sylobeg

Oct 6, 2008
Just bought a kdx 200, older 1986. Just wanted to know what to bring on the trails. Do you bring a backpack?
Spare oil? First aid? a phone? Bible?
I would like to try cedar creek in Muskegon, and the trail up by Bitely.

How are the trails?
Are they 2 tracks?
Are they dirt?
Are they trails?
Are they hills?
All of the above?

How long will it take to make a run, and are there gas stations accessable?

Sorry about all the dang questions, thanks for the help

sylobeg

Oct 6, 2008
Oh one other thing. Do I need just an orv sticker or some sort of trail sticker as well?

Are the trails marked? Can yyou camp along in the woods or is that a recipe for disaster?

I am hoping to go this weekend November the 1st, supposed to be good weather

See you in the dust

Thanks again

sylobeg

Oct 6, 2008
Sorry, one more thing I forgot.
I am 46 years old, do I need to plan on a short ride to get used to the bumps and bruises?

No making fun of us older riders, you young punks under 40 lol.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Bring some water, snack bar, maybe a spare spark plug and a few basic tools. Cell phone is a good idea; riding buddy even better.
You do need an ORV Sticker (any place that sells hunting licenses can get you one, or right from the DNR online).
The trail up near Bitely is the MCCCT and/or Big O trail; both require ORV sticker AND street license (license plate from Secretary of State). Without the license plate you are restricted to marked ORV trails (orange triangle). Cedar Creek only needs ORV sticker.

Cedar Creek would be an alright learning trail (not the best trail out there, but have to start some place). Most of it's 50" wide, sandy. Trails are marked with orange triangles.

Video of that trail (maps/info too) here:
http://www.vvmapping.com/trails/cedarCreek.html

More information related to ORV riding in MI here:
http://www.vvmapping.com/trails/trailLegal.html

Info from DNR:
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_15070---,00.html

ORV Handbook for MI:
http://www.offroad-ed.com/mi/handbook/

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Lets get together in the spring and explore them trails!

Sylobeg,
I'm hoping to try out those trails myself in the spring, once I get my bike ready for ORV & road registration. I just wanted to reply to let you know that you are not the only mid-40's man who is getting back into bikes. I'm near Lansing. Last Thursday I took the bike up to Ionia where they have a motocross practice track, and I practiced some berms, turns, and jumps over there. I ran a gallon of fuel through the bike, and discovered that after 16 laps (about 16 miles), I was pretty whipped out, especially in the tops of the legs and thighs. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were spent hobbling around with some of the sorest muscles I've had in twenty years! If you are not squatting yet, then you probably should start. Do a half-squat, and count to sixty, and feel the burn. It'll help you get in shape for when you mount that KDX and ride.

Lets see about getting the bikes out in the spring. Mine's still pure motorcross, so until I can ORV it, put a real muffler on it, and get some lights, I'm restricted to daylight ORV-only.

You and I will be a good match, I'd imagine-- Two veterans with a rather high perceived risk versus reward ratio, looking for offroad fun with minimal injury potential...

Oh, and I nearly forgot: The state of Michigan is pretty liberal in terms of enabling you to plate that KDX. That would really open up the trail system for you. SOS sent me a step by step process or getting a license plate on that machine. Essentially, since yours is old enough, you certify you ar ethe owner, get it ORV legal, then apply for a self-assembled bike title. The state of Michigan reviews your receipts for the stuff you did to make it road legal, inspects the bike, then they create a new VIN for the bike, stick it on the head stem, and issue you a street title. Then you go to Progressive.com, get your insurance, and go get a license plate. It's pretty straightforward I hear, and since the KDX already has rudimentary lights, it shouldn't be much of a stretch to get a license plate.

Last edited:

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Jeremy, You are a member of GLDS? Cool. I've been a member of the AMA since '89, but I've yet to join anything local. I am thinking of joing the MCCC. Maybe GLDS, if I can push through the plating process and get the WR dual-sported. Muffler selection has been a problem, I still haven't found a good solution, though I might just quit trying to do everything the hard way by buying an FMF TurbineCore then equipping it with a Dbsnorkel. What I really want to do is fit up a FMF Q-stealth from a KTM, and TIG weld it in as necessary. How do GLDS riders with 2-stroke motors deal with fuel and premix on their rides? Do you guys ride easy enough such that Syloberg and I could keep up without crashing our brains out and busting off the handlebars on every other ride? Do you trailer your bikes to the rides first, or ride them straight across the state before hitting the trails? How many miles is a ride on a typical day?

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
GLDS will be (I bet) a perfect match for either of you gents, once you are plated. Our rides are typically mostly forest road/two track, some single track (not much and no whoops) and a bit of pavement to tie into gas stations.

95% trailer, 80% camp. Typical long day is 120 miles, short day is 80 (so 200 miles average on a weekend ride). It's relaxed, self-paced, scenic riding. With some challenges to keep it interesting. Mid-40s is our median age. Just don't be ashamed when a 70+ rider makes a section look easy.

DSC09000.JPG

DSC08970.JPG

PS - Give me a shout if you have any questions about GLDS. jvalley@mac.com

Makeshoes

Nov 9, 2004
ws6transam said:
How do GLDS riders with 2-stroke motors deal with fuel and premix on their rides?

I ride a '02 KDX on the GLDS rides. I just carry a bottle of 2 stroke mix with me. I take an educated guess as to how much fuel I've use and add that much oil and then add gas to mix it up. However, the first thing I do is to shut off the petcock. Otherwise you could get a slug of oil only down the carb and then your fun day could turn less fun. This past year was my first and definately not my last. It's great fun and it's at your own pace, give it a try! Good Luck!
:nod:

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
I am old too. I always carry a bottle of water, spare plug, cell phone and a GPS so I tell the Life Flight helicopet where to pick me up. I would also like to do a DS ride as I just plated my X.

bross

Jan 8, 2006
sylobeg said:
Just bought a kdx 200, older 1986. Just wanted to know what to bring on the trails. Do you bring a backpack?
Spare oil? First aid? a phone? Bible?
I would like to try cedar creek in Muskegon, and the trail up by Bitely.

How are the trails?
Are they 2 tracks?
Are they dirt?
Are they trails?
Are they hills?
All of the above?

How long will it take to make a run, and are there gas stations accessable?

Sorry about all the dang questions, thanks for the help

I can't speak about Bitely, but I can give you a little info about Cedar Creek.

The trails have plenty of whoops, but the south loop has a bit less than the north loop. They have a combination of some hills (small) and both sand and dirt. There are a couple tight spots but overall it's pretty open. I'm a pretty slow rider and it usually takes me about 30-45 minutes to ride (I take breaks, etc) each loop. I'll take a break in between loops for a drink and some munchies.

You'll only need an ORV sticker and spark arrestor / silencer as long as you stick to the trails marked with orange ORV markings on the trees.

I have seen people camping out there, so I'd imagine it's an OK thing to do but I don't do it. There are a couple gas stations within a few miles of the trail system but you can't access them on your bike without risking a ticket from the police / DNR.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Good info Bross.

FYI, the title arrived in the mail for my WR500 the other day. A nice, regular run of the mill motorcycle title. Step 1 completed!

I also have a new FMF turbinecore USFS muffler. It turns out that Groves Motorsports in Mason, MI had the best price anywhere, even better than the mail order shops. I'm pretty happy with their service department. They even beat the best internet deal I could find on new Alpinestars Tech 7 boots. About $220 + tax.

Top Bottom