m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
right now im have a bad stuffy nose and chest congestion. what do you guys use to get rid of this? im trying the mucinex DM for the first time. i just took it. what doy ou guys rocommend. i hate being sick.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I unfortunately have vast experience. Stay away from all dairy products. Lots of fluids and the Mucinex. If you have a vaporizor, use it. Take vitamine C and B+, rest, and call me in the morning. Be sure and pay my secretary on the way out.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
yea, ive been sleeping, drinking a whole lot of orange juice. like tons of it. i have the mucinex DM and the nasal spray. i just hate being sick at work. i got a new tool chest for the basemnt and i wanted to re do my shop so i could have a nice area to work. i started to clean it but i just felt crappy. probably would of even rode to. i hate being sick.

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
be careful of the nasal spray you use.It can bring on rebound congestion.I use PONARIS nose drops.I had to special order it from walgreens.

allthingsdirt

Jun 6, 2007
Go easy on the nasal spray. I just got over a 3 week cold and I over-used the nasal spray to the point where I was constantly getting a bloody nose.

Try an extremely hot shower to help with the nasal congestion instead.

Have fun.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
I like Theraflu. Works best of all I've used.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I just got over a pretty wicked cold that turned into a sinus infection. I used Afrin 12 hour spray. That stuff opened my nasal passages right up.

At one point during my illness I was using Afrin for the congestion, Robitussin for the cough, Advil for the headache...and antibiotics for the infection. But, three weeks later I'm FINALLY better. If you like them, take a couple of the Halls Vitamin C drops a day and try to take a multivitamin a day to boost your immunity. Make sure you eat (healthy food!) like chicken soup and sandwiches. It helps!

After you get better continue to use a cool-mist humidifer in your bedroom at night. It makes a huge difference this time of year when you have to run the heat and everything is so dry. I forgot to turn it on last night and Rooster and I both noticed the difference when we woke up this morning. Also, continue to use a saline nasal mist. Try at least a couple of times a week.

I did a lot of research after my last sinus infection. If you don't keep your sinuses and nasal passage moisturized it is unable to defend itself against viruses and eventually infection. Moisture is key, and because the saline spray is nothing more than salt water really, it doesn't hurt to use every day a couple of times a day. Just make sure you rinse the nozzle under really hot water to keep it clean!

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
vicks vapor rub+ vitamin c +echinecia(sp)
they gave me mucinex in hospital for the congestion for my broken ribs(i caught pneumonia) worked wonders

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
Get some Tussionex(sp?) with Codine and sleeeeeep it away.

I have been sick lately with a bad cold/cough/congestion and that stuff makes me pass out. It works wonders when youre forced to get 8-10 hours of sleep.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
The Afrin spray works really well but be careful not to use it too much….as was stressed above. Most doctors are now saying to stay away from things like psuedoephedrine (decongestant) and use a Claritin type option (antihistamine?) instead, although I am not sure why. It seems like they both have their uses.

Sadly, you really only have two options with a cold:

1. Use every OTC drug available to treat your symptoms, eat right, drink lots of fluids, and get plenty of rest. You will be over it in about two weeks.

2. Do nothing. You will be over it in about two weeks.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
nasonex nasal spray helps, $80 dollars a bottle though, and you have to have a doctors prescribtion. good luck, i just finished up a case of sinusitus.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
BadgerMan said:
Sadly, you really only have two options with a cold:

1. Use every OTC drug available to treat your symptoms, eat right, drink lots of fluids, and get plenty of rest. You will be over it in about two weeks.

2. Do nothing. You will be over it in about two weeks.

LOL But you are so right. Unfortunately for me it turned into sinusitis.

I take every OTC drug available because I can't stand the feeling of not being able to breathe through my nose! And the coughing is sooooo annoying.

Codeine is really a beautiful thing though. I took that at night and slept great - until I woke at 2 a.m. with more coughing, took it again, and back to snoozeville I went.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Overdosing helps too. :) But that's just me. I've always wanted to go beyond what's expected. LOL

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
thats for all the help. yea, ive been sleeping and drinking alot of orange juice and im trying not to drink soda. just water and orange juice. i have a really really bad soda habit. im gonna try to cut down on it and eat healthier. i didnt know that about the nasal passage ways needing to be moist. i do you have a humitifier. ill have to use it. thats for all the help. maybe i will ride this weekend.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Sparky,

Broken ribs suck. Sometimes just not breathing deep while in pain can get you on the way to pneumonia.

Hot steamy showers work wonders for me. Just breath deep and cough all that crap out. You get a really good nose dump too.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Clear you nasal passages then exercise to keep the blood flowing for the stuffy head. Sounds crazy doesn't it? I played for close to 15 years in a working band that I did a lot of vocals in. Everyone knows you can't sing with a stopped up head. If my nose was ever stuffy before a gig I would use a hand held massager on my head, sinus passages, and finally my nose. As soon as I hit my nose I would start sneezing like crazy which in turn cleared the mucous out and let me sing as well as I ever did.

My lead singer suffered from chronic sinusitis and lived on a diet of medication until he started using my method for relief. He too thought I was crazy but it has always done the trick. I asked my doctor about it and he just smiled and said "I suppose it could work". If it ever felt like my condition was worsening I would head to the doc for a steroid shot (max twice a year but very rare I needed to that extreme) and was good to go.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
When I had pnemonia a few years back my doc suggested holding my head over a pot of boiling water and breathing in deep. It really worked and I do it now when ever I'm stuffed up. If you can stand those menthol cough drops, put one in the water too.

It's works faster then a vaporizer or a hot shower.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I had chronic sinusitis for years. After the last round of anti-biotics I had a CT scan and my sinus cavities were still full of fluid so they recommended a Bilateral Ethmoidectomy
Maxillary Antrostomy which I had on the 15th.

It wasn't that bad and I notice a difference already. I won't know for months how it really worked out but the procedure was done with an endoscope (FESS) and didn't seem too bad. If it wasn't for the viral infection I got afterwards I think I would have been riding this past weekend.

Doc already cleared me for riding as soon as my infection is gone as long as I wear a dust mask for the first few weeks.

Ivan

Top Bottom