FoofRider

Sep 5, 2000
Has anyone dual sported their KTM RFS? I have a 520 EXC on order, and want to get it street licensed so I can ride some of the thousands of miles of dirt roads around here legally. I don't plan on using it as a street bike - the only pavment it will see is getting to the start of a trail. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had experience with any of the manufactured kits, or if you've done it yourself. I know I could do it a lot cheaper myself, but might opt for the convenience of a manufactured kit. Also, does anyone know the requirements/procedures in Texas for getting it licensed?

------------------

Cappy

Nov 30, 2000
Here in Europe (germany)the RFS EXc come fully strret legal with low/high beam, indicators and horn. I imagin you should be able to order the parts right from KTM or I could possiblly find someone here who has removed the parts and is willing to sell them to you. My dealer could also get the parts for you if they are not available Stateside. As for the EPA thing, well that's another story.

------------------
John Cappel
'01 400 EXC
'01 65 SX
'01 50 PRO SR

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
It is a no-brainer getting it registered in Texas. Did my 300 and WR400.

All you need is a brake lamp, license plate lamp, and a high-low working, plus a mirror and squeeze bulb horn. You are supposed to have a high beam indicator I am told as well, but no-one has checked for mine.

Have to take it to the right place to get it done with no problems. I made the mistake of taking my RXC, a factory street legal DS bike, to the local Harley dealer. They refused to inspect that G-D dirtbike.

Baja Designs will sell you a rugged hi-low switch for the front and banjo bolt switch for the rear. They will also give you some hints on wiring the rear. The front is really easy.

Shoot me an email if I can be of help. A local KTM rider and DRN member (forget his handle, but think it is KTM520) had his 520EXC done by the dealer before he picked it up, inspected there, and the title wen thru as a regular title (no offroad only). I got the WR400's title converted from offroad only to a regular one with just one form down at the tax office. Once you have the "green sheet" in your hand saying it passed inspection it is all down hill from there.

You DON'T need to spend the big bux to pass in Texas. If you need or want turn signals, Kevin Hines has a REALLY SLICK deal out now. He integrated the blinkers into the headlight shell and taillight/plate holder and has an all-in-one switch assembly. Really sano. Check it out - http://www.elineaccessories.com/gifs/E-Line2.jpg

Good luck getting it working and enjoy your new ride!

------------------
TexKDX

FoofRider

Sep 5, 2000
Thanks for all the good info. That eline setup is pretty nice, but the price tag is a bit much. I'm glad to hear it's not too tough to get it to pass here.

------------------

Down Under

Mar 21, 2001
The Australian version of the 520EXC comes street legal as standard. Lights, blinkers, horn etc. Am sure you could order these from KTM - as for the price?

------------------
"The older I get, the faster I was!"

01 KTM 520EXC
98 Honda XR400

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
DRN member: ktmrider has 'converted' at least 2 RFS bikes to be registered in Michigan. Drop him an email, I don't think he'd mind sharing all the details. I've seen the bikes, and he has done an A1 job.

------------------

creator8

Jul 22, 2000
I street legalized mine using all the KTM Euro Parts. You will get a parts manual with your bike, you can work out what you need from that. Definitely go with the KTM switch assembly no matter what you do. All the other dual sport conversions use cheap japanese moped switches. The KTM stuff is the way to go.

------------------
ktm 520exc
xr440

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
One very major point of concern. I understand that you are planning to use your 520 (or 400 for that matter) for very short trips to get on and off the trails. That's okay. Remember, your KTM was designed as a "RACE BIKE" and not a street bike. I know that there are certain models of 520's out there that have street kits on them because I've seen them. My dealer had one and I passed it up upon his recommendation.

Remember the amount of oil that is in your bike is limited, the gearing is set for the trails so limit your street riding to whats really necessary.

Riding enduros is one thing and thats okay because you mix the slow and fast speeds and thats what the bike craves. Some guys will forget the real reason the bike was made for in the first place and thats racing. They will ride the street all the time and cause unnecessary wear on the drive train for which it was not intended.

------------------

FoofRider

Sep 5, 2000
I totally agree. The RFS's tranny was not made for street riding. What we have here in SW Texas is thousands of miles of dirt roads through the desert and mountains. Since they are public roads, your bike is supposed to be licensed to drive on them. Even though the chances of being stopped and the bike checked out are pretty slim in such remote areas, I still like to stay within the law.

------------------

FoofRider

Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by creator8:
I street legalized mine using all the KTM Euro Parts.

Were you able to order the needed parts through your local dealer? How much did it cost? I would love to do the conversion using KTM parts.

------------------

SlowJack

Jul 27, 2000
A word of caution here -- and I don't mean to be a stick-in-the-mud -- but KTM strongly recommends that you not dual-sport an RFS. 5th and 6th gears are wimpy, as they are intended only for rare and occasional use. Apparently oil temperature and engine temperature are also of great concern, although quite frankly I'm not sure I understand why. There may also be issues of extended mono-speed operation with the cam and timing chains.

CAN you do it? Of course. SHOULD you do it? I'm not certain whether it's a good idea or not. Might better check carefully with someone who is truly knowledgable about KTM four-strokes before you get in too deep.

------------------

FoofRider

Sep 5, 2000
It can't be all that bad if they come already dual sported from the factory in the European and Australian markets.

------------------

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
Full Time Dual Sporting. I'm sorry but I've got to much invested to go and try attacking any warranty issues when written disclaimers abound.

------------------

FoofRider

Sep 5, 2000
For someone interested in full time dual sporting, KTM's LC4 based bikes would be a much better choice. I might even have considered them if the seat height wasn't too much for me.

------------------

creator8

Jul 22, 2000
You guys are missing the point. If this bike is so fragile that you should never use it on the street: a. how come its delivered street legal in the rest of the world and b. it would therefore be too fragile for desert racing. I personally think the main reason these bikes are delivered and only recommended for racing is that KTM didn't want to go any where near the associated smog issues. Also they don't want to cannibalize sales on their other off road bikes delivered for street use.

As far as KTM's "warranty", my experience with them on that isn't going to affect any decisions on how I use the bike. They didn't stand behind it for me when my bike stopped running after the first 3 miles, but thats another story.

I am not a racer any more. I ride "extreme" off road and out here in the west you need to be street legal to get the most out of the riding areas. I know this isn't a street bike and I don't ride it like its a street bike. But I want the ultimate off road machine and a street legal 520exc with an mxc tank is that.

I've got over a thousand miles on mine now and that includes a small amount of street use connecting trails. I've had zero problems with the motor and drive train. As long as you maintain the bike as recommended and are aware not to be popping wheelies on tarmac, everthing will be fine.

As far as where I got my parts: I actually got them from a dealer in England but I understand you can order them from U.S. dealers.

------------------
ktm 520exc
xr440

manganos

Apr 6, 2001
Buy mine
smile.gif
www.go3team.com/manganos/images/ktm640.jpg ..I talked to the dealer about lowering the seat height and he said to cut some foam out of the seat????
Originally posted by FoofRider:
For someone interested in full time dual sporting, KTM's LC4 based bikes would be a much better choice. I might even have considered them if the seat height wasn't too much for me.

------------------

FoofRider

Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by creator8:
I've got over a thousand miles on mine now and that includes a small amount of street use connecting trails. I've had zero problems with the motor and drive train. As long as you maintain the bike as recommended and are aware not to be popping wheelies on tarmac, everthing will be fine.

I was just about to post how I was beginning to doubt whether the RFS would be the bike I wanted for open desert/dirt road riding, but your post has put my fears to rest. I officially ordered the bike today, but don't know when it will actually get here. Hopefully soon!

------------------

Top Bottom