r.eadie

Jul 7, 2002
I have a honda xr650r and ride tight woods and rocky slopes.since there is no way to add an electric start,does anyone have info on the new automatic style clutches that are being sold be revloc?

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Have heard only good things - $1000 or so gets you the auto-clutch

check out http://www.revloc.com/

Do a search here at DRN for revloc, and also check out http://www.thumpertalk.com, and do a search for revloc there as well - some good reviews all round.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Rev-loc FAQ's

Question; What does the Rev-loc cost for my bike?

Answer; The cost for all Rev-loc clutches is $995.00 plus a $300.00 - $600 (depending on the particular model) core charge for the inner hub and outer basket. If you send us your hub and basket you can avoid the core charges. Dealer pricing is available and can be obtained by providing proof of dealership either by phone (303.292.1366) or e-mail at info@revloc.com

Question; How do I order a Rev-loc clutch?

Answer; You can order a clutch by calling 303.292.1366 or via our e-mail address info@reloc.com We will need make, model and year of your bike as well as a shipping address.

Question; What payment methods are required to purchase a Rev-loc clutch?

Answer; We currently accept Visa and Master Card or C.O.D. If you provide the credit card number via e-mail please be sure to include the name on the card and the expiration date

Question; Is installation difficult and will I need to modify my bike in any way?

Answer; Installation is very straight forward and an installation guide is provided with the clutch. If you can remove your standard clutch you can install a Rev-loc clutch. No special tools are required.

Question; Do you offer a clutch for my bike?

Answer; All available clutches are posted on this website. We develop and produce clutches based on demand. If we do not offer a clutch for your bike please let us know if your interested in having one. We compile the lists of e-mail inputs and use this to determine future developments.

Question; Can I adjust the clutch to engage/disengage at an RPM I prefer?

Answer; Yes, the clutch comes from the factory preset to engage/disengage at an RPM that is based on our testing. The engagement/disengagement point, however, can be easily altered using a shim kit provided with the clutch. We strongly recommend that you ride the bike with the factory preset engagement and alter it only after becoming familiar with the feel of the clutch.

Question; Do I still have engine braking with the Rev-loc?

Answer; Yes, the Rev-loc provides engine braking down to idle. Only at idle does the clutch disengage and the engine "freewheels".

Question; What type of riding is the clutch best suited for?

Answer; The Rev-loc works well in all types of riding but is especially suited to the toughest sections (ie; tight, rooted, rutted uphill sections where you would normally have to feather the clutch to clear the section). With the Rev-loc you ignore the clutch and simply concentrate on throttle control. The Rev-loc slips and engages as required. The clutch also allows for for quicker cornering by allowing the rider to brake slide into a corner by locking the rear wheel. Rather than the bike stalling the clutch simply disengages as the wheel locks and then smoothly engages as the brakes are released and the throttle is applied. We have also found that it is possible to exit a corner in a higher gear than normal because the clutch slips briefly as the throttle is applied and then engages automatically as RPM's increase.

Question; How are racing starts best accomplished with the Rev-loc?

Answer; On a non Rev-loc equipped bike a rider typically starts by applying too much throttle/clutch which results in excessive wheelspin. The rider then overcompensates by rolling too far off the throttle and pulling in the clutch which results in the bike coasting or not getting maximum drive. The rider then releases the clutch and applies too much throttle which starts the whole cycle over again. With a Rev-loc equipped bike the rider simply puts the bike in gear and when the gate drops he/she simply concentrates on throttle control, not clutch/throttle coordination.

Question; Can I use the clutch lever on my bike to override the Rev-loc?

Answer; Yes, most riders leave the clutch lever on their bike and use it to override the Rev-loc when they feel the need.

Question? Is engagement of the clutch abrupt?

Answer; Engagement is as smooth or as abrupt as you want it to be. If you roll on the throttle the engagement is incredibly smooth. If you nail the throttle, the clutch will engage immediately.

Question; What is the expected life of the clutch and is there a warrantee?

Answer; We have tested the Rev-loc on a KX500 for 3300 miles and cannot measure any wear on the clutch. The same clutch is now in the third KX500. We expect the Rev-loc to outlast a stock clutch 2 to 1. Rev-loc craftsmanship includes a (1) year warrantee on all Rev-loc parts, excluding fiber and steel clutch plates.

Question: Is there additional maintenance required with the Rev-loc?

Answer; No, in fact you should experience less maintenance since the clutch will experience less wear than a stock clutch.

Question; Does the clutch generate more heat than a stock clutch and will I have to change my oil more often with the Rev-loc?

Answer; The Rev-loc generates less heat than a stock clutch because it slips less than the original stock set-up. The Rev-loc generates 2.5 times the clamping pressure on the clutch pack as the stock springs, therefore unwanted slipping is impossible. It is possible, however, to generate heat by abuse of the clutch. If you are climbing a steep hill and you're two gears higher than you should be, the clutch will slip to avoid stalling the motor. This will naturally generate heat as it would if you did the same with your stock clutch. In addition, all bikes with aluminum clutch plates are replaced with steel plates. This adds durability as well as prevents discoloration of the oil from the aluminum.

Question. What does the Rev-loc weigh and will it increase/decrease flywheel effect?

Answer; The Rev-loc weighs approximately .9 pounds more than a stock clutch therefore flywheel effect will be increased slightly.

Question; When approaching a log is it best to use the clutch lever to override the Rev-loc and rev the engine to loft the front wheel over the log?

Answer; This can certainly be done but we have found what we believe is a better way. If you approach the log slowly the clutch will probably be disengaged. With both hands firmly on the bars, simply blip the throttle while pulling up slightly on the bars. The clutch will engage immediately and the front end will want to come up. With both hands on the bars the front end will come up straight and can be controlled much more easily than if you had two or three fingers on the clutch lever and a marginal grip on the bars.

Question; Do you offer a Rev-loc clutch for street bikes/ATV's/Karts, etc?

Answer; These are all natural markets for the Rev-loc clutch. Unfortunately we are swamped developing and producing clutches for the off-road motorcycle market. Street bikes have been identified as the next logical application fro the Rev-loc and should start to become available later this year.

Question; Is the lever actuated rear brake available for my bike?

Answer; At this time we do not have any production versions of the lever actuated rear brake available. We have done prototype testing and it is definitely a product we will offer, just not at this time. As this product becomes available we will update the website with model availability.

Question; Can I buy a clutch cover that say Rev-loc on it?

Answer; No. We have produced a few of these for promotional purposes only.

Top Bottom