Rear suspension *sucks*, adjustments do _nothing_, what am I getting myself into?

emolatur

Apr 12, 2010
1994 kx80-t4 (Big-wheel), the rear suspension is best described as "floppy", if I give it a push down and let go, it bounces around several times.

When I bought the bike, I was informed by the former owner that "the rear shock sucks", so I knew this was an issue. I put off fixing it. With my recent success in rebuilding the bottom end of the engine, I figure I'm ready to tackle the suspension problem next.

Problem is I have no idea where to begin. NONE of the adjustments do anything. I can go from one extreme to the other, and nothing changes...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You may find the nitrogen and oil have leaked out. A rear shock service would involve changing the oil, nitrogen, seals and what not. The lack of service sucks, not likely the shock. Vintage Bob

emolatur

Apr 12, 2010
Thank you. That was kind of what I was suspecting, but wasn't sure. I've tried for a couple hours to find a site somewhere that would verify that the symptoms I have matched an oil-less nitrogen-less shock but said site doesn't seem to exist, so I had to ask. :)

I've found a site that shows how to take them apart and fill them with oil, and should have time to do this tonight.

Another site indicated that, if you removed all the nitrogen through the fill valve, oil will come out behind it. Are the nitrogen and oil in the same location? ie, if I were to remove the center part of the valve (I've got the tool to do that), would I be able to put oil in through there without disassembling the whole thing?

This site seems to be pretty fast so I'll patiently await an answer before I do anything. The shock has to come off the bike either way so I'll at least get that done while I'm waiting. :)

Top Bottom