Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
125sx. Anyone ever replace top-end without taking the head off. Not being lazy but if it's not necessary why do it?

mopowa

Dec 6, 2000
Hey Paul...I mean Jeff... I do it all the time. As for a sx, Ive read somewhere about checking the deck height(head off) and this being crucial. Personally I wouldnt worry about it as long as you use a stock KTM base gasket.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by mopowa
Hey Paul...I mean Jeff...

You're makin me laugh

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Z-dimension, X-dimension - can not be set unless you remove the head.

Having said that, if you can mic the stock base gasket, and purchase the same thickness, then the X-dimension should be O.K. (assumption here). If your power valve is clean and not in need of servicing (and not hitting the piston), then I guess the Z-dimension doesn't need to be checked.

Two buddies of mine just pulled the jug and popped in new pistons and it worked fine on 380's, but I wouldn't (and don't), do it that way.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Just the jug. BUT, you HAVE to pop off the head to set the Z-dimension, which is mandatory when R&R the power valve.

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
Top End replacement...

You CAN do that, but be careful. The last time I tried it (on a YZ 125)...when I removed the cylinder, the extra suction (the head was still on) sucked coolant into the oddest places. I spent an entire Saturday with my bike upside down trying to get coolant out of it. I'll never do it that way again!
:mad:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Be careful Tiger. KTM power valve requires measurement when being set(with the head off). If you service that power valve. You MUST remove the head.

mcracer

Jul 14, 2001
If you do not remove the head, be sure to measure the cylinder and inspect for plating coming off around the edges of the ports.

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
i would say that if your'e replacing the piston then you will have to re-check the deck height. to get 2 pistons the exact same height would sound to good to be true. the '02 125's have reusable o-rings like the 250/300/380's but the earlier 125's have an o-ring and a gasket.

Top Bottom