rebuilt clutch, kickstarter wont return

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
ok, a shop took apart the bike, they gave me an estamit. so, i declined and, they gave me the clutch in pieces.
i bought parts. i started last night. the kicker starter springs and, gears fell out on my. now i put it back the way i think it was. the kick starter will not return anymore and, the gears are grinding as if i was holding it down the hole time.ALSO, IT DIDNT RETURN WHEN THEY GAVE IT BACK TO ME, SO....

does anyone have pictures or, diagrams? will a clymer manual have this? thanks for any help.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
the kick starter gears are grinding. as if when you hold the kicker start down while its running. that same thing is happening.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Your return spring is broken. Order your clutch parts and a return spring. When you get your manual it will be a straight forward repair.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
The spring has to be in a hole in the case. It also needs to be wound, usally like 3/4 of a turn, there needs to be spring tension on the starter shaft with the lever in the "parked" position. Chances are the spring poped out when the shop removed the case, they knew you had to take it apart to fix the clutch so they did not wind it back up since its kinda of a PITA.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
If you need a parts fich, got to bike bandit or another OEM parts seller, they have all of the fich's;

but first off, get a d**n manual. IT REALLY HELPS A LOT and they cost a good bit less than the parts you will probably jack up if you dont know what youre doing. :cool:

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
ZOMBIE666 said:
If you need a parts fich, got to bike bandit or another OEM parts seller, they have all of the fich's;

but first off, get a d**n manual. IT REALLY HELPS A LOT and they cost a good bit less than the parts you will probably jack up if you dont know what youre doing. :cool:

:) :laugh: :nod:

The shop likely didn't reassemble the thing completely, since you are going to be working on it anyway!

A manual for your bike will show how all the parts go back together. A Clymer/Chilton manual is better than nothing, but a factory manual would be even better! You can get one from the dealer, mail order place, or even ePay!

A manual is the best thing you can do for your bike!

Rotor

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
m4i2k2e2 said:
the kick starter gears are grinding. as if when you hold the kicker start down while its running. that same thing is happening.

I can hold my kick start lever down after the engine starts and it doesn't grind any gears......

Rod

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
rmc_olderthandirt said:
I can hold my kick start lever down after the engine starts and it doesn't grind any gears......

Rod
True, however, if the spring "tang" that goes into a small hole in the case is not in the hole, it can cause a bind and push the starter gear into the main gear causing it to grind.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Or he heres the rachet sound you here if you hold your starter down after its starts "not letting up after the starting kick"

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
If you put the kick stater together wrong on the Hondas, the gear can hit the primary reduction gear on the clutch basket and make a grinding noise as well.

Top Bottom