Safety gear in order of important

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
1. Helmet......most important part of my body
2. Boots........even though my back is more important, the feet take alot more abuse
3. Goggles.....eyes are next
4. Back protection....do not want any injuries here
5. Knee braces.....would not ride without
6. Neck brace.......feel naked without one
7. Kindey belt.......got to keep my insides together
8. Chest protector.....hurts to ride behind someone without
9. Pants...............protect my skin
10. Elbow pads.....glad I wear em
11. Gloves...........no blisters wanted
12. Compression shorts...don't know where to list this?
13. Jersey............the 1st item I would choose not to wear

YZ Joust

Master of Jackassery
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 21, 2002
Reply from a quad rider:

Dear Thermal,

I have reviewed your safety gear list and I am amazed at the amount of gear that is required w/ 2-wheels. Please let me explain w/ my list of safety gear:

1. Beer holder.... Most important cuz you don't want anything to happen to your beer.
2. Beer...... Beer is actually as important as the beer holder but I listed the holder first so my beer will be protected
3. More beer..... The more I drink the less I feel.... I don't need no stinkin' protective gear......

Don't believe me?? Here, watch this........

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
This is why I love this site...........never know the response you will get.

If I rode quads...I just might agree with the quad rider.

Watch what?

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
That's just Joust implying that the last thing quad riders say before they die or end up in a hospital is, "Here, watch this..."

It's really more like, "Hold my beer and watch this...." ;)

YZ Joust

Master of Jackassery
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 21, 2002
Actually, all quad riders aren't bad.... for example here is a list of my brother's protective gear (I'm sorry to say he is a quad rider but he takes the bike for a spin every now and then)

Helmet, goggles, boots, EVS ballistic jersey, pants, gloves and he has no beer holder.....

We go riding in WV and both of us have the same protective gear on that is listed above..... Sometimes we see other quaders riding w/ tennis shoes, shorts, no shirt and a baseball cap for head protection..... They look at us like we're wussies or something.....

Mucho protective gear= More riding time w/o serious injury

I don't care if I look like a "Storm Trooper" from Star Wars, all I know is I'll be riding longer than the idiot riding w/o a helmet....

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I agree with all but one of the placings, I couldn't imagine wearing a CP with no jersey, the plastic would rub horribly :scream:

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
Yep, goggles are right behind helmet in my book!

Then :
boots (almost broke my ankle last week, without boots I would be back on my crutches again. Heck, I'm lucky it was my first ride with my new Tech 6s, b/c if I would have been wearing my old Oniels, I would have been toast.)
Knee pads
CP
Gloves
pants
jersey

That is all the gear I have I think. So that is the extent of my list.

PS - I just love when the helmetless quad rider rides the track backwards while we are on a break. All the turns on this particular track are blind as blind can be!

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
On a serious note, what is the actual purpose of a kidney belt? I used to wear one, but thought it was pointless. I am now interested in wearing one agian if I can determine an actual use for one.

Thanks.

Adrenaline

Mod Ban
Oct 26, 2001
actually when I go to take my bike for a spin out in our field to dry it off I shake nervously without my helmet and boot's. I think of what could happen to me regardless if it's just a quick type ride

my gear...
Helmet (HJC)
Boot's (Tech 6's)
Kidney belt (Shift)
Goggles (Spy)
Chest Protector (No Fear)
Pants (No Fear)
Gloves (No Fear)
Jersey (No Fear)

Adrenaline

YZ Joust

Master of Jackassery
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 21, 2002
Originally posted by fatty_k
On a serious note, what is the actual purpose of a kidney belt? I used to wear one, but thought it was pointless. I am now interested in wearing one agian if I can determine an actual use for one.

Thanks.

Keeps you from damaging your kidneys, etc. I know I'm hurting if I go riding w/o one.....

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
A kidney belt protects your kidneys and holds everything from shakin' around inside :) From what I heard organs bouncing around inside can do quite a bit of damage, not sure how much water that holds though. In a crash you certainly dont want a rock or something on the bike hitting your kidneys though :eek:

Last edited:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
On a serious note, what is the actual purpose of a kidney belt? I used to wear one, but thought it was pointless. I am now interested in wearing one agian if I can determine an actual use for one

that one just took a very large trip over the bars followed by landing on my back followed by urinating in a cup for the nurse to see if i had ruptured a vital organ to figure out!

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I never woulda guessed how important bark busters are in preventing an injury. Did a huge high speed swapper at a motocross track and tried to drive the throttle side of thebars into the ground by placing my chest against the left side bar end with extreme force. I swear if I didnt have bark busters and a chest protector I would be sitting in the hospital witha pair of renthals sticking out of my chest

Last edited:

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Ok, thanks guys. I will wear a kidney belt on todays ride. I already have enough "free floating mass" if ya know what I mean. ;) I'll keep it all tucked in with a kidney belt. :)

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
drtbkr why cant you ride with a CP?

My list of gear (in no particular order)

Thor Helmet, Goggles.
Thor Pants
Fox jersey
Answer Team2 Boots
PAwtector Gloves
Roost2 CP

Soon to come: Kneepads, and a kidney belt

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I don't wear a neck brace, but I've been thinking about it. I bought my elbow guards right before I went to the Ladies Off-Road school in Oregon and let's just say the scrapes would have been a LOT worse if I didn't have them on. I think about that every time I put them on now.

The helmet has got to be the best protection and most important, I've never ridden my bike without the helmet.

One time I was going up a hill and got too squirelly and lost control and landed "on" some shrubs/bushes facing up. It was almost like just laying on a hammock or a bunch of pillows. I was laughing so hard, I could not get out. That was the only time I probably didn't need my protective gear because it was the sweetest crash I ever took. :)

My legs/knees take the worst of everything, I'm always bruised up, usually the shins. You'd think I didn't wear shin/knee guards but I do! :think: And I honestly think I would have broken ankles or at least a severe sprain by now if it were not for the boots.

Last edited:

Honda26

Mar 17, 2002
i have
jersey-thor
pants-thor
boots-Alpinestar Vector
goggles-scott
Helmet-some cheap brand from the local Honda shop( $99 bucks) ( i know im gonna get bashed for that.. but so far its saved my hard head a few times)
gloves-thor
dont wear a kidney belt... chest protector... knee pads(want some)....elbow pads....neck brace

Optik

Mod Ban
Dec 27, 2001
Why hasn't anyone mentioned a hydration system? I'd have that up in the number 2 or 3 spot. I dont know if its considered gear but I sure wouldnt ride without one.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I haven't worn a kidney belt for about 8 or 10 years. They always drove me nuts because they would "ride up" way to high on my waist. And they didn't seem to work right unless you tucked in your jersey, which I hate doing...I do that enough for work!

If I start tucking in my jersey, that would almost suggest I care how I look, and I don't want to go there! And the next logical step would be actually trying to wear gear that matches...ugghh!

I tried, unsuccessfully, to drink enough beer to install a "kidney belt stabilization device" on my belly...still working on this, no luck so far. :aj:

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Helmet-some cheap brand from the local Honda shop( $99 bucks) ( i know im gonna get bashed for that.. but so far its saved my hard head a few times)

the cheaper helmet doesn't bother me as much as using an old helmet that has already saved you skull. I'm not sure but once you get past a certain point of protection higher cost helmets are pretty much only lighter and more comfortable< a very good plus in their own right >. If you crash often I would think a new cheap helmet everytime you ride would offer more protection that an old helmelt that has done its purpose. But... having a cheap helmet that you already crashed in well can you say double indemnity?

I tried, unsuccessfully, to drink enough beer to install a "kidney belt stabilization device" on my belly...still working on this, no luck so far.
well tleast your exercising the kidneys :)

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
It surprises me at how many of you seem to rate a chest protector rather low on your list. I rate it right up there with a helmet. A chest protector isn't there to keep roost from hitting you, it's there to stop things like handlebars from stabbing you in a crash.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I tell my boys that the first line of safety is the mechanical integrity of the bike itself.
Once my bike is sound, I like to think that all my gear has a part to play in safety. I do rate the helmet, boots, braces, and chest protector as the most important. I also wear a kidney belt, and a wrist brace(got a plate in the left). Jeff's Handsavers have also made a believer out of me on many occassions, trail and track.
This year I also added the little noseguard on my goggles.

I don't want to leave out the importance of good gear either. Although I'm one of the idiots who often rides in shorts and a tee shirt, (flame away, Im thick skinned :) ) I do find that the materials that modern gear is made of sure helps with things like washouts and such. Much better looking, faster healing, wounds with kevlar burning you rather than cotton tearing and embedding dirt and sand into the wounds. Good gear does serve a purpose past looking trick.

Last edited:

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Jaybird, I agree with the bike part. In fact my list goes something like this before I ride.

Day prior to ride: Go completly over bike
Night prior to ride: Get at least 8 hrs of sleep
Day of ride:Helmet
Goggles
Jersey
Chest Protector
Spine protector
Pants
Knee Pads
Boots
I can ride with less than 8hrs of sleep. In fact when I'm working I don't normally get over 6 hrs of sleep. But I can't ride unless I'm well rested.

Top Bottom