Pegasus

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
GSR..
Talk about shredding..seems like on Briancs loop I turned around a couple of times to see where everyone was and almost in my pocket was a "Jolly Green Giant" with ponytail flying and Big Grin !!

Kiwi..
You were truley the one armed ambasador of good will...always a smile...Bring your new friend to Oregon and we'll teach her to ride She can ride my shortie bike!:D

Brianc..Well now that you've been out of Kansas (Phoenex) Do you feel there is no place like home ?:) You hung in ther like a champ...and always there to lend a hand ..thanks !

CJ.. next time Ill catch you on the whoops...And I will make that climb..A few more tries and I might have had it..NOT !!.But didnt we have fun trying !!!

Susan& E-ticket,Buddy& Mini...What a blast..you guys always up for a ride..
I had so much fun !!!! ride ride ride...you guys are tough !

Dave... thanks for going on the goat trail with us,always good to have you there..Helps me " keep both wheels turning" Helmet cam should be pretty funny OMG !

E-mail - wcrdance@internetcds.net...Always up for a ride !!

Last edited:

Dirtygirly

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2000
Well the 13 hour drive down to Reno was definately worth it! Riding Moonrocks was a blast, just wish I didn't have to come back and go to school. Much more fun to ride in the desert than sit in class. :)

Strick and Mimi thank you so much for letting us store our bikes at your place...and for the directions to get there..even though Ian and I somehow still managed to get lost on the way there.

Ian made me memorize the map to the hospital, I'm glad I didn't have to use it. ;) Yes I like him, and no I'm not trying to kill him by getting him on a motorcycle. :) He had a great time, I think he's hooked on dirtbiking now.

CJ- thanks for letting me ride your pampera, its really sweet! Thanks for the help with my flat tire too.

GSR and Kiwi, thanks for the clutch lever and instalation tips for Ian.

Firecracker has her truck back now, complete with motorcycle and riding gear....and is still bummed she couldn't be there, but was in spirit.

My new truck came in today!...if only it was here 4 days earlier.

So when is the snow going to melt here in Spokane???! I want to go riding again!

Last edited:

desert_racer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 2, 2000
All I can say is WOW....

First thanks to Strick, Mimi & the Reno crew for your hospitality. Reno Rocks... :aj: literally... not that I would know as I was voted one of the biggest whimps in DRN (by people from my own SoCal crew no less) due to wanting to get to bed by 10 on Sat. night.
Heck I just wanted to be able to stay on my bike on Sunday.. :eek:

Originally Posted by angryjim
Best Looking Bike: The guy from SoCal with the 300KTM with really cool graphics.
angryjim - I have to give credit to Mrs. desert_racer for the color coordination on the bike. However I did pick out the grafixs..

Originally Posted by gospeedracer
I’m pretty sure Mxbetsy shouldn’t be allowed out of his wife’s sight not to mention he doesn’t have proper port-a-potty etiquette. It’s quite possible the man is not aware he’s not in college anymore, especially if he’s paired up with Desert_Racer, then you’re just ASKING for trouble!
GSR - Excuse me???? You can kiss my happy immature :moon:... :) just kidding.. you know I luv ya girl...

What can I say. It was worth the 12 hour drive from SoCal to meet and ride with an awesome bunch of DRN's. It didn't matter what level of rider you were there was something there for you and someone to ride with.

Saturday was great ... Did the intermediate ride in the morning led by one of the local hotshot's. We lost track of the ribbon that Strick had put out so he took us on a locals loop instead. It was awesome.. Did some sweet up and downhills and then this section of uphill singletrack along the edge of one of the mountains that led us to a sweet ridgeline that overlooked the valley. I was lucky enough to be one of the first to the top and got to see 3 or 4 dear that were up there grazing.

Saturday afternoon I went on the rock ride that angryjim refered to. It was 45 to 50 miles of pure fun. Talk about some boys that can ride. Have to thank Barry for gettin us home. That boy can flat out fly on that KDX.

Sunday morning we did a short 30 miler led by Strick. It was very cool with more whoops, climbs, singletrack, downhills, crosscounty, flat out fire roads, not to mention a mile or so of singletrack downhill in a foot of snow..:confused: that was a new and exciting experience being from SoCal..

I've never been to a place with such a variety of riding in one area...

Thanks to Kiwi for letting me ride that beast know as the AF500, thanks to Endoquest for letting me ride the 520 (I gotta get me one of those) and thanks to Strick for letting me ride the 400.

Once again it was great to meet and ride with all of the great folks from all over that attended.. can't wait until the next big DRN gathering..

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
HUGE THANKS to Strick and Mimi and all the local folks who marked trails and led rides! This ride ROCKED!!! :aj:

I've been thinking all day about how to put this weekend's ride report into words. The thing is, I just don't know how to relay how much fun I had riding on such great terrain with such WONDERFUL folks! Maybe I'll just relay some random thoughts.

Favorite loop: I think it's known as the "alternate intermediate loop." It's the one that starts with whoops, turns uphill into a steep side-slip with rocky sections, and ends in a big downhill. Rode it first with Pegasus, The Ant, E-Ticket, and a bunch of folks. Didn't make a clean run of the downhill so Pegasus led a second trip out the next day with the same folks plus Dave, Mini, and Brianc. STILL didn't make a clean run of the downhill even with Dave's coaching (thanks!), but had a BLAST with all the folks! Also discovered that E-Ticket is actually McGuiver in disguise when it comes to fixing bikes with duct tape!

Favorite riding companions: EVERYBODY! I have to admit, though, that it was incredibly comforable to ride with the other women! There were so many of us this year that we could almost be considered as a "pack!"

Favorite bike swaps: 'Got to try some cool bikes! Those BBR Specials have some GREAT low end for the trails (thanks Pegasus and The Ant). The KTM200 had some sic power for sure (thanks Scourge of the Internet). The YZ80 was quite a nice size (thanks Mimi). However, I had a slight revelation whenever DirtyGirl swapped with me for a bit. That KX100 felt reeeaaaaally gooood in the whoops (thanks DirtyGirl)!

Coolest thing about riding in the desert: The feeling you get whenever your back tire swerves out as you put on the throttle going around the corner in deep sand. Ooooo.

The coolest thing about the Reno Spodefest: Meeting and riding with all of ya'll!!! :) :) :)

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Man, I've got such twisted emotions about Reno - on one hand it was great hanging out and BSing with everyone and on the other it sucked to not ride. I saw the Dr. today and only 6 more weeks, at least I got rid of the PITA sling!

Strick, Mimi, other organizers - it's already been said but, you guys rock!

Click here for photos

Can't put names to all the photos so help me please.

Last edited:

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Can't put names to all the photos so help me please.
I Know who that # 768 belongs to. What a pretty bike.:cool:

What a cool ride. The weather was perfect. Me and Bluethumper got there thursday and rode thursday afternoon for a couple hours. Ricky1 was the only other rider out there. The riding was good. On friday morning we met GSR, TTRguy and thumbs for breakfast at the Peppermill buffet. Breakfast was awsome (even with the special effects). Fridays ride was pretty good with Strick leading a few loops. But Saturday was riding Heaven. For the people who were there and do not ride in the desert much it does not get any better than it was, it was awsome.... Wet desert = traction.... The first loop I went out on was with the "advanced" riders. The group was awsome and Bobby set a blazing pace right from the get go. There were 2 distinct types of riders in that group. Advanced "racers" and advanced "trail riders". I had planned on riding with the intermediate riders on a short loop and at the last second I switched to the advanced group. About 1/2 way into the ride I was low on gas (left with 1/2 a tank) Anyway I only got about 20 miles in on the 35 mile loop. But all in all it was a blast.. Watching and participating in the drag races up the whooped out hill was fun also. There was no shortage of talent this year. It was great seeing everyone again from last year and meeting a bunch of new people. Next year will be better. I see this thing getting huge. Strick - Thanks for all. You are a class act and all round great guy. Thanks to Ricky1, Bobby and Barry. And thanks to everyone that made it this year. Im already thinking about next year.

And for the record there were only a few whoops.... I can see that if you ride in the woods alot that you thought it was whooped out. But for us desert guys it is an awsome riding area with few whoops......

Wow what fun..................

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Well where do I start? First I'd like to thank Strick, Mimi, Bobby and all the other locals for all the work, hospitality and FIRST CLASS WEATHER/RIDING CONDITIONS! Absolutely perfect. I would also like to apologize to the Mexican restaraunt, Godfathers and The Outback :) Especially Godfathers hehehe. After riding 3 days, there were too many loops to detail but I am very surprised that the long snowy downhill hasn't been talked about more, I know that out of around 18 riders it had to have caused at LEAST 10 getoffs with a few DRN'rs choosing to display their style more than once. And the sand washes that followed were absolutey the bomb. Thumbs - I had way too much fun drag racing you up the whooped up hill and traveling with you, Rex - I meant to line up with you a couple more times since I missed a shift on GSR's bike :( I am sure you would have still won but I think it would have been close. Several of you were supposed to remind me to go back to the steep sandy downhill to try and climb it but I guess we all forgot in the midst of all the fun we were having. MxBetsy - I have said it before and I'll say it again.....Damn you can ride boy! The only DRN'r that I would even think about betting on against BusterWho. (In the woods, and I would ONLY think about it, but still). GSR continues to amaze me with her attack attitude and increase in skills in such a short time. She is supposed to be riding in Farmer Johns clubs family enduro in a couple of weeks but unfortunately I will miss it :( NVRFinish - Brian, you are the best man. Too bad we can't get together more. You will never know how much I appreciate another skilled rider who is willing to ride sweep. Great seeing you and visiting again. A big thanks to Endoquest for letting me ride the 520. It was great meeting you and bonehead and hanging out. You guys are awesome in every way. The idaho boys were there usual crackups and as fast as ever. ZIO, man you gotta save some of those one-liners for 'in person' instead of just the net :) I have to say that I was most impressed with all the female riders, the ones I knew before are all improving so fast and the new ones this year rocked. Thanks again Strick and everybody that I got to meet and ride with. My only regret is that I couldn't meet everyone and visit more. Awesome weekend. Anyone from SoCal notice the big green rolling hills with crevices/canyons on the way home :) Damn that looked like fun didn't it!

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by TTRGuy
Anyone from SoCal notice the big green rolling hills with crevices/canyons on the way home :) Damn that looked like fun didn't it!

Would that be the west side of I-5 around Wesley? Nope, never noticed.

Brian

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Okay, I finally got the pics loaded to my photo page. Not as many as last year. I was having too much fun to remember to take pictures!

Reno 2000 Pictures

Okie created a gallery for pictures from this ride so post any pics there if you can. I don't know how to compress my pictures so I didn't post mine there. :whiner:

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
ZIO ( I thought you were a girl )

I am NOT a CHICK!
Well, everything you said ( burp, fart, goatee) chicks do those things too.
The REAL question is 'Can you write your name in the snow peeing?'
That is what separates the men from the girls.:)

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I can't remember who in the Mexican restaurant came up to Zio and said, I thought you were a chick, E-ticket?

Zio, I never thought you were a chick. And the way you shook my hand (KUNG FOO GRIP) after that guy said that, I knew you were actually a strong representative of the males species. My hand still hurts.

I did notice a twinkle in your eye when we stopped at the pig though;) :mad:

Last edited:

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Hi everyone! Thanks a mil to Strick and Mimi. Great to meet some new friends. TTR, GSR, MXBundy, Desertracer and many others. Good ridin' and good partyin'. I'm STILL off-line (using a friends computer right now) and won't be up for another week. If I could, I would write one of my long ride reports but, alas, technology has thwarted me. Once I get back to cyberworld I'll hook up with a bunch of PMs and posts.
I had a GREAT time, the riding exceded my expectations and the conditions made for some excellent dicing. This project once again has proven that the off-road community is full of good will and kind hearted people, thank you.

The Tortoise

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
DougM is now "The Tortoise"

Who wears an armour shell on his back
Carry's water in a pack
Usually rides in the back
Slower than a speeding snail
and reads his Email
Well the Tortoise, of course.

I enjoyed meeting you all. Strick thanks for the hard work you did. Will be intouch to ride with you soon.

The Tortoise

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
I could use a little help trying to figure out what happened on sunday... I honostly have no recollection of the crash. I just remember cruising through the whoops and then someone asking if I was alright and helping me up. If this wasn't a family site I'd send pics of the bruises. I may have a bruised/cracked rib to boot... I've been riding a lot of years and never had a 'get-off' like that and not remember the cause... :mad: It rang my bell but good!
Through my glazed eyeballs it looked like a NASCAR pit with several people moving levers back into position, knocking dirt off me and the bike and holding me up 'till I got my bearings back... Thanks again to all!

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by TTRGuy
ZIO, man you gotta save some of those one-liners for 'in person' instead of just the net

Interpretation if we had been on a date: Zio, well, I thought you were cool on the phone, but in person... well... you're just not my type!

Gee, thanks. You can forget me ever coming to rummage through your tool bucket again. And your duct tape sucked!:moon: J/K- really, you just need a few beers in person, then I'll look better.;) I was really looking forward to beer at the pizza place, but we got hung up. Next year, I promise I'll break out of my shell.

Hey BrianC- it's my new screen name:

Attachments

• zioman.gif
    zioman.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 322

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Keep those pictures coming . . . I wish I had been there. Ran into some car trouble along the way. I really, really hate that I didn't go. I'm glad you all had fun. Maybe I'll get to do Dirtweek this year.

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
Thanks to everyone that helped make this a fantastic weekend!

Thanks to everyone for making my wife and kids feel welcome and taking the time to help my wife try to learn to ride.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I just re-read through a few pages of the original thread. How funny, all the people I talked to online and didn't even meet. You guys gotta understand (I think GSR does)- I'm actually pretty shy in person. And my memory is atrocious. Seriously- I forget things faster than an Enron CEO on trial.

BrianC- did I meet you in Reno?

I just figured out that the dude on the kTm with the Skin graphics is desert_racer. Hey man, who was that you were with ont he kTm 200?

Fremontguy- Now I know who you are. The guy on the older kTm that was with me, Thumbs, CPTJack after losing the fast group?

Thumbs, sorry I didn't hang out with you more. That was funny, how in the old Reno thread you talked about being a slow Italian on the trails with me:silly: I grabbed a shot of you scooting up the hillclimb to help out the kid but it didn't turn out. That was pretty cool of you. Whose kid was that anyway?

Geeze, I shoulda said nope to dope.:whiner:

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Zio - that was BrianC's kid Jeremy, he was hell on wheels getting up the middle line on the XR80 and the side line on the XR50. He was all smiles all day, bet he was a happy camper on the way home.

The Tortoise

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Zio,

That was probably my kid. Both had trouble with hill at parking area. I remember I was not the first to my son when he fell once. A nice person was helping my son out so it was probably my son.

Both my 6 year old son Trevor and 8 year old Tiger made it up the steeper section eventually.

By the way, I'm the one at the Fri dinner who said I thought you were a girl (Zio being your name) and on Sat you told me in private that you were a She Male, so now I know who and what you are. I am the bald tall guy with beard and all male parts. I ride a 300EXC KTM. I'm not prejudice so if you want you can borrow one of my bikes (my 300EXC or my wifes TTR250) and join me on some rides. We live in Lafayette (near Walnut Creek) and ride all over (dirt bikes that is). HA HA HA

For the record (I don't want to piss anyone off) Zio is a nice guy. He did say to me he is a She Male, but HE WAS JOKING, I believe. Now that he wrote his name while taking a leak we know that he is all male.

Send me your personal Email Zio and I will let you know when we ride and you can join us. Yes, you can borrow a bike, no problem.

doug
spamoore@attbi.com
925 963-8451 cell

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Man, I shoulda stayed home:silly: Thanks, Doug. You almost cleared me!:D

That's a really cool offer, hopefully I won't have to take it up too often. Zia saw how thrilled I was when I got home, and I imagine I'll have me a new scoot in the garage soon enough. You can pm me any time. I don't give out my e-mail addy in public here, it'd reveal what I do for a living & then I'd be in for it.

Top Bottom