Review of Revloc on the Cowbell Enduro Dist 36

The Tortoise

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
This is part of my write up of the Cowbell Enduro two days ago and the Revloc clutch. I am sharing the Revloc part only. If you all want to see the whole thing let me know.

The $1000 for the revloc and $170 for hand brake are the best investment you can do for your bike. I went much faster downhill with way less fear and way more control. I went in and out of turns way more smoothly. I could stop going up on any steep hill and simply give the bike gas and continue. No spinning of tires. No lurching of bike on the climbs. There were a few hill climbs that I needed to stop on because some one crashed or I simply had the confidence to stop and take my time to choose a new line. My bike never stalled once, even when I fell on one hill climb. Who needs the E button with this thing. The revloc is up there with suspension. The only thing that held me back was my skill at turns. Practice, practice, practice. It took me about 50 miles to adapt to the revloc setup. The second 50 miles was a breeze. I could go down a hill in 3rd and then take a turn that required I shift to 1st but left bike in 3rd and let the clutch take up the slack. Kind of like putting your car in drive. I did shift most of the time so I wouldn't slip all the time. But sometimes I just treated myself. Oh, you also use a lot less energy with the revloc. You are not constantly working the clutch. Power is more electric, very smooth.

To make full use of this investment you have to change your riding style. The foot brake is there but don't use it (beginner speak). When going down steep downhills with lots of turns I found I had more control with using just the two brake levers on the handlebars. If my foot got on the foot brake I would end up locking up the rear brake and then sitting on the seat and doing the 3 point dogging downhill. Heck with the two brake levers on the handle bars I was able to (I shouldn't admit this) do the 4 point downhill. This is done by using the front and rear brake with the hands and the right and left feet of your legs. Very safe. (don't I sound like a chicken sh_t).
Seriously, the brakes give you way more control. The clutch makes the bike way smoother.

So I'd say that this is a low cost investment. You don't need the E button with this setup. You can buy a KTM RFS EXC and take off the battery, starter and e button and lighten the bike 20lbs. Once the bike is running it will stay running.

Finally for you MX boys and girls, you can go into a turn and lock up the rear brake for a slide and just turn the throttle and blast out. You can go in on 3rd gear instead of shifting to second, lock the brake (won't stall the engine) and just twist and go out of the turn. The bike will accelerate smoothly. No need to shift from 2nd to 3rd. Saves time and energy.

The "Revloc" Tortoise

PS: I hope this helps some of you. There is some more info but it is long and I can be a "Long Winded" Tortoise :flame:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Thanks!

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Great write up :thumb:
If you get a chance, add the rest.
Still, for me anyway, I can't see coughing up the 1k needed to put one in my bike.

The Tortoise

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
The Tortoise bike is a 2001 KTM 300 EXC. Suspension was done by Aftershocks (I run a 42 spring on one side and a 44 on the other. PDS3 shock spring), Scotts Dampener, Revloc, Dunlop D756 tires, High seat bought at Enduro Eng, Just bought Watchdog 2000 Computer, Tag bars the Team bend. 13 front 52 rear.

I way 190 naked. I weigh 212 with clothes and water (after taking a #1 and #2). Beginner rider - therfore the tortoise.

I hope this helps.

The "Technical" Tortoise

jaliveto

Apr 5, 2002
Can you explain to me the principle behind the revloc. I don't quite understand what it is and what it does. And how it is able to do what it does? Sorry, but I am a bit confused about it.

The Tortoise

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Jaliveto,

The revloc eliminates the need for a clutch. Just shift and ride. At low rpm the bike disengages like you pulled in the clutch lever. As the rpm's increase the clutch engages more and more, by throwing out ball bearings, that wedge on the outer cover and put force on the clutch plates.

doug

Top Bottom