tomthumb

Apr 12, 2000
I just received a new seat cover, tall foam, and base. I want to make sure that the cover gets installed correctly the first time. If you have any tricks or suggestions please feel free to let the rip (pun intended).

------------------
When in doubt, Twist IT!
Y2K KTM 300 EXC
99 KX100 (son)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I've put a few on and they are never easy for me. It does help to heat it up a little prior to installing and also a staple gun helps alot. I did find installation tips on a graphics company page somewhere but I can't remember where it was. They suggested throwing it in the dryer first but I thought that a little extreme so I just used a hair dryer. It takes patience.
frown.gif

------------------
"Nature Boy"

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Hair dryer is the ticket. Jeff nailed the most important factor, patience. It is really not that hard. An assistant can also be a plus.

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

quasimoto

Jan 23, 2001
Ditto what has been said so far. TAKE YOUR TIME, heat the cover. I used contact cement on the base and the cover, then used a regular staple gun with 3/8 long staples, then went back and hammered the staples the rest of the way in. Turned out just fine. Incidently, if you are putting on the MS taller seat foam and cover, I have been very pleased with that setup. At 6'2", the taller foam was just right and the added bonus was a softer seat. The only downside is that the seat graphics did not hold up too well and look old after six months of use. Maybe they have had complaints and have fixed that problem by now. Good luck.

SnackSnack

Sep 22, 2000
Don't stick the staples out the side of the seat, through the new seat cover...NOT THAT I DID.

------------------
The harder I work, the luckier I get.

2000 KTM 400sx

[This message has been edited by SnackSnack (edited 02-11-2001).]

dkmccarty5

Aug 30, 2000
Place the new seat cover inside a moist bath towel - place in dryer for 10-15 minutes on "medium" heat. Lay out flat on newspaper, spray edges with 3M Spray Adhesive. Spray underside of seat and edges of seat foam. Allow spray adhesive to "cure" for 10-15 minutes. Place new seat cover over seat - making a "tent" shape. Stretch over back and fold under. The adhesive will hold in place. Staple back. Starting at back, continue to work sides - first left, then right, and stretch cover. Tuck underneath, and adhesive will hold. Staple as you go. Total time: 20-30 minutes. Cover will be very taunt, adhesive will hold, and staples will be permanent. No wrinkles, no "cuss" words. Works great.

Mike-200

Aug 22, 2000
I would suggest spraying some waterproofing suff like camp-dry on it. This will boost the life of the foam. The enduro engineering ones are hard to put on, but are very durable. The other brands are much easier, as they stretch better. What kind of shape is your old seat in? Do you think it will fit my 200. If so, then I might be interested in buying it from you, if you want to sell it. Get back to me.

------------------
'98 ktm 200exc

tomthumb

Apr 12, 2000
Thanks for all the input. I am going to try putting it on tonight. I purchased contact cement and an electric staple gun just for this job. It sounds like applying heat is one of the major factors to getting a pro result.

Mike - For now, I plan to hang on to the old seat as a backup.

tomthumb

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Another tip: The KTM seat base is tough, and you have to keep pressure on the staple gun or it will bounce off, leaving you with a bent staple barely in the plastic.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Local car seat upolstery guy does 'em for $10. Just bring em the old seat and the new seat cover. They do this for a living, and do a heck of alot better than I do, and I've recovered maybe 10 seats in my life.

No bruises to the palms of my hands from my stapler, either.

tomthumb

Apr 12, 2000
Let just say that I probably wont try that again.
rolleyes.gif
The local KTM shop has a guy who has recovering experience and the tools to put seat covers on for $20.00. Instead, I thought if I spent the 20 bucks on electric stapler and glue at the end of the job I would have a good looking installed seat cover and a new electric stapler for chores around the house. What in the #$%% was I thinking.

Yes, I got the cover on after about four hours a wrestling the with the staple gun, a bunch of staples and darn cover. Glenn you are correct the plastic the seat base is hard as a rock. I got staples in all the way around but it sometimes took ten shots just to get them in correctly. I'm afraid that later in the season I may have problems with the cover tearing on the underneath side from all the little holes.

The suggestions on glue and heat worked great. Instead of a heat gun, I used my kerosene heater to heat the cover up. It looks good and tight and hopefully will last this season.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

tomthumb

Top Bottom