angst2

May 24, 2001
Ive set the sag on many bikes. My latest purchase a new to me 2001 yz125 I have not been able for the life of me to get the spring adjuster to spin around.
Ususally I have been able to loosen the lock and hit the adjustor with a screwdriver and a hammer to spin it down to where it needed to be.
I even tried making my own spring compressor tool and it still didnt take enough pressure off to crank down. Am I going to have to dis-assemble it to make it work? What am I doing wrong?
It is currently set for about 160lb and I need to crank it down for my 200lb size.

DRZ_Dad

Apr 21, 2004
Put the bike on a stand so the rear suspension hangs freely, I dont know if it's the case but check closely and make sure the spanner nut does not have a allen head set screw,
You are prolly gonna need a stiffer spring though, to work right for your size.

angst2

May 24, 2001
ooh, really Ill check in the morning for a set screw. Im inclined to doubt it though. I did manage to get the thing around a couple revolutions and did not see shards of metal coming out other than the damage I was doing to the external teeth on the adjuster nut.
I did have the suspension unweighted on a stand. I even tried disconnecting the shock at the bottom of the suspension but this did not seem to help unload the spring.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
I do believe only the KTM´S have a set screw ? It really shouldnt be that hard to turn , as you know...
Try to put some penetrating oil , WD 40 or what ever in there and let it soak in for an hour or two....
I have never had trouble doing this , and really think its a matter of lube to make the adjuster spin freely...

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Hit the collar with some penetrating oil spray and let it sit for a night. Then try to move it the next day. For 200lb rider on that bike I used to use a 5.25KG spring.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom