Mar 25, 2008
I was wondering if it is ok to reuse main bearings in a 2 stroke after having installed a crank in them and then removed the crank before running of the engine (Wiseco has alot of problems with their cranks, See video on youtube. Search for "Wiseco Crank") The video is not mine but the same problem I had, My crank was rubbing the cases and Wiseco did "Make Good" but I had to remove the crank I had just installed and was wondering if its OK to just put another Crank in "There" I know that installing then removing a crank from these bearings places alot of "Side Load" on the bearings so I figured I'd Better pick the brains of the online community. Yall please let me know what you think.

Thanks, Stuart

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Iffy crank main bearings, like 50 to 60 dollars more? When I remove old bearings, I have no issues using the inner race for pounding. Would I consider re-using them, not even if it was your bike! You could go cheap if you have a bearing distributor close to you, match an american bearing up to it, much cheaper than jap bearings. I would rather use new chinese bearings!!!!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
XXX Adrenaline Spo said:
I never started the engine on these brgs, still what do u think?

IMO, it depends a lot on how they were originally installed and removed. If you used heat and the proper pullers to install and remove the bearings, you should be ok. If you just used the closest available socket and hammer to install them, they are junk. Properly done, the bearings in question should not have had any 'side load' placed on them during the installation and removal process. Only you, knowing how the bearings were installed and removed can answer that question.

If it were me, I would just install new bearings and not worry about it.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Not to mention it's alot easier to install bearings on the crank than it is to remove them.

Mar 25, 2008
Im going to replace them because id rather not worry about them but placing a side load on them during install and removal is almost inevitable even using the proper methods. Installing I froze the brgs and heated the cases then allowed to reach room temp then heated a slug and sat it on the inner races for a few seconds then dropped a frozen crank in and heated the slug again, rested it on the L side inner race and assembled the cases, During dissasembly using a case splitting tool (Automotive Harmonic Ballancer Puller) has to place side load on the brgs, Well thanks for yalls ideas but im gonna replace em anyways.

Stuart

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, check Service Honda for parts prices. They set the standard for Honda OEM prices.

When I rebuilt my '99 a few years ago, an OEM crank from Service was priced about the same as a Wiseco replacement. Some other Honda shops will match Service if you ask.

When I blew up my '99 CR250, the cost per crank bearing was about $30 per side. That was a few years ago, but I'm pretty sure your '01 will use the same bearings.

Top Bottom