justwannaride

Aug 31, 2004
I have a 99 yz 250, that I purchased used last year. Should the rear axle slide out, once the nut is removed , the chain tensionor loosened and chain removed? I tried hammering the axle thur but it started pulling the bearings out of the wheel with the axle. How do you remove the stuck axle? Thanks for any help.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
the axle should slide out.....ahh, the joys of not greasing the bolt - it probably has seized to the collar in the hub (between the bearings)....>I've had luck pounding them out (ruined a punch, the bolt and my finger too)....once we had to wedge the swingarm out and fit a cutting wheel in to cut the axle so we could get the wheel off. good luck.

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
Same thing happened to my front axle. Siezed up (was also bent) due to not servicing it after a muddy ride (went swimming), and then forgetting about it for a while.

Here's what I did:
1) penetrating oil whereever I could get it
2) Hot rag around the hub
3) deadblow and a drift.

The bearings came with it. I replaced the axle and bearings.

If it is siezed to the spacer, I would replace it as well. You may be albe to apply some heat to the spacer, but be careful. You're working in tight quarters. I heat gun would be preferable to a torch.

good luck.

mag

Top Bottom