CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
This post is more about Scott's Performance shop that a particular prodect. I first called them with a few questions on their steering damper. Dave (I think) was really super helpful and friendly on the phone. Great service. He checked on some things for me regarding my bike & called me back (how many companies do that?). So I took the plunge & drove to their shop. What can I say, I'm an instant gratification guy & wanted that device mounted for the next day's ride. I introduced myself to Dave when I walked in and he said "wait a sec..." and brought over a rebuilt damper to show me. Apparently a lot of big name guys get several dampers & as they fade in the sun (loses the gold hue), Scott's switches them out them out so that they look good & rebuilds them. Practically new. "They are new... better than new, because we'll stand behind them even more - so you don't think we're trying to sell you a piece of ****" explained Dave. It was $225, $95 below new, with all new seals, valves etc.

Just wanted to let you guys know that if $320 is more than you can afford, call these guys about a rebuilt. $225 is what people are trying to sell used ones for. If you call their shop, you can get one that's been rebuilt/serviced/inspected for the same price. Bargain shoppers of the world unite! :thumb:

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
My experiences would lead me to believe that they have so many rebuilds for sale because they are always breaking down. After about 2 seasons, I went through 2 different Scotts Dampners and finally switched to A GPR. The Scotts kept failing on me and I got tired of wearing pink oil in my lap from the button poping off.

If you want a new, unmolested dampner for around $320 with all the hardware nessessary to use, and can't worry about failures and expensive serving charges(GPR's are free) buy GPR and never look back.

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
No. It is a smooth progressive dampening system. There are no gaps or setings which dampening is reduced or stops. The GPR also has a BIG knob and numbers on it for easy on the fly changes. With te Scotts, even though it clicks, you can't feel it it you are on the go so if you land between settings, you'll never know.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
None of the many folks I know that run Scott's dampers, myself included, have ever had any problems with them. I'd rate them as highly reliable. Not commenting on what's best. Just giving another perspective.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Do you have a website or a phone #, for GPR
Thanks

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
My bike came with a Scotts damper from '98. It's a little faded but still works as well as ever. When I hear about product problems, well it makes me wonder what kind of abuse a person puts their bike through.

Lee W.

Top Bottom