Reliability and maintenance of 2003 525SX

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I am considering purchasing a 2003 525sx this week, my local dealer has a new one left over and will sell it to me cheap. I am currently riding a 2002 RM250. I was wondering if this is a reliable bike and how much general maintanence it will need between rides. Also, what type of breaken will it need, what needs changed, clamps, suspension springs, ect. I am 5'9" and weight 225.

Thanks for the in put, the only 4-stroke I have ridden was a 2002 Crf 450, which i liked.

storytime

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Well bad news your rm 250 will eat clutch baskets and clutches like there going out of style. As for the KTM it's appetite for rear tires and chain and sprockets is very ravenous. After riding my buddies KTM 525 I had to admit I am not the man I once was. That thing flat out hauled butt like a topfuel dragster. So I did the next best thing and bought a 04 Ktm 450 sx, and at 44yrs old and after riding for over 34 of thouse years I will say this. My 04 450 SX is the easiest bike I have ridden and ridden, fast in a long time!

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Did you change anything right away on your 450sx or is pretty good stock. The Rm is on the wayout, also. Listed it in the local trader.

storytime

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Yes I did change the tripple clamps to 18mm offset mostly due to the fact I rode Hondas for so many years and I just wanted the bike to turn a little sharper. And I put Honda grips on it . I did have to adjust the valves at about 10 hrs ride time on motor.
I will also be putting a new rear tire on it in the not too distant future, going with a Michilen s12. The bridgestones that are on it are realy bad in the wet. Outher than that it's stock and realy easy to ride. Good luck on your buying adventure.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Picked it up last night, haven't rode it yet, just fired it up and it sounds mean. Going to break it in this weekend. I ordered some heavier shock and fork springs (my weight 230 lbs) and a skid plat, swithed bars from my RM, brand new twin walls had to swith them.

It is hard to adjust the valves? This is my first 4-stroke.

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
Valve adjustment is easy. I recently bought a 2nd hand 02 400, I wasn't looking forward to the job as a confirmed 2 stroke rider. No drama though.

Top Bottom