Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
Earlier today, I THOUGHT that I posted a link to an ongoing report about the restoring of my latest 1986 KDX. It seems to be gone now. If there is some rule about not posting a link to another forum, I was unaware of it.

[Mod Edit] - There is, and now you know. ;)

If you want to share your restoration project you are more than welcome to post the info here. But please don't use this forum to link to somewhere else you posted it.

Very well then....very unusual though. :think:

Last edited:

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
_JOE_ said:
Yeah, let's see it!
Sorry, it's going to be delayed. The original thread is very long and full of pictures (and not finished), the project is stalled while waiting on some last hard to find items and a family health crisis with my elderly parents has eaten up all my free time.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
well i have tried seaching for what may be another site ..used 1986 kdx200, 86 kdx rebuild ,..fentley give us a clue on how to search for the rebuild thread please

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
sr5bidder said:
well i have tried seaching for what may be another site ..used 1986 kdx200, 86 kdx rebuild ,..fentley give us a clue on how to search for the rebuild thread please
I belong to a local dualsport ADVENTURE RIDERS club here in the SAN DIEGO area. We have club meetings and put on organized and casual dualsport rides. I am actually a forum moderator for those guys, as well as a really active member.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Dirtdame said:
I belong to a local dualsport ADVENTURE RIDERS club here in the SAN DIEGO area. We have club meetings and put on organized and casual dualsport rides. I am actually a forum moderator for those guys, as well as a really active member.

as well as a hell of a good wrench!!
nice!!..... of all the rebuilds I do I never ever would rebuild my own crank!!

in the thread you said waiting on parts washer.... is there a good deal on the net for parts washers or should I just go to harbor frieght?

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
sr5bidder said:
as well as a hell of a good wrench!!
nice!!..... of all the rebuilds I do I never ever would rebuild my own crank!!

in the thread you said waiting on parts washer.... is there a good deal on the net for parts washers or should I just go to harbor frieght?
I bought a cute little metal table top washer from Flea Bay for 40 dollars delivered. :cool:

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
Mine is called a Wel-Bilt and is 18X14X9. Just big enough to wash cases and cylinders of a single cylinder dirt bike engine. I used to have a gigantic parts washer that sat on a 30 gallon barrel of solvent, but the days of being able to have something like that in California are long gone. It's hard enough to find anybody that still sells stoddard solvent in this state.

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
Finally! After more than two months of rebuilding things on this project, I got the bike completed this afternoon. The bad part was finding a carb for it and the needle jet. I ended up with a carb off of a 1985 KX125, and then had to buy a needle jet for a different series Mikuni and modify the air dam on it to work with my carb. :think: After installing all the proper jetting into the KX carb, I popped it onto the bike and fired it up. It just purred. I ran it through the gears a few times and tweaked the idle. The major hurdles have been overcome. There are still some things that it needs, but I now have a fun little reliable runner with a bit of personality. :cool:

The "before" picture when Fentley was known as Fugly....a neglected pile of green dooky that I had just brought home (with a hole in the gas tank).
IMG_0199.jpg

Fentley all finished up with Bentley in the background.
102_0147.jpg

102_0143.jpg

The things that were done (so far) to the bike:

Change fork oil
switch out oxidized green plastic with fresher white plastic.
Renthal bars and new grips
R and R engine; fresh main bearings, seals, rod rebuild, hone barrel, Pro X piston assembly, fresh reeds
R and R shock absorber; new shaft bumper, sealhead
Switch out carb and jetting, new air filter, better air boot
New brake shoes and wheel bearings int he rear wheel assembly
Paint bits of the frame, shifter, brake pedal, straighten and paint foot pegs.
Add hand guards
Replace seat cover
Sand blast and repaint exhaust system

Things left to do:
R and R steering stem bearings (but they aren't too bad right now)
R and R fork seals (they'll probably blow in about three rides)
Drill out fork damper assemblies for a better ride
R and R front wheel bearings
Change tires and tubes (they're sort of hard, but not cracked and have a decent amount of tread left)

Last edited:

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
glad2ride said:
WOW! Thanks for posting the results! It looks great!

What did you paint the pipe with?
Thanks.

I used the wrong paint to paint the exhaust with, apparently.

I wanted a nice shiny finish and I wanted a grey color, so I had this old (too old, I'm guessing) Kal Guard exhaust paint that i used. Big mistake. The paint never cured properly, even under the heat of engine operation. It felt nice, slick and solid, but soon softened during Fentley's maiden voyage in the desert, and got dirt stuck in it and scratch marks from all the bushes it hit along the singletrack. :bang: The muffler part was done with some cheap black Rustoleum barbecue paint and came out completely unscathed after the ride. I guess it's back to the sand blaster and then I'll be shooting that Rustoleum on the chamber as well.

Top Bottom