Replacing left side crank seal? 96cr250

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
I neglected to check under the left side crank case cover and a load or dirt and debries got in :ohmy: . This seems to have eaten the seal a bit, now it leaks. Ive replaced this seal on a 91cr125 but i dont recall if that had an adjustable stator plate like this bike(96cr250). How should i do this to keep it in the same position, or mark the case where it was as a refrence? Also when installing this seal what is the best way to remove it, before i used this forked screw driver but i dont want to risk scoring the crankshaft. How far do you drive it in, and what should i drive it in w/? I have scockets and bushing drivers. Should i apply some grease to it to help it go in?

cr2504life

May 17, 2004
Im not sure about the timing part, I would problay just mark it. You can screw a couple of wood screws into the seal, just enought so you can pull the seal out. I have a manual for a 97 at home but i can't remember how far its either 1mm or 2mm. I used a deep socket to drive it in.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Bodge said:
How should i do this to keep it in the same position, or mark the case where it was as a refrence? QUOTE]

Bodge.

Scribe a fine line on the plate and also on the case before you loosen the plate. Use this as a reference when you re-install the plate.

The best way is to use a dial indicator in the spark plug hole. If you have a service manual, it should tell you how many mm's before top dead center to set the plate at.

Otherwise, the scribe marks will get you in the ballpark. :cool:

Good luck.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom