cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
ok normally my bike hauls pretty fast to were i usually have to hang on pretty good.then yesterday i took it out for like 1/2 hr.but it felt really really fast and touchy like really fast and i havent done anything new to it i pinned the throttle on this straight way shifted into second from third and the bad boy threw me off the back after it stood up straight and i ate some serious crape.what could have caused this?it was like my bike was on no2 or something it was acting really fast!!but yeah what could have caused this?ive had the bike for almost a yr so im used to the way it is usually running any suggestions?-oh its a 03 cr85r expert? :whoa:

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
kta176 said:
You could have been running rich during the summer. Now that it's cooler outside your bike is running leaner.

+1, Man I love it when that happens, like jesus came down from the clouds & gave me a surprise present of HORSE POWER. thank you jeebus

cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
oh flying fuzz ball yes theyre was a lil bit well kina more then that.now clean it all off and ride it see if its gone and if so then im fine?and i dont have to make it richer?whats the deal with that?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
cr85re said:
thats bad right so add more oil in the cold?

Lean / Rich has nothing to do with the amount of oil you use.

That's the premix ratio, and should never change. 32:1.

If it was too rich in the summer, and the colder weather has leaned it out enough so that it's running right, it means that the air is denser, giving you more air in the FUEL - AIR ratio.

Now, when summer comes back around and the bike starts to run like a dog, you should be able to figure out that it's running RICH again, and you should rejet accordingly. (smaller main, leaner needle)

cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
alright so my bike is alawys supposed to be this fast.cause it was hauling some booty.like one of the fastest machines ive rode and ive rode some bad boy bikes before,.but so its always supposed to be this fast?and in the summer i its now as fast im to rich again?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The CR85 has a very strong hit in stock form in the upper mid RPM's. If you haven't run the bike out that far before it could very well feel like a different bike. If it was running rich all summer and now is getting closer to lean or optimum settings because of the colder (i.e. denser) air then yes it will very much feel like it's a different bike. Most people spend lots of money on worthless bling to get what you seem to be having, enjoy it :)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
It might be running fine now, however, when it gets warm out again it will be rich again.

Have you read the jetting threads?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yes it will be perfectly fine until it isn't anymore.

cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
how do i read the jetting threads?i am not the best with mechanical stuff and im still learning basic stuff although im not completely stupid they're is still alot more for me to learn.and pat man it will be perfectly fine till whats not anymore? just until my bikes not running right or something?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Go to the top of the page and look towards the top right corner, see "Search" that's how you get to the jetting threads or most anything else you can think of for that matter. Another REALLY good idea is to pick up Eric Gorr's MX & Off-Road Performance Handbook and read it! http://www.ericgorr.com/mxandoffroad.html You'll learn a lot that will help you for as long as you are involved with engines of any type.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
cr85re said:
um so what do i do?
Look at the spark plug and make sure you aren't lean, I'm sure you were probably too rich in the hot summer weather, but look at the plug too make sure.
+1 on what Patman just said. :cool:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
cr85re said:
um how do i check my plug to see if it is to lean?what will the plug look like?

Like I said...

Patman said:
Go to the top of the page and look towards the top right corner, see "Search" that's how you get to the jetting threads or most anything else you can think of for that matter. Another REALLY good idea is to pick up Eric Gorr's MX & Off-Road Performance Handbook and read it! http://www.ericgorr.com/mxandoffroad.html You'll learn a lot that will help you for as long as you are involved with engines of any type.

cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
im sorry patman.um i cant find something that tells me if i am running to lean and how to tell if i am by looking at my plug? :(

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
OK there is no just add water answer for you. It's going to take a bit of work so check this link and read the links within it, get the book I suggested and read it. You will have more questions but you will at least become educated on the topic so that you can better understand what is going on.

Start here:
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=5266&highlight=sparkplug

Top Bottom