dirtbike transmission at the age of 16. The funny thing is, the dealer screwed it up twice and I was successful on my first attempt.

Rideblue4ever

Aug 28, 2006
alright thanks....i started beginnging taking the cases apart well the clutch and stuff out but i am really worried that i might screw it up.its just the BOTTOM END im scared doing cuz of the gears and stuff..how much does it ussally cost to just have labor done if i got the parts on just the bottom end...just a estimate?

Top Bottom