Replacement handlebar clamps?

aggio

Apr 27, 2002
After an encounter with the ground over the weekend I am in need of a new handle bar clamp. Anyone know of a good replacement? Or is OEM the best? I am planning on replacing them both. My Renthal bars stayed straight and the guy riding is bruised, but not bad :whiner: (the tree is hurting….). Any recommendations?

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
What part of the clamp is damaged? Its very common for the clamps to come out of alignment when the bike is crashed but normally you can either twist them back into place and loosen all the bolts (2 on top of each and one below), and reinstall everything.

You might consider a one-piece top clamp. It replaces the two individual tops, making the bars less apt to twist.

David

aggio

Apr 27, 2002
I'm not sure what the technical name for the part is. It is the part that mounts through the rubber mount in the upper triple clamp. I would call it the lower or bottom handle bar clamp/riser. The part that broke is where the 2 screws from the top clamp screw into the lower. After looking it over it seems to me the screw length is way to short especially on the side where the odometer is. I can actually see where it fractured from the inside out. The thread engagement was only 5 mm give or take and that's where it broke (the front tapped hole ). The 2 tapped holes are about 16 mm deep. If the bolt was engaged another 5 mm I don't think it would have broke. What is the stock bolt length supposed to be? Mine is 40 mm, I think it should be 50 mm.

I am already using a one piece clamp, and my bars didn't twist at all.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Maybe the one piece clamp is thicker (probably is aluminum?), so if the original bolts were used, they would be short into the post.

Only aftermarket posts I've seen are related to fat bars.

If you hit hard enough to break the post but the bars are fine, I'd wonder if there wasn't a flaw in the casting in the first place. I've bent a few sets of bars, never have had a problem with the posts themselves.

Don't you hate those jumping trees??

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
You could use an aftermarket KX set up. Something like an Applied Racing bar clamp would work. If you check out their web sit you'll see they sell bar clamp separately from the top triple clamp. They make a number of heights plus they are offset to push the bars further forward on the bike. I have a set for my KDX and they work great. Just make sure you order a set for rubber mounted clamps. You can get clamps to mount fat or standard bars.

You might consider picking up stiffer rubber cones as the same time.

David

aggio

Apr 27, 2002
After further evaluation I've fond that the stack up off the 1 piece clamp, the odometer bracket and the spacer I used made the engagement of the bolt what it was. Go figure the bolt didn't grow.... OEM bolts are 30 mm and 35mm for the OD side.
Anyone using a 1 piece clamp? In my case I need to mount the OD bracket with some spacers, I'll need longer bolts.

David
How do you mount your odometer? If the bars are offset does the OD hit the headlight/number plate? I did check out Applieds web site. I am going to give them a call. The guys were I get most of my parts said they couldn't find them. I'll have to let them know about Applied....

Top Bottom