Cleric

Aug 14, 2005
I was desert racing this weekend with my '98 YZ250 and realized that i broke my shift lever off but after i further ispection i realized that i didnt just loose the shift lever but cracked it off of the shifting shaft. So now all i have is a little nub of the shifting shaft poking out.

I was wondering how hard is it to replace the shifting shaft? Will i have to split the cases?

How pricy am I looking at?

Thanks to all that can help me

Cleric

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
You just have to pull the left side case/cover. No need to go any further in. Like I said, it's a very easy repair.

You don't even have to drain the oil...just lay the bike on it's side. But maybe it's time for an oil change anyway.

A tip on sidecase gaskets: put a light film of bearing grease on both sides of the gasket and it won't tear when the side case is removed and you can use it again.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
"any more advice or hints while doing this?"

Like I said, it's a very simple repair. If you're not familiar with working on scoots, I'll add a couple things:

Tighten the side case bolts (on re-assembly) like you would on the head of a engine. IE, snug them all, and tighten in a criss-cross patern. And torque to specs if possible. Torque isn't absolutely necessary here, but if you know it and have a torque wrench...do it. (you're going to need a torque wrench with NM or inch pounds on it) If not, be sure to get the bolts snug good but don't overtighten! (again, in a criss-cross patern) They can and do snap if overtightened! Leave the reefmaster in the tool box.

Make sure to replace the o-ring/seal on the shift shaft too. Good luck to you! It's a piece of cake actually.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Okay, I guess it comes from the right side...according to the drawing I viewed. It wouldn't hurt you to do your own research ya know. I'm glad to help you...but I'm also done. Good luck to you.

Since I'm not really familiar with your bike, it's best that you take it from here. Still, it's a pretty simple repair no matter what brand you ride. Just look at the link I provided.

Please see: http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandi...pt_id~392395~model_dept_name~YZ250K1.asp#stay

Last edited:

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
For a vast majority of bikes, you replace the shift shaft from the right side of the engine case. You don't have to split the crank cases, but you have to remove the clutch cover and the intermediate side case that sits between the clutch and right side crankcase. You also need to remove the shifter from the shift shaft on the left side of the bike. You might have to remove the complete clutch assembly, but I'm not sure. If you have to remove the clutch assembly, you'll need a clutch holding tool unless you've got a very good air impact gun. Once you've removed the collar, spring and pawls from the shift shaft, you just pull the shift shaft straight out from the right side. Take the new shift shaft and slide it in from the ride side, and then re-install the parts in the appropriate order. You will also need a new intermediate case gasket and clutch cover gasket. This is a fairly easy and cheap job if you have any mechanical abilities.

You really should invest in an OEM service manual or a Clymer manual. These manuals walk you through the correct steps in the correct order for doing all these kinds of jobs. The Clymer manuals are nice because they give you hints on how to do some tasks that the OEM manual won't show you.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom