Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Just walked in the door with my new Scotts Damper and it's going on my 01 125sx. Any suggestions on settings to start with. I'm mostly riding mx on soft dirt with deep, rough acceleration & braking bumps.

PhastPhart

Dec 15, 2000
Scotts

Scotts comes with a really good manual. Read it and you will know a lot on the capabilities of the Dampner. The thing most people miss is the ability to set the angle of the sweep. There are two adjustment screws on the sides to set the angle. I set mine for the center 15 degrees so it releases in the tight corners but I have full dampening on the high speed straights. The guys at Scotts are happy to answer your questions too.

Good luck!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
My instructions say when the sweep is set in the 3:00 position damping is 54 degrees and 9:00 would be 34 degrees. When you say you set yours for 15 degrees where would the indicator be pointed?

I'm anxious to try this thing out but it looks like it's going to be another week before I get to ride.

Thanks for your help, it looks like it's going to be easy to adjust but I'm not going to have much time to tinker with it before my next race and I was hoping someone could give me a good place to start from based on experianced users.
Thanks again

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
My first ride with my Scotts was a 40 mile H/S, I started the race at 12 clicks out, (from all the way in), half way through the race I went four clicks in, it made a noticeable improvement, especially when you start getting tired. I would suggest starting at 10 clicks out, and dont be affraid to turn it in a couple clicks when you start getting tired. I now start every race at 8 clicks out.

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
Depends

Are you riding Desert, MX, HS, woods? Read the manual.. I ride Dez and have mine set as wide as possible and about 12-15 clics out.. Don't go more than 15 clics out or it won't hardly do anything. The farther you have it set in (less clics) the more it affects the low speed dampening.. Wanna see? turn it all the way in and while the bike is on the stand, jerk the bars quickly in one direction,.. The thing should hardly turn.. .. Go to 12 clics and do the same.. This should give you an idea of what to expect.. Just rememebr , the more clics, the more it only affects the high speed dampening..
Sweep depends also on what you are doing.. For MX I would set it as narrow as possible.. For Dez I set mine wide.. Once again READ and STUDY THE MANUAL

Last edited:

PhastPhart

Dec 15, 2000
Scotts

Hey Jeff,

What I meant was 15 degress off center or the 34degree setting. The bevel should at the 9 o'clock postion.

The control valve adjusts the resistence at low and medium speeds. The manual also tells you that the more low speed dampening you have, the less high speed. So more low speed = less high speed and vice versa. You really shouldn't feel hardly any resistence at low speeds but when you glance off a rock in fifth, it should not try to rip the bars out of your hands.

I ride a KTM 300 and a 520 and it really helps that wandering feeling in the front end and the headshake when you hit those sqaure edge bumps. It will make you faster.

Hope this helps.

Gregg

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Thanks Gregg

After reading the manual it looks pretty straight forward. I'm missing the pinch bolt on the ring bracket so I'm not going to be able to install till Tuesday.

I'm hoping my local track will dry out enough for a little test by next Saturday but it's looking doubtful, it's hard pack black dirt. I probably will end up testing during practice at the races next Sunday morning because where I'm racing next week is sandy loam & the wetter the better. It should be a good place to test it out because it does get rough there.

Top Bottom