Reno/moon rocks report

Discussion in 'Who to Ride With, Where to Ride & Ride Reports' started by chuck_h, Feb 15, 2002.

1. chuck_h

chuck_h Rookie DRN Member

Just returned from riding at Moon Rocks and met some of you people who gave me the directions to find you - (Blame them).
    Went for a loop with a group of about 15 to 20 of the early arrivals. Earlier in the day crossed paths with several others.
    Ride Report ----
    Recent rains have dropped the dust level down considerably and added some beneficial moisture for traction. Snow melted last week and area is about as good as it will get.
    Chilly today - 'cept when the sun came out - then it was almost perfect. Great Day for riding and looks like the folks will be having a good time. If the number of wheelies I saw upon leaving the staging area is any indication of "fun" then LOTS of folks were having fun. As my friend and I left - several riders were doing some hill climbing and ripping down some dirt roads. Single track sections were grand - though a few folks were dragging after there first few miles in the whoops. This area is Whoop City, so better work out on the rowing machine prior to riding at Moon Rocks. Actually - some guy was out in a Hummer all week, knocking down the big bumps on the roads, so the conditions out there are pretty close to perfect. Chance of light showers today, tomorrow and Sunday - which will knock the remaining dust down a tad.
    Hope to meet more of you all on Saturday.

2. chblock

chblock Rookie DRN Member

Hey, this is my first post. Man this is a big Forum. I'm going to Moon Rocks tomorrow. That's a local riding area for me. I live only 20 miles from there. Too bad the weather isn't a little better though. :silly:
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2002
  3. zio

zio Mr. Atlas

Holy Smokes, Moonrocks ROCK! Reno Report

Oh My Gosh! What an awesome trip. So much to say, gonna be hard to get it all in right. Am I really the first one to light it up?

But first and foremost... I am NOT a CHICK! Anyone who ever wondered, I scratch & shift like the rest of you. I swing the right way, I buy my underwear in packs of three, I know what a ground-rule double is, I burp, I fart, I have a goatee. ;) Actually, it was kinda funny when people asked who I was & I paused, weighed the pros & cons of actually saying who I was & finally blurted out "Zio". So, let's recap- I got sticks & berries, I use 'em the right way.

Second- FarmerJohn rocks. Thanks again for letting me borrow the CR250. Get used to it, I'll be wearing out that phrase for a while. It really meant a lot to me. One day I hope to do the same for someone else. BTW- for anyone wondering it ain't no stock '97 CR250. Trust me, it's one of the sweetest bikes I've ridden. I don't go too fast, I'm not very smooth, but that bike sure helped me step it up a notch when the time came. Light years ahead of my last CR. Sure you don't wanna sell it?

The riding was awesome. Al Rocher couldn't have predicted better riding conditions. It rained for us Friday night, then snowed Saturday night. Strick wasn't kidding- it doesn't get any better than that. Moonrocks has a little of everything for everyone, IMO. I didn't hear anyone complaining once. Tight single track (so I was told), fire roads, miles and miles of whoops (ouch!), hillclimbs, little moto-tracks, easy, hard, intermediate, stuffed animals, you name it.

Strick- thanks for taking me on the loop one-on-one. I needed it, I hadn't yet really felt comfortable with riding or meeting any of the DRN'ers & it helped me break out.

Endoqwest- Kelly (guy with the GasGas) wants me to say thanks for him for letting him ride the 520. That's all we talked about on the way home, and he felt bad he didn't remember to say thanks before we left. And you & everyone else were right- he's 520 bound. BTW- why do they call you Dopey?

CPTJack- the downhill get off I had right in front of you, where I was going balls-out you've never seen anyone go that fast- in case you forgot I just wanted you to remember thats how it happened.

GSR- Smokey Bear says only you can prevent eyebrow fires :eek:

Kiwi- I was relieved to hear your accent. But I was expecting a big furry beard. Otherwise, you're the only one who pretty much met my expectations. And though I wasn't even close to making it into the top half of the talent pool, I'm pretty sure I was faster than you all weekend!

I'm glad to have finally met some of you. It was getting old, just doing the internet thing. Now I have some real-life faces & experiences. BigLou, I'll meet you soon. Aimee says you're a kook, but I wanna see for myself.:p Oh, and Thumbs doesn't look Italian.... He is short, tho :p

Great ride, everyone. Pics will be up soon!
  4. Strick

Strick Lifetime Sponsor

Conditions

Were you 2 guys at someplace other than where I was?? Conditions, try absolutely perfect!!!. I can't wait to read the concensus on conditions from the visitors.
  5. chuck_h

chuck_h Rookie DRN Member

moon rocks

I said "almost" perfect only because it was a little chilly. Thought Saturday was even better. Tried to post an update on Saturday but something happened and it didn't go through. The little rain on Friday night made the dirt PERFECT. Practically zero dust and when the sun was out - it WAS perfect.
    Didn't go out there Sunday - as it wasn't so pretty, then.
    Great event - looks like everyone had a blast.
    The pora-potties were a nice touch, too. :eek:
  6. FireLily

FireLily Lifetime Sponsor

Thank you, Strick! Thank you all!

Wow, I'm back home now and still excited from the Moon Rocks ride up in Reno!

Moon Rocks was awesome. The condition was perfect, especially on Sunday. Since we were the first riders who got there on Sunday morning, we had a chance to ride on the SNOW! Too bad my fingers got so cold (I didn't have cold weather gloves yet) that I had to stop riding after half an hour. But then when other people started arriving, the sun came out and it got warm.

The dinners with all the riders (how many?) were great. I loved the steak and the service at Outback. Whoever chose that restaurant (Ellen?), good choice!

Thank you all for having me and riding with me. I had such a great time in last three days. That was a great American adventure for me. I learned a lot in those group rides. And the great thing is that I feel that my riding skills have improved over the weekend.

Strick and Mimi, thank you for all the work you have done for us.

Mini
    :)
  7. zio

zio Mr. Atlas

[Oops- didn't see this thread already started, someone can delete my other thread]

Oh My Gosh! What an awesome trip. So much to say, gonna be hard to get it all in right. Am I really the first one to light it up?

But first and foremost... I am NOT a CHICK! Anyone who ever wondered, I scratch & shift like the rest of you. I swing the right way, I buy my underwear in packs of three, I know what a ground-rule double is, I burp, I fart, I have a goatee. Actually, it was kinda funny when people asked who I was & I paused, weighed the pros & cons of actually saying who I was & finally blurted out "Zio". So, let's recap- I got sticks & berries, I use 'em the right way.

Second- FarmerJohn rocks. Thanks again for letting me borrow the CR250. Get used to it, I'll be wearing out that phrase for a while. It really meant a lot to me. One day I hope to do the same for someone else. BTW- for anyone wondering it ain't no stock '97 CR250. Trust me, it's one of the sweetest bikes I've ridden. I don't go too fast, I'm not very smooth, but that bike sure helped me step it up a notch when the time came. Light years ahead of my last CR. Sure you don't wanna sell it?

The riding was awesome. Al Rocher couldn't have predicted better riding conditions. It rained for us Friday night, then snowed Saturday night. Strick wasn't kidding- it doesn't get any better than that. Moonrocks has a little of everything for everyone, IMO. I didn't hear anyone complaining once. Tight single track (so I was told), fire roads, miles and miles of whoops (ouch!), hillclimbs, little moto-tracks, easy, hard, intermediate, stuffed animals, you name it.

Strick- thanks for taking me on the loop one-on-one. I needed it, I hadn't yet really felt comfortable with riding or meeting any of the DRN'ers & it helped me break out.

Endoqwest- Kelly (guy with the GasGas) wants me to say thanks for him for letting him ride the 520. That's all we talked about on the way home, and he felt bad he didn't remember to say thanks before we left. And you & everyone else were right- he's 520 bound. BTW- why do they call you Dopey?

CPTJack- the downhill get off I had right in front of you, where I was going balls-out you've never seen anyone go that fast- in case you forgot I just wanted you to remember thats how it happened.

GSR- Smokey Bear says only you can prevent eyebrow fires

Kiwi- I was relieved to hear your accent. But I was expecting a big furry beard. Otherwise, you're the only one who pretty much met my expectations. And though I wasn't even close to making it into the top half of the talent pool, I'm pretty sure I was faster than you all weekend!

I'm glad to have finally met some of you. It was getting old, just doing the internet thing. Now I have some real-life faces & experiences. BigLou, I'll meet you soon. Aimee says you're a kook, but I wanna see for myself. Oh, and Thumbs doesn't look Italian.... He is short, tho

Great ride, everyone. Pics will be up soon!
  8. NVR FNSH

NVR FNSH Subscriber

I still think you're a chick:p I asked several times where/who you were and each time I got the same answer - "Zio's in the bathroom - be out in a minute"

Hope to meet you next time,

Brian
  9. scandi

scandi Rookie DRN Member

Perfect Riding

We came over the hill from Sacramento and the conditions could not have been better! Sunday was incredible with fresh wet dirt and some trails covered in snow.

Thanks to the locals Vince, Steve and Miles for showing us the trails and providing storage for the bikes. The hospitality was incredible and much appreciated.

We will be back in March before the weather heats up and will try to repay the hospitality. :cool:
  10. Pegasus

Pegasus Subscriber

What can I say...Moonrocks rocked !!

After three days of awsome company and perfect conditions it was hard to leave. As we were loading up ... sun coming through the clouds..I could have easily turned toward Moonrocks and riden one more day..What an Awesome dirtbike playground..And only made better by all you DRN folks..Big Grin !!

Strick & Mimi ..thanks for your smiles as we invaded your garage for three days. Also for the great maps !!! You put much time into planning and it showed.. Thank your local buddies too ..Rick was a great fearless leader !
  11. zmr

zmr Rookie DRN Member

A few Pix...to immortalize...

...some of you at MoonRocks may know me as Marshal on the WR400F...

Pegasus and I had a Great Time!!! Great conditions!!! And a Great Host-Strick & Mimi...

You can view some pix of the action at:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/morem7/l...=/Reno-MoonRocks+DRN+Feb+2002&.src=ph&.view=t

OR, if that does not work...

http://photos.yahoo.com/morem7

and then click on the "Reno-Moonrocks"... link...

Please let me know if you have any trouble viewing the pix. This
    is the 1st time I have used the photos feature at Yahoo and may have
    not got everything shipshape yet...

PS: We have not gone thru and named many of the pix yet, if so inclined
    let me know which one(s) and your suggestion...

PSPS: For those looking to see the upsidedown 520 in the MoonRocks, sorry
    but I let you down. My trusty camera would not kickstart that early
    in the morning, but I think that a certain someone will come thru
    soon. Now everyone there knows how Bonehead got his name...
    Yes-Rider and Bike survived just fine-rode the whole day and
    Kicked my butt as usual...
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2002
  12. chblock

chblock Rookie DRN Member

Hey guys;

I rode up to Moon Rocks from my house on my XR650 Saturday. The off-roading up and back is really fun from where I live in Spanish Springs (20 dirt miles to Moon Rocks). I'm fairly new to the Reno area and coming from coastal California, I feel like I've moved to dirt bikers paradise. I didn't have an off-road bike for several years when I moved here. I took one look around and just had to get one. I ride around the Moon Rocks area a lot especially in the colder months when everything else is snowed out. The ride up to Moon Rocks from my house is one of the first ones I did when I got my bike. I usually see only a few bikers out there. It was amuzing to see that huge crowd. I didn't get a chance to meet anyone though...maybe next time.

The conditions were good and the damp dirt was really nice, but the weather gets a lot nicer even this time of year. Personally, I like it better in early spring when it's warmer and still damp enough to keep the dust down. After looking at the pics, I see that some of you were braving the snow on top of Dogskin. I have to admit, you are better men that me! Went out shopping for furniture Sunday and it was raining/snowing pretty good. I was thinking about you guys out there in that weather.

I hooked up with the Dust Devils Motorcycle Club shortly after I moved to Reno. They do an annual 2 day dual sport ride in the area. This year, part of the course runs over Dogskin Mountain (the big one just West of the Moon Rocks where everyone was parked). It also has an "easy way" split for less advanced riders that runs along the base of the mountain. I'll post a notice here regarding the ride for anyone that may be interested once planning is complete and the website fully updated. The website is http://www.dustdevilsmc.com, but not all of the info has been posted yet.

Well, glad to have seen the event and look forward to attending the next one.

- Craig
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2002
  13. CSL

CSL Rookie DRN Member

Strick, you knocked another one right out of the park! Awesome organization, awesome riding, awesome conditions, awesome company! :cool: I've got some pics to post if there is a common area for posting them.

Buddy and Mini, thanks again so much for helping us out with transportation!! :)

MCD and son, I've got some action shots of you guys defying gravity. :p Send me your email address and I'll forward them on.

I really hope this continues to be an annual event! That was without doubt the best riding I've ever done in February!
  14. fremontguy

fremontguy Lifetime Sponsor

The Reno ride keeps getting better every year! Started off Friday riding singletrack / sidehill stuff to the top of ridge in photo, with Ricky1 and MrWr. Saturday rode similar stuff with big group, then on accidental tour with Thumbs,CptJack,Zio. Sunday after rain and snow left perfect conditions, went on most awesome ride to the southwest corner with AngryJim and Kelly. Found lots of new(to me) washs, singletrack,and hills. Had fun riding with the girls also, GSR, Kali and others. Best Feb. riding I have found. Looking forward to more Nev. rides. Where was the stinky pig?

Attached Files:

15. NVR FNSH

NVR FNSH Subscriber

All I can say is - "THANKS". Stick, Mimi, Bobby, Ricky1, Team Home Depot et al - you guys are awesome:aj: (let me guess who this smilie is named after....) Strick whatever connection you have with the dirt bike weather gods don't let it lapse - whatever you did worked.

Hope to see most of you at Downieville sometime in the spring;)

Brian
  16. Strick

Strick Lifetime Sponsor

Brian, I am really going to make more of the CA rides this year. The one I did last year at Elkins Flat was a lot of fun.

Yes, the weather connection worked well this year.

I REALLY want to say a BIG THANK YOU to Ricky1, McD, and his son Jordan, for all their help with course marking as well as tour guides. I also want to thank RAZ (Barry) for his help leading the advance group on Saturday you guys ROCK!!! :aj:

Strick
  17. bbbom

bbbom Subscriber

Glad it was another great event, not surprising knowing the location and the hosts! Wish we could have made it :whiner: We will next year!!!:cool:

Did anyone kiss Karl's rock for him? :p
  18. NVR FNSH

NVR FNSH Subscriber

Not that I saw..... a couple of close calls though:)

Brian
  19. FireLily

FireLily Lifetime Sponsor

Great photos, zmr!

The photo of a KTM standing up in the sky is great!
  20. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Sponsoring Member

The moon rocks ride was once again the most fun a person can have with ones clothes on. Friday night dinner was greatfood and great company. Saturday was great riding. We (dirty dave, brian and jimmy) got seperated from the intermediate group and ended up trying to cross a small:silly:snow field.We spent the next two hours pushing the bikes through 18"-24"of snow back to the 'dry side'. When we finally got back to the van our day was done.
    Sunday started well, at least the first mile or so...:mad: For all who rushed to pick up the husky and me out of the dirt...Thanks! I still have no idea what caused the crash but by the way my body feels right now, I know it was worthy of ESPN sports bloopers.
    Thanks again to Strick,Mimi and all the Reno crowd for another outstanding event. As usual the camera stayed safely in the van for the whole trip so I can't add to the visuals. But...(in my best 'arnold' voice) "We'll Be Back!"