rear shock rebuild help needed

dwiggins

May 8, 2007
Can someone walk me through the steps to rebuild my own rear shock. Please include where you would buy the parts needed. What oil to use and how much to use. The shock is off a 98 KDX220. I have searched but have not found what I need. I rebuild motors and forks, but have never torn down a shock. Is it worth it to do it yourself or should I send it out. If so, to who? Jeff? Thanks in advance. I may not be able to check this for about two weeks. Going on vacation with my wife and she said NO LAP TOP!!!

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
You can buy the shock oil and sealhead from any shop. Rocky Mountain MC/ATV carries the parts. Rebuilding the shock is not a simple thing though. You will need nitrogen to finish the job. You will also need to grind the end of the shaft where the nut holds the piston assembly in place. The shaft is peened from the factory to keep the nut from coming off. Invariably, you will have to grind the nut a little bit too, so you will have to order a new nut as well. If you can find somebody who has a Racetech shock rebuild video or DVD, watch that. It will tell you a lot about what you need to know. Otherwise, it's better to have a professional do the work for you.
102_0073.jpg

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom